Nashbar Trekking vs. Sugino XD-300 cranks

JBAFromNY

Guest
As my chain gets more and more reluctant to climb onto my worn out
(and marginally useful 52 tooth) big ring, I've been watching the
sales and considering these two items:

Nashbar "trekking" crank with 48-38-28 rings and an ISIS BB for 54.99

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...by Subcat: Nashbar Brand Web Sale-Road Cranks

Sugino XD-300 crank with 46-36-26 rings and a square tapered BB for
$59.99 (I've seen it for less occasionally, but that's the cheapest
I've seen recently)

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks/11074.html

I like the tooth counts on the Nashbar more, but have heard rumblings
that ISIS BBs are not so hot. This would be for a mix of commuting
and pleasure riding. I live at the top of a long, extremely steep
hill, and I'm a clydesdale, so I need the triple. Any thoughts,
experiences, etc. with either of these products would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

On Aug 6, 9:40 am, JBAFromNY <[email protected]> wrote:
> As my chain gets more and more reluctant to climb onto my worn out
> (and marginally useful 52 tooth) big ring, I've been watching the
> sales and considering these two items:
>
> Nashbar "trekking" crank with 48-38-28 rings and an ISIS BB for 54.99
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=600081&subcategory=600010...
>
> Sugino XD-300 crank with 46-36-26 rings and a square tapered BB for
> $59.99 (I've seen it for less occasionally, but that's the cheapest
> I've seen recently)
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks/11074.html
>
> I like the tooth counts on the Nashbar more, but have heard rumblings
> that ISIS BBs are not so hot. This would be for a mix of commuting
> and pleasure riding. I live at the top of a long, extremely steep
> hill, and I'm a clydesdale, so I need the triple. Any thoughts,
> experiences, etc. with either of these products would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> John

I'd recommend the Sugino because of the square taper bottom bracket.
You will always be able to get them. The difference in rings is not
enough to worry about. I have switched between 48 and 46 on a bike I
have. 46x12 or 48x12 high gear. I can notice the smaller high with
the 46. But after a few hours it doesn't matter. My smallest ring
stays the same so no difference.

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 07:40:46 -0700, JBAFromNY wrote:

> As my chain gets more and more reluctant to climb onto my worn out
> (and marginally useful 52 tooth) big ring, I've been watching the
> sales and considering these two items:
>
> Nashbar "trekking" crank with 48-38-28 rings and an ISIS BB for 54.99
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...by Subcat: Nashbar Brand Web Sale-Road Cranks
>
> Sugino XD-300 crank with 46-36-26 rings and a square tapered BB for
> $59.99 (I've seen it for less occasionally, but that's the cheapest
> I've seen recently)

The XD cranks are very popular with owners of touring bikes and other
proponents of "sensible gearing." You can get lots and lots of opinions at:

http://search.bikelist.org/?SearchString=sugino AND xd

I have the XD600 crank on my touring bike (same as XD300 but with aluminum
outer and middle ring) and have no complaints. As a fellow clydesdale,
however, I do sometimes wonder if I should move away from the square taper
interface.

On Aug 6, 7:40 am, JBAFromNY <[email protected]> wrote:
> As my chain gets more and more reluctant to climb onto my worn out
> (and marginally useful 52 tooth) big ring, I've been watching the
> sales and considering these two items:
>
> Nashbar "trekking" crank with 48-38-28 rings and an ISIS BB for 54.99
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=600081&subcategory=600010...
>
> Sugino XD-300 crank with 46-36-26 rings and a square tapered BB for
> $59.99 (I've seen it for less occasionally, but that's the cheapest
> I've seen recently)
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks/11074.html
>
> I like the tooth counts on the Nashbar more, but have heard rumblings
> that ISIS BBs are not so hot. This would be for a mix of commuting
> and pleasure riding. I live at the top of a long, extremely steep
> hill, and I'm a clydesdale, so I need the triple. Any thoughts,
> experiences, etc. with either of these products would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Don't even bother venturing into ISIS-land on a bike that actually
gets used a lot and that you'd like to be reliable. Not everyone's
experiences with it are terrible, but close enough IMO...

You might get the XD and a 48t ring for it. Steel rings are pretty
cheap.

On Aug 6, 9:40 am, JBAFromNY <[email protected]> wrote:
> As my chain gets more and more reluctant to climb onto my worn out
> (and marginally useful 52 tooth) big ring, I've been watching the
> sales and considering these two items:
>
> Nashbar "trekking" crank with 48-38-28 rings and an ISIS BB for 54.99
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=600081&subcategory=600010...
>
> Sugino XD-300 crank with 46-36-26 rings and a square tapered BB for
> $59.99 (I've seen it for less occasionally, but that's the cheapest
> I've seen recently)
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks/11074.html

Square taper and a silver crank. Two classic choices. My choice would
be Sugino.

