natural-dyed Easter eggs

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Serene, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. Serene

    Serene Guest

    So Carin made some really cool eggs today. It's the only part of
    Easter she cares about, so we bought her a bunch of eggs and some
    stuff to dye them with: beets, red cabbage, yellow onions, red
    onions, and blueberries. She had fun doing it, and we like the
    Victorian-simplicity look that came out. She may still paint them or
    something.

    And tomorrow, we're obviously having egg salad, and I think I'll
    google that creamed-eggs-on-toast thing we talked about last Easter.

    http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/0003syd5/

    serene

    Tags:

  2. Leila

    Leila Guest

    Very nice. I did this one year after seeing my Mediterranean relatives'
    efforts back in the ancestral village. They got a cool marbled effect
    by wrapping the eggs in onion skins - stunning terracotta and orange
    striations. I duplicated the effect by cutting up pantyhose and
    rubberbanding it around the onionskin/egg concoction.

    No pantyhose in the house so I didn't do it this year, but perhaps
    next?

    Leila

  3. nancree

    nancree Guest

    Maybe BARB would treat us to another look at her fabulous Easter
    Eggs--Are you watching, Barb??

    Pretty Please,

    Nancree

  4. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Serene wrote:
    > So Carin made some really cool eggs today. It's the only part of
    > Easter she cares about, so we bought her a bunch of eggs and some
    > stuff to dye them with: beets, red cabbage, yellow onions, red
    > onions, and blueberries. She had fun doing it, and we like the
    > Victorian-simplicity look that came out. She may still paint them or
    > something.
    >
    > And tomorrow, we're obviously having egg salad, and I think I'll
    > google that creamed-eggs-on-toast thing we talked about last Easter.
    >
    > http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/0003syd5/
    >
    > serene

    I love them! Very pretty!
    I have done that for a number of years. This year I didn't dye any -
    too sick to feel up to it.
    -L.

  5. On 16 Apr 2006 23:07:03 -0700, "-L." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I love them! Very pretty!
    >I have done that for a number of years. This year I didn't dye any -
    >too sick to feel up to it.

    Are you feeling *any* better? I've been fretting about you.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  6. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Wow, that's so much cooler than the damn Paas colors. Wish youda posted
    this last week - we like to dye our eggs a few days ahead , part of the
    anticipation of the holiday. My daughter did 2 dozen this year. We
    deviled half for the BBQ and the others will be going whole in
    lunchboxes all week.

    Next year I should try something natural. Ialways try to think of
    myself as an environmentalis, and I'm sure those artificial dyes are
    crap for our earth.

    I like the idea of using beets. Considering howmuch they dye my fingers
    when I cook em, I can imagine what they would do to my eggs......

  7. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Serene wrote:
    > So Carin made some really cool eggs today. It's the only part of
    > Easter she cares about, so we bought her a bunch of eggs and some
    > stuff to dye them with: beets, red cabbage, