Nasty crash

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by John Staines, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. John Staines

    John Staines Guest

    I've just read that Henke Vogels has had a terrible crash and is in a serious condition. Apparently
    his helmet saved him from certain death.

    He was clocked at 109km an hour just before he hit the barrier. It looked so bad that other cyclists
    stopped racing because they thought he had died.

    Bloody terrible news

    Tags:

  2. Roofi

    Roofi Guest

    "Apparently his helmet saved him from certain death."

    Oh no, the anti-helmet Nazis are going to swarm around you now.........

  3. Twisties

    Twisties New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    Australian cyclist Henk Vogels is in hospital with a fractured vertebrae and broken ankle after crashing during the Fitchburg three-day tour in Massachusetts.

    His father, Henk Senior, said the 29-year-old West Australian was in a stable condition but was in traction until the break in his spine had been assessed.

    "He clipped a wheel and hit a guard rail at 108km per hour," he said.

    Vogels' ankle was broken in three places and he also suffered head injuries in the crash on Saturday.

    He is being treated at the University of Massachusetts Memorial Hospital.

    "But the signs are good. It's only 48 hours after the event and it's not a life or death situation," his father said.

    He said the seriousness of his son's spinal injury should be known on Wednesday.

    Vogels has competed at five world road championships, the Commonwealth Games, on the Tour de France and was 1997 Australian Cyclist of the Year.

  4. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    > SPECIALIZED BigHit: Because the engine is fearless. When we say BigHit we mean it.

    Eh? Did you find this on http://www.engrish.com ?

  5. John Staines

    John Staines Guest

    Easy, you go down a hill. I've clocked up 77km an hour and I don't even have that good a bike and
    also I was slowing myself down.

    During the Jacobs Creek Tour Down Under the riders were clocked, with a speed gun, going down
    Checkers Hill Road at 100km +

    Cheers

    John

    Michael Stern wrote:

    > how do you go 110km on a bike?
    >
    > "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]drewswan.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > SPECIALIZED BigHit: Because the engine is fearless. When we say BigHit we mean it.
    > >
    > > Eh? Did you find this on http://www.engrish.com ?

  6. Twisties

    Twisties New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    did i find that on engrish? no, i think it was on www.smh.com.au
    (sydney morning herald)

    how do you go 110 on a bike? you pedel rreeaall fast!

  7. On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:30:43 +1000, "Michael Stern" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >how do you go 110km on a bike?

    Easy. Just go for 1km and then repeat it 109 times. 110km is not a long ride.

    If you meant 110 km/h, then that's a bit more difficult. The easiest way is to find a hill. Henk
    Vogels was clocked on police radar at 108 or 109 km/h just before he crashed a few days ago. He was
    probably taking a breather, so 110 would have been possible.

    Another way is to ride behind a motor vehicle. A well known professional rider was alleged to have
    ridden between Geelong and Ballarat behind a van at an average of 85km/h last year. He was alleged
    to have said that the expression on the face of a car driver, when he was overtaken by a bike doing
    110 km/h, was something to be treasured. This is, of course, a totally unsubstantiated urban legend.
    After all, that road has a limit of 100 km/h and no cyclist would ever dream of breaking the speed
    limit, would they? :)

    Regards, Richard.

  8. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    Twisties wrote:
    > did i find that on engrish? no, i think it was on www.smh.com.au (sydney morning herald)

    <snip>
    > --
    > SPECIALIZED BigHit: Because the engine is fearless. When we say BigHit we mean it.

    I wasn't talking about the Henk Vogels story, I meant your perplexing signature block (above). :)

    &roo

  9. Richard Sherratt wrote:

    **snip**
    > He was alleged to have said that the expression on the face of a car driver, when he was
    > overtaken by a bike doing 110 km/h, was something to be treasured.

    Bloody hell. If I was doing 110km/h, I'd be looking straight ahead, not at the car next
    to/behind me! :)

    - LB

  10. Jim Stevens

    Jim Stevens Guest

    Bloody hell its not been a good week for West Australians, John Waddell has also crashed during the
    Canadian round of the downhill world cup and still remains unconscious after 4 days.

    Think I'll stay home this weekend...................

    "John Staines" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:3F0237A0.9C9E5ECE[email protected]...
    > I've just read that Henke Vogels has had a terrible crash and is in a serious condition.
    > Apparently his helmet saved him from certain death.
    >
    > He was clocked at 109km an hour just before he hit the barrier. It looked so bad that other
    > cyclists stopped racing because they thought he had died.
    >
    > Bloody terrible news

  11. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    I have a pretty ordinary bike and I have hit 85km's an hour. If the hill was longer I may have well
    have gone faster. Problem is t intersection. There are a few roads I can hit 80+. If you were on a
    high performance bike and no headwind or even better a tail wind then it is possible to hit
    110.

