Natural Chain lubricator?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by sksivanandan, Jan 23, 2006.

1. sksivanandan

sksivanandan New Member

Can I use Coconut Oil or any other vegetable oil (OR Mix of Coconut Oil with other Petroleum products like Kerosine)as a Chain lubricator ? Thanks

Tags:

2. ewitz

ewitz New Member

I sometimes just spit on my hand and rub it on as a quick lubricant. Works for other stuff try it on your chain.

Or just buy some cycling specific lube.

3. HardCoreRacer

HardCoreRacer New Member

why ?...........................

4. Robert Gardner

Robert Gardner New Member

I think it is a reasonable question. Vegatable oils such as castor oil are used in lubricants. Further unlike petroleum products, vetable oils are not carcinogens and bikers tend to get their chain lubes all over their hands. That is why they wear black shorts so they have a handy place to wipe their hands that won't show.

5. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

You can but its a bad idea. If you dont want to use petroleum based lubricants try parafin. Using veg. oil will messy as it will attract more dirt to the chain.

6. Scarpelli

Scarpelli New Member

Once a week I lube my chain with yak placenta. Other than the stench, it works great! :D

7. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Vegetable oil is a magnet for dirt. And the black shorts have nothing to do with chain lube: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t202362-.html

8. sksivanandan

sksivanandan New Member

Thank you all for your valuable comments .And I just want to know the possibility of vegetable oils or a mix of such oils as a chain lubricator.
    :)

9. gregkeller

gregkeller New Member

I bought something called "hippie slick" it's supposed to be all natural, organic, vegan or something like that, i didn't think it was as good as the other stuff i've used especially pro-link.

10. RickF

RickF New Member

Just because something is "natural" does not mean it is "safe". Many vegetable oils, including pine tar, tobacco tar, and podophyllum resin are at least as carcinogenic, if not more so, than petroleum based products. The plants in the Rhus genus produce an "all natural" vegetable oil, but I would not want to touch it (poison ivey and poison oak).
    Parafin is a petroleum based lubricant. There are some graphite based and totally synthetic lubricants (e.g. Mobile-1), and caster oil (another extremely toxic, but "natural" and renewable vegetable oil) is a good lubricant. As others have pointed out, though, it is not a dry lubricant, and as such, dust and grit will stick to it.

11. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

Gotta love those Utah Yaks!!!!:eek: :D