National Road Race Titles : 2007

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Traditionally the week before the start of the annual TDF, sees most cycling nations hosting their road race national championships.

Anyone care to nominate their selections for the various 2007 national titles?????

2006 winners might indicate some selections : road race :

Italy : Bettini
Holland : Boogerd
Luxembourg : Kirchen

Time Trial :

Switzerland : Cancellara
Italy : Bruseghin
USA : Zabriskie
Belgium : Hoste
Norway : Arvesen.

Also, when The US nationals come around, I reckon DZ could take the double. He has definetly shown his ability to do so this season.

Good thread Limerick man!

Right my predictions from the big names of mainly pro tour teams are ;

Ireland: Nicolas Roche , but perhaps Power and O Loughlan are going well,
Austria Bernard Eisel
Norway Kurt Asle Arversen
Nederland Thomas Dekker (depending on the course) Kroon or Weining also
NL CLM; Stef Clement again if he recovers from crash of Eindhoven
Belgium Nick Nuyens or Gilbert
BE CLM Dominique Cornu or Stijn Devolder (thats if the time trial is held this weekend)
France Sylvain Calzati, Yoann le Boulanger, but maybe Moreau
Switzerland CLM Cancellara , RR dont know Steve Morabito seems to be in good form
Germany Fabian Wegmann or Stefan Schumacker,
Germany CLM Stefan Schumacker
Lux Andy Schleck
Italy hmmmn Liquigas'es Pellzoti, T Mobiles Bernucci, Quick steps Tonti or Tosatto
Kazakhstan Assan Bazayev or Iglinsky
Russia Mikhail Ignatiev or someone in Tinkoff
GBr: Mark Cavenish or Jeremy Hunt
Spain Jose Antonio Redondo

Pas Souci said:
Also, when The US nationals come around, I reckon DZ could take the double. He has definetly shown his ability to do so this season.
DZ will probably take the ITT. Hincapie or Leipheimer could also win.

For the road I think Leipheimer will take it. Last year the euro pros ganged up on the domestic ones and handed the title to Hincapie. This year it will be someone else's turn, and Levi is the best candidate.

As a complete surprise, Ian Thorpe has changed nationalities and won the British road title. Picture of the course below:

Bro Deal said:
As a complete surprise, Ian Thorpe has changed nationalities and won the British road title. Picture of the course below:
I live in one of the areas worst affected. Luckily, I live on a hill but I very nearly didn't make it home on Monday afternoon after we finished early. People who left only 30 mins after me got stuck. Several people I know had to be rescued. Sheffield's been like a ghost town these last few days and there's more rain to come. Most of last night I had no power and there's a high chance of more power cuts to come as the emergency servicees try and stop a dam from bursting. It wasn't a bike I needed this week but a boat! :(

Its just a hunch but if Vino & Valverde drop I reckon Moreau is a chance to win the Tour.......

France - AG2R team leader Christophe Moreau continued to display his race form ahead of the Tour de France by winning his first-ever French road-race crown Sunday in Aurillac. The 36-year-old winner of last month's Dauphiné Libéré escaped late in the race and finished with a two-minute lead on Pierrick Fedrigo and Patrice Halgand.

The Netherlands - Rabobank rider Koos Mourenhout won the Dutch national road race championship Sunday in Maastricht. Mourenhout finished ahead of Sebastien Langeveld and Maarten den Bakker after a solo attack in the final lap of the race.

Switzerland - Gerolsteiner's Beat Zberg won the Swiss national road race championship after 205.2km of racing around Brugg on Sunday. Zberg finished ahead of world time trial champion Fabian Cancellara of CSC and David Loosli.

Austria - Third in 2006, Christian Pfannberger (Elk-Haus Simplon) made amends this year by winning the Austrian national road race on Sunday in Vienna. Pfannberger beat Markus Eibegger in a two-man sprint to the finish line after 172.2km of racing, with Thomas Rohregger in third at just a second behind.

Luxembourg - Discovery Channel"s Benoit Joachim won the Luxembourg national road race crown on Sunday in Schifflange after finishing ahead of Christian Poos and Franck Schleck of CSC. Joachim, 30, thus picks up his third national title having won in 2000 and 2002.

Belgium - Discovery Channel's Stijn Devolder won the Belgian national road race crown on Sunday in Renaix. Devolder was the strongest on the day's final climb, and he pulled away from a small group to complete the remaining 10km in winning fashion, finishing 15 seconds ahead of Tom Boonen and Philippe Gilbert on Sunday.

Germany - Gerolsteiner's Fabian Wegmann claimed the first German road race crown of his blossoming career on Sunday after dominating T-Mobile's Patrik Sinkewitz in a two-man sprint for the finish in Berlin. The 27-year-old's victory came after he and Sinkewitz escaped from the group with 45km to race. It is the third year in a row that T-Mobile, who dominated the championships from 1993-2004, has failed to claim the national title.

Italy - Quick Step rider Giovanni Visconti was crowned Italian road race champion on Sunday in Rome. Visconti held off the threat of Paolo Bossoni, Davide Rebellin and Christian Murro, with whom he had broken away with 15km to race. Defending champion Paolo Bettini, the reigning world and Olympic champion, abandoned after just 40km following a crash and suffering technical mishaps.

Spain - Caisse d'Epargne's Joaquin Rodriguez on Sunday won Spain's road race cycling championship, held over 189.4kkm at Cuenca. Rodriguez's teammate Alejandro Valverde finished second. The 28-year-old Catalan-born rider, who made his winning move on the final climb, said: "I'd like to thank all my teammates, but especially Alejandro."

The nationals are a hard one to predict; the US nationals arent until september according to cycling news so if David Z can keep his form until then... we'll see though,

I got a few predictions right.. but some fierce wrong eg I thought Tinkoff would be on to the Russian championships but no, fair play to Moreau for attacking from 40kms to go and getting it with 2 mins over the two followers and something like 10 mins from the peloton. funny hes changed from a time trialist to an attacker who can pull off long breakaways

user_online.gif

Dawes Tourer said:
The nationals are a hard one to predict; the US nationals arent until september according to cycling news so if David Z can keep his form until then... we'll see though,

I got a few predictions right.. but some fierce wrong eg I thought Tinkoff would be on to the Russian championships but no, fair play to Moreau for attacking from 40kms to go and getting it with 2 mins over the two followers and something like 10 mins from the peloton. funny hes changed from a time trialist to an attacker who can pull off long breakaways

user_online.gif

You correctly predicted the Irish National title results : Nicholas Roche won the TT and O'Loughlin won the road title.
Very good prediction, dawes.