National Childrens Bureau (helmet content)

Bertie Wiggins wrote:

> I'm staggered by how much more boys cycle than girls. About 75% of my
> cycling trainees are girls.

Anyone have comparative accident figures for girls and boys?

Your datapoint appears to be in some danger of supporting
a hypothesis that cycle training is not merely useless,
but positively counterproductive.

--
not me guv

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 00:50:35 +0000, Nick Kew
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Bertie Wiggins wrote:
>
>> I'm staggered by how much more boys cycle than girls. About 75% of my
>> cycling trainees are girls.

>Anyone have comparative accident figures for girls and boys?

I have somewhere. From memory boys are several times more likely to
be KSI than girls.

>Your datapoint appears to be in some danger of supporting
>a hypothesis that cycle training is not merely useless,
>but positively counterproductive.

Anything which substantially increases the number of people cycling is
likely to raise the number of cyclists injured.

Bertie Wiggins wrote:

> Anything which substantially increases the number of people cycling is
> likely to raise the number of cyclists injured.

But lowers the proportion of cyclists injured.

R.

Bertie Wiggins wrote:

> Anything which substantially increases the number of people cycling is
> likely to raise the number of cyclists injured.

Which is why certain road safety officials with casualty reduction targets
to acheive try and deter cycling :-(

John B

Bertie Wiggins wrote:

> Anything which substantially increases the number of people cycling is
> likely to raise the number of cyclists injured.

Didn't the introduction of the congestion charge in london both
increase the number of people cycling and reduce the number killed?

Tim.

in message <[email protected]>, Bertie Wiggins
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Anything which substantially increases the number of people cycling is
> likely to raise the number of cyclists injured.

No, actually, thank heavens. There's a lot of evidence that as the number
of cyclists goes up, the risk per cyclist goes down. That doesn't mean
that the total number of injuries goes down, of course, but it does mean
that more cyclists on the road does not have to mean more cyclists
injured.

There's nae Gods, an there's precious few heroes
but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal;
And it's time now, tae sweep the future clear o
th lies o a past that we know wis never real.

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 11:17:10 +0000, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Bertie Wiggins
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Anything which substantially increases the number of people cycling is
>> likely to raise the number of cyclists injured.

>No, actually, thank heavens. There's a lot of evidence that as the number
>of cyclists goes up, the risk per cyclist goes down. That doesn't mean
>that the total number of injuries goes down, of course, but it does mean
>that more cyclists on the road does not have to mean more cyclists
>injured.

My use of the word *substantially* was deliberate. A trebling of
cycle miles may double cyclist injuries. However, vast increases in
cycling can vastly reduce the risk to individual cyclists. Holland is
one of the safest places to cycle. Cycle congestion means that
average speeds are lower, both of cyclists and motorists.

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:37:11 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Boys represented 82.9% of all killed and seriously injured child
>cyclists in a population in which males represented 80% of cohort.

Thanks, Tony.

82.9% and 80% are close enough to suggest that boys are at no
particular greater risk than girls. With such a low proportion of
girls cycling it is good that so many girls take up the offer of cycle
training. While I offer equal access to both boys and girls, I don't
see any need to target boys in particular to boost their take up rate.