Nashbar Trekking Handlebars

ed

Guest
Anyone have any experience with the Nashbar ATB/Treking bars? Do you
need to disconnect all your cables in order to remount grip shifters
and brakes? What can be used to pad the extra length of the bars? I
noticed the bars at detours.us but $125.00 is too much. Is there an
extention for mounting a bag bag?

Thanks

Ed

[email protected] (ed) wrote in news:62e453ed.0407201250.53259c61
@posting.google.com:

> Anyone have any experience with the Nashbar ATB/Treking bars?

I recently got one, but haven't put it on the bike yet (see below).

> Do you
> need to disconnect all your cables in order to remount grip shifters
> and brakes?

I don't think so. Just slide the grip shift off the end of your current
bar, and it will slide on the inside ends of the Trekker bar.

> What can be used to pad the extra length of the bars?

I'm going to wrap mine in padded bar tape, like this person did:

http://tinyurl.com/5ds8a

Notice the gripshifters.

> noticed the bars at detours.us but $125.00 is too much. Is there an
> extention for mounting a bag bag?

The Nashbar trekker bar doesn't have a T-bar extension like the ITM
Butterfly (I assume that's the one you're talking about --
http://tinyurl.com/6zqom), but you could get something like a Minoura
Space Grip (clamp-on T bar) that might work.

Note: with the Nashbar version you'll need a new stem, to adjust for the
roughly 2" setback of the "main" bars from the stem. Otherwise you'll be
sitting more upright than you are now. And you may also want the stem to
be a little higher, so the furthest-out bar section is tilted up
relative to the main bars. I needed the longest and highest-angle Salsa
stem I could find, to get the main bar of the Nashbar version located
about where my current flat bars are, while at the same time placing the
forward bars a little higher for the stretched-out position. And I'm
still not sure it's going to work until I actually try it, after the
stem arrives. I have a feeling I may go through another stem or two,
maybe an extender on the headset... before I get the bar placed
perfectly.

From the photo on the detours.us web site, it looks like the ITM
Butterfly bars put the "main" bar about where it would normally be,
relative to the stem, so maybe that's an advantage for that model. On
the other hand, the Nashbar version is a lot cheaper, and I like the
fact that it's one piece of tubing. I'm a heavy rider and I like solid
bars. That ITM thing looks a little complicated, possibly flimsier than
the Nashbar version.

--
Mike Barrs

"ed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone have any experience with the Nashbar ATB/Treking bars? Do you
> need to disconnect all your cables in order to remount grip shifters
> and brakes? What can be used to pad the extra length of the bars? I
> noticed the bars at detours.us but $125.00 is too much. Is there an
> extention for mounting a bag bag?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ed

For my trekking bars I got a long set of foam grips from Grab-On Products
(509-529-9800). The grips are about 18" long. They don't sell them at bike
shops, but Grab-On sold them to me directly. They were a special item
Grab-On made for some customer, and they had a pile of them left over (about
10 months ago when I got mine). The package was labeled "Mountain Cruz" and
also included some standard mtb grips which aren't needed for the trekking
bars.