National Trust Cycle Racks

Tim Hall

Guest
A few weeks ago we visited Standen, a National Trust property a short
cycle ride from where we live. On arriving we were given a voucher for
3 cups of tea as we'd arrived by "public transport" (I think they mean
by not car). These were succesfully transmogrified later by Mrs. Hall
into cups of coffee and chocolate cake,

Anyway, cutting to the chase, I noticed that there were no cycle racks
to lock our bikes to. Bad. I then found, and filled in a comments
card, suggesting that (1) cycle racks would be a Good Thing and (2)
they should get Sheffield Stands rather than wheel benders.

Fast forward to Tuesday. A letter floods in, from the National Trust,
thanking me for my suggestion, saying that they had funding in place
for racks and my comments on the design had been passed to the Head
Gardener.

A small result for the Forces of Good.

Tim

Tim Hall wrote:

> A few weeks ago we visited Standen, a National Trust property a short
> cycle ride from where we live. On arriving we were given a voucher for
> 3 cups of tea as we'd arrived by "public transport" (I think they mean
> by not car). These were succesfully transmogrified later by Mrs. Hall
> into cups of coffee and chocolate cake,
>

> Anyway, cutting to the chase, I noticed that there were no cycle racks
> to lock our bikes to. Bad. I then found, and filled in a comments
> card, suggesting that (1) cycle racks would be a Good Thing and (2)
> they should get Sheffield Stands rather than wheel benders.
>
> Fast forward to Tuesday. A letter floods in, from the National Trust,
> thanking me for my suggestion, saying that they had funding in place
> for racks and my comments on the design had been passed to the Head
> Gardener.
>
> A small result for the Forces of Good.
>
> Tim

Was this at just Standen, or were they looking at doing it at the rest
of them too?

I've always quite fancied cycling to a NT property (since I'm a member)
but there aren't any decent ones within cycling distance of here :-(

--

Velvet

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:13:49 GMT, Velvet <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tim Hall wrote:
>
>> A few weeks ago we visited Standen, a National Trust property a short
>> cycle ride from where we live. On arriving we were given a voucher for
>> 3 cups of tea as we'd arrived by "public transport" (I think they mean
>> by not car). These were succesfully transmogrified later by Mrs. Hall
>> into cups of coffee and chocolate cake,
>> Anyway, cutting to the chase, I noticed that there were no cycle racks
>> to lock our bikes to. Bad. I then found, and filled in a comments
>> card, suggesting that (1) cycle racks would be a Good Thing and (2)
>> they should get Sheffield Stands rather than wheel benders. Fast
>> forward to Tuesday. A letter floods in, from the National Trust,
>> thanking me for my suggestion, saying that they had funding in place
>> for racks and my comments on the design had been passed to the Head
>> Gardener.
>> A small result for the Forces of Good.
>> Tim

> Was this at just Standen, or were they looking at doing it at the rest
> of them too?
>
> I've always quite fancied cycling to a NT property (since I'm a member)
> but there aren't any decent ones within cycling distance of here :-(

The National Trust can be well worth joining if you like good teas and
lunches. The buildings and gardens are quite good too.

J u l i a n

__o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Was this at just Standen, or were they looking at doing it at the rest
> of them too?
>
> I've always quite fancied cycling to a NT property (since I'm a member)
> but there aren't any decent ones within cycling distance of here :-(

On the whole the NT are quite good with bike racks. They're also used to
people leaving bags with them.

cheers,
clive

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 08:49:05 +0100, "Julian Symondson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:13:49 GMT, Velvet <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Tim Hall wrote:

<cycle racks at Standen>

>> Was this at just Standen, or were they looking at doing it at the rest
>> of them too?

This was specific to Standen. Others I've been to (Polesden Lacey,
Leonardslea for example) both have cycle racks.

>> I've always quite fancied cycling to a NT property (since I'm a member)
>> but there aren't any decent ones within cycling distance of here :-(

Isn't "here" Caterhamish? What about Churchill's place (Friday night
amnesia means I can't tell you the name). Or doing a train ride then
cycle.

>The National Trust can be well worth joining if you like good teas and
>lunches. The buildings and gardens are quite good too.

I've always thought the food isn't the best value ever. But I'm mean.

Note that the Sheffield Park (West Sussex) cafe isn't part of the NT
property and you don't haveto pay the admission fee to use it.

Tim

Tim Hall wrote:

> Isn't "here" Caterhamish? What about Churchill's place (Friday night
> amnesia means I can't tell you the name). Or doing a train ride then
> cycle.

It is, yes. And saturday morning amnesia means I can't tell you the
name either, but I *do* know what you mean. I'll look it up and see how
far/which direction it is from here. ANd yes you're right about trains
then cycling - though now I have a car it's cheaper to drive rather than
train, then cycle, which means in practice its actually less hassle to
just drive, or drive somewhere else and cycle.. :)

--

Velvet

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 09:51:43 GMT, Velvet <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tim Hall wrote:
>

>> Isn't "here" Caterhamish? What about Churchill's place (Friday night
>> amnesia means I can't tell you the name). Or doing a train ride then
>> cycle.

>It is, yes. And saturday morning amnesia means I can't tell you the
>name either, but I *do* know what you mean.

Amnesia seem to move northwards over time. Saturday morning a light
bulb went "bing" above my head. Chartwell. Rudyard Kipling's place
in Kent/Sussex is also worth a vist.

>I'll look it up and see how
>far/which direction it is from here. ANd yes you're right about trains
>then cycling - though now I have a car it's cheaper to drive rather than
>train, then cycle, which means in practice its actually less hassle to
>just drive, or drive somewhere else and cycle.. :)

I have this thing about driving somewhere to ride. The tandem club
rides I plan try to start near stations so people can train then ride.
Trouble is engineering works tend to be done at weekends, scuppering
the best laid plans.

Tim

Tim Hall wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 09:51:43 GMT, Velvet <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Tim Hall wrote:
>>

>>>Isn't "here" Caterhamish? What about Churchill's place (Friday night
>>>amnesia means I can't tell you the name). Or doing a train ride then
>>>cycle.

>>It is, yes. And saturday morning amnesia means I can't tell you the
>>name either, but I *do* know what you mean.

> Amnesia seem to move northwards over time. Saturday morning a light
> bulb went "bing" above my head. Chartwell. Rudyard Kipling's place
> in Kent/Sussex is also worth a vist.
>

>>I'll look it up and see how
>>far/which direction it is from here. ANd yes you're right about trains
>>then cycling - though now I have a car it's cheaper to drive rather than
>>train, then cycle, which means in practice its actually less hassle to
>>just drive, or drive somewhere else and cycle.. :)

> I have this thing about driving somewhere to ride. The tandem club
> rides I plan try to start near stations so people can train then ride.
> Trouble is engineering works tend to be done at weekends, scuppering
> the best laid plans.
>
> Tim

Indeed. However, if driving somewhere to cycle gets me on the bike, vs
cycling starting from home (or struggling with bike on and off trains at
much greater expense, and time) then it makes sense to do the drive.

It's hard enough to get out on the bike anywhere round here as it is (I
really don't like the drivers around here), so anything that means I can
get elsewhere is a good thing :)

Velvet

--

Velvet