    :
    : During the Jacobs Creek Tour Down Under the riders were clocked, with a speed gun, going down
    : Checkers Hill Road at 100km +
    :
    : Cheers
    :
    : John
    :
    :
    :
    : Michael Stern wrote:
    : >
    : > how do you go 110km on a bike?
    : >
    : > "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : > news:[email protected]...
    : > > > SPECIALIZED BigHit: Because the engine is fearless. When we say BigHit we mean it.
    : > >
    : > > Eh? Did you find this on http://www.engrish.com ?

  12. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Luther Blissett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : Richard Sherratt wrote:
    :
    : **snip**
    : > He was alleged to have said that the expression on the face of a car driver, when he was
    : > overtaken by a bike doing 110 km/h, was something to be treasured.
    :
    : Bloody hell. If I was doing 110km/h, I'd be looking straight ahead, not at the car next
    : to/behind me! :)
    :
    : - LB
    :

    Me too. At 85 I am concentrating a lot trying not to die.

  13. Ray Peace

    Ray Peace Guest

    Hi there, I have overtaken cars on a number of hills, notably Wheelers Hill, Olivers Hill near
    Frankston and coming down Mt St Bernard. It requires care as the drivers are not expecting you to
    come up on their right hand side at a higher speed. Afraid the bingle referred to is a hazard of
    racing, which is primarily why I don't do it, race that is. I have had both single bikes and tandems
    up to 85 k/mh but do not much like it, your first mistake at that speed is frequently your last.

  14. On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 03:40:02 GMT, "John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Luther Blissett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >: Richard Sherratt wrote:
    >:
    >: **snip**
    >: > He was alleged to have said that the expression on the face of a car driver, when he was
    >: > overtaken by a bike doing 110 km/h, was something to be treasured.
    >:
    >: Bloody hell. If I was doing 110km/h, I'd be looking straight ahead, not at the car next
    >: to/behind me! :)
    >:
    >: - LB
    >:
    >
    >Me too. At 85 I am concentrating a lot trying not to die.

    Heh. And hoping the front tyre doesn't burst :)

    Regards, Richard.

  15. Mayhem

    Mayhem Guest

  16. G

    G Guest

    John Doe <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Luther Blissett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > : Richard Sherratt wrote:
    > :
    > : Bloody hell. If I was doing 110km/h, I'd be looking straight ahead, not at the car next
    > : to/behind me! :)
    > :
    > : - LB
    > :
    >
    > Me too. At 85 I am concentrating a lot trying not to die.

    I don't think a bicycle has much in the road holding department at 85km. Too light and the steering
    is too quick (on a road bike), compared to cars and motorcycles.

    GK

  17. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "g" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1fxnj68.w3drdywk0td4N%[email protected]...
    : John Doe <[email protected]> wrote:
    :
    : > "Luther Blissett" <[email protected]> wrote
    in
    : > message news:[email protected]...
    : > : Richard Sherratt wrote:
    : > :
    : > : Bloody hell. If I was doing 110km/h, I'd be looking straight ahead,
    not
    : > : at the car next to/behind me! :)
    : > :
    : > : - LB
    : > :
    : >
    : > Me too. At 85 I am concentrating a lot trying not to die.
    :
    : I don't think a bicycle has much in the road holding department at 85km. Too light and the
    : steering is too quick (on a road bike), compared to cars and motorcycles.
    :
    : GK

    I dont know about that. I mean really. Not disagreeing totally but the contact pressure on a bicycle
    wheel is a lot higher than a bike or car. You would have to sit down and think about it and look at
    the physics I guess. Anybody out there with too much time on their hands could work it out for us.

    Pete

  18. G

    G Guest

    John Doe <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "g" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > :
    > : I don't think a bicycle has much in the road holding department at 85km. Too light and the
    > : steering is too quick (on a road bike), compared to cars and motorcycles.
    > :
    > : GK
    >
    > I dont know about that. I mean really. Not disagreeing totally but the contact pressure on a
    > bicycle wheel is a lot higher than a bike or car. You would have to sit down and think about it
    > and look at the physics I guess. Anybody out there with too much time on their hands could work it
    > out for us.
    >
    > Pete

    More to do with shock absorbsion. Road bikes don't have suspension, though if standing, your arms
    and legs act as suspension. Bicycles definately feel skitterish on high speed down hills, which for
    a car or motocycle isn't high speed. Also a motorcycle has a huge amount of steering trail compared
    to a bicycle.

    GK

  19. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "g" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1fxoee2.1lyqil41miaj6cN%[email protected]...
[...]

    I guess I will have to take your word for it because I don't know and dont have the inclination to
    find out. I know that when I have hit 85 down a couple of particular hills they are particular
    straight and a good surface. I don't feel skitterish at all but the first time I did it I got a bit
    of a shudder when I applied the brakes but that is probably due to the rims not being perfect and
    the high speed showed it up as a vibration.