On Aug 6, 9:40 am, JBAFromNY <[email protected]> wrote:
> As my chain gets more and more reluctant to climb onto my worn out
> (and marginally useful 52 tooth) big ring, I've been watching the
> sales and considering these two items:
>
> Nashbar "trekking" crank with 48-38-28 rings and an ISIS BB for 54.99
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=600081&subcategory=600010...
>
> Sugino XD-300 crank with 46-36-26 rings and a square tapered BB for
> $59.99 (I've seen it for less occasionally, but that's the cheapest
> I've seen recently)
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks/11074.html
>
> I like the tooth counts on the Nashbar more, but have heard rumblings
> that ISIS BBs are not so hot. This would be for a mix of commuting
> and pleasure riding. I live at the top of a long, extremely steep
> hill, and I'm a clydesdale, so I need the triple. Any thoughts,
> experiences, etc. with either of these products would be appreciated.

Sugino, on two counts:

1) Sugino has a great track record as a manufacturer, and they
actually make that crank. The Nashbar is a re-branded Asian crank,
possibly made by Tracer (as were some other recent Nashbar cranks).
Not a bad product, but not as good a bet as a Sugino, IMO.

2) The Nashbar uses the failure prone ISIS BB standard, which is
almost certainly headed for the dustbin. The Sugino uses the older,
but proven, square taper BB standard, which is likely to be available
for the service life of the Sugino crank

In article
<[email protected]>,
JBAFromNY <[email protected]> wrote:

> As my chain gets more and more reluctant to climb onto my worn out
> (and marginally useful 52 tooth) big ring, I've been watching the
> sales and considering these two items:
>
> Nashbar "trekking" crank with 48-38-28 rings and an ISIS BB for 54.99
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...by Subcat: Nashbar Brand Web Sale-Road Cranks
>
> Sugino XD-300 crank with 46-36-26 rings and a square tapered BB for
> $59.99 (I've seen it for less occasionally, but that's the cheapest
> I've seen recently)
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks/11074.html
>
> I like the tooth counts on the Nashbar more, but have heard rumblings
> that ISIS BBs are not so hot. This would be for a mix of commuting
> and pleasure riding. I live at the top of a long, extremely steep
> hill, and I'm a clydesdale, so I need the triple. Any thoughts,
> experiences, etc. with either of these products would be appreciated.

I will compound your decision by proposing that you
consider the Sugino XD2 500, 48-36-24.

--
Michael Press

On Aug 6, 7:40 am, JBAFromNY <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sugino XD-300 crank with 46-36-26 rings and a square tapered BB for
> $59.99 (I've seen it for less occasionally, but that's the cheapest
> I've seen recently)

$45 at ebikestop:
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/ebikestop/items/004-CR1033

I've owned both XD300s and XD600s and I think it's the best crank deal
in the universe. It's prettier and better made than anything even
double the price. And square taper is still the way to go. What ISIS
and octalink gain in spindle rigidity, they lose in bearing longevity.

Clydesdale-wise, I'm 6'/230lbs, and I currently have three bikes with
square taper, two with outboard bearings. I have no qualms with the
square taper at all.

On Aug 6, 2:59 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:

> $45 at ebikestop:http://stores.channeladvisor.com/ebikestop/items/004-CR1033

Thanks. I missed that in my search

> I've owned both XD300s and XD600s and I think it's the best crank deal
> in the universe. It's prettier and better made than anything even
> double the price. And square taper is still the way to go. What ISIS
> and octalink gain in spindle rigidity, they lose in bearing longevity.

That's what I gather from reading here, though I know a couple of
people that have had no trouble with ISIS BBs.

> Clydesdale-wise, I'm 6'/230lbs, and I currently have three bikes with
> square taper, two with outboard bearings. I have no qualms with the
> square taper at all.

I've got no qualms with square taper either, having ridden on them for
decades without a spindle or arm failure, though I've worn out my fair
share of bearings.

Thanks,
John

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 07:40:46 -0700, JBAFromNY <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Nashbar "trekking" crank with 48-38-28 rings and an ISIS BB for 54.99
>
>http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...by Subcat: Nashbar Brand Web Sale-Road Cranks
>
>Sugino XD-300 crank with 46-36-26 rings and a square tapered BB for
>$59.99 (I've seen it for less occasionally, but that's the cheapest
>I've seen recently)
>
>http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks/11074.html
>
>I like the tooth counts on the Nashbar more, but have heard rumblings
>that ISIS BBs are not so hot. This would be for a mix of commuting
>and pleasure riding. I live at the top of a long, extremely steep
>hill, and I'm a clydesdale, so I need the triple. Any thoughts,
>experiences, etc. with either of these products would be appreciated.

I've had great luck with both Sugino and Nashbar cranks. I ride in
SoCal and don't remember the last time I had problems with a square
taper bb. I did have to send an FSA ISIS back for warantee repairs
because of roughness but that was the exception. I have several other
ISIS bb that are more used and no problem.

You could put a 24t ring on either crankset. My question would be
what front derailleur would work best for the 48/38/28? I think that
a MTB front would work with the 46/36/26.