National Road Race Championships :2006

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
As is traditional : the European countries hold their respective national championships next weekend (25th June).

Has anyone any perdictions for who they think will win their respective national titles?
National titles are important races : even if only for the fact that each winner gets to ride in their national champions jerseys for the next 12 months in races.

Belgium : I am going for Boonen.
Italy : Cunego.
Spain : Koldo Gil or Sanchez
France : Casar or Halgaand
Germany : Sinkewitz
Holland : Dekker
USA : Horner.
Britain : Wegelius
Denmark : Piil or Bluadzun
Norway : Arvesen.

limerickman said:
As is traditional : the European countries hold their respective national championships next weekend (25th June).

Has anyone any perdictions for who they think will win their respective national titles?
National titles are important races : even if only for the fact that each winner gets to ride in their national champions jerseys for the next 12 months in races.

Which Dekker Lime? (I presume you mean Thomas, but considering there is a billion of them, got to make sure)

Obviously I am not sure who is participating but here goes a stab:

Belgium: Boonen for road, no clue for TT
Italy: Well we already know Marzio Brus won his first race ever in the TT (Congrats to him), so Road Ill go with Pozzato
Spain: Oscar Freire
France: Casar
Germany: Kloden if he participate
Holland: Thomas Dekker
USA: Aaron Olson ( I think Horner is heavily marked)
Britain: Jeremy Hunt
Russia: if they haven't had theirs ill go with Karpets

limerickman said:

Belgium : Nuyens
Italy: Pozatto (by the way: Cunego won't start)
Spain: Sanchez
France: Voeckler
Germany: Sinkewitz (the course is very hilly: made for Patrick)
Holland: Boogerd
USA: Julich
Britain: Wegelius
Denmark: Piil
Norway: Hushovd

In the ITT nationals T. Dekker was number 8 (1'54" behind winner Stef Clement of Bouygues), E. Dekker was second (5" behind Clement). E. Dekker said that Thomas has " a difficult time" at the moment... Thomas wasn't very strong in DL as well... Is Thomas hiding or is he having a bad form???

cyclingheroes said:

In the ITT nationals T. Dekker was number 8 (1'54" behind winner Stef Clement of Bouygues), E. Dekker was second (5" behind Clement). E. Dekker said that Thomas has " a difficult time" at the moment... Thomas wasn't very strong in DL as well... Is Thomas hiding or is he having a bad form???

Thomas Dekker was the Dekker I had in mind for the Dutch title.

You're going for Julich for the USA.
Could be a good bet.

limerickman said:

Could be a good bet.
Yeah i'm going for Julich. There are several candidates for the Dutch title since it's in the provence of Limburg with a hilly course in the region of the Amstel Gold. I am going for Boogerd... because well, it would be nice if he could win in order to get a good feeling for stage 3 of the TdF (which ends on the Cauberg, about 2 kilometers behind the traditional finish of the Amstel Gold).

limerickman said:

Could be a good bet.
Yeah i'm going for Julich. There are several candidates for the Dutch title since it's in the provence of Limburg with a hilly course in the region of the Amstel Gold. I am going for Boogerd... because well, it would be nice if he could win in order to get a good feeling for stage 3 of the TdF (which ends on the Cauberg, about 2 kilometers behind the traditional finish of the Amstel Gold).

cyclingheroes said:

Boogerd has won in Holland, Dirk Müller in Germany (a former pro riding for an amateur club in Frankfurt, he was one season at Telekom ... i think it was 99)
Bernard Kohl has won in Austria, Alexander Khatuntsev in Russia, in Spain the riders all abonded the race because of the Saiz scandal.

France: Voeckler and Moreau attacked (35 kilometers to go)
Belgium Steegmans and Hovelynck have a lead of 1 minute on the peloton

cyclingheroes said:
Boogerd has won in Holland, Dirk Müller in Germany (a former pro riding for an amateur club in Frankfurt, he was one season at Telekom ... i think it was 99)
Bernard Kohl has won in Austria, Alexander Khatuntsev in Russia, in Spain the riders all abonded the race because of the Saiz scandal.

Paolo Bettini wins in Italy

Edit: Gregory Rast wins in Switzerland

cyclingheroes said:

Belgium: Steegmans and Hovelynck have 40 seconds left (36 kilometers to go)

France: Voeckler and Moreau still raceleaders (20 kilometers to go)

France: Florent Brard got to Voeckler and Moreau... Florent Brard attacked and won.

Denmark: Allan Johansson wins the title.

Belgium: new situation, raceleaders are: Niko Eeckhout, Johan Vansummeren, Leif Hoste, Philippe Gilbert, Kevin Van Impe, Tom Boonen, Geert Omloop, Jurgen Van Goolen, Kurt Hovelynck and James Vanlandschoot.

cyclingheroes said:
France: Florent Brard got to Voeckler and Moreau... Florent Brard attacked and won.

Denmark: Allan Johansson wins the title.

Belgium: new situation, raceleaders are: Niko Eeckhout, Johan Vansummeren, Leif Hoste, Philippe Gilbert, Kevin Van Impe, Tom Boonen, Geert Omloop, Jurgen Van Goolen, Kurt Hovelynck and James Vanlandschoot.
belgium: final lap, Jurgen Van Goolen crashed

Belgium: 6 riders left in the breakaway: Tom Boonen, Kevin Van Impe, Nico Eeckhout, Leif Hoste, Philippe Gilbert and Johan Vansummeren.

Other results:

Luxemburg: Kim Kirchen
Poland: Mariusz Witecki
Sweden: Thomas Lövkvist
Czech republic: Stanislav Kozubek
Slovakia: Maros Ková
Japan: Fumiyuki Beppu
Norway: Lars Petter Nordhaug
Great Britain: Hamish Haynes
Portugal: Bruno Pires

Hats off to Il Grillo, who wins, with merit, his second Italian championship jersey. Unfortunately we will not see it in the Tour this year, but given his end of season results last year (Zurich and Lombardia) I think Bettini is doing the right thing!

Great result for Bettini - Mr Consistency as you say.

I managed to get no winner of any national road race title!
It's ironic because I had intended to include Thomas Lövkvist in my list but because I wasn't sure of the spelling of his name, I didn't include him.
That's probably why he managed to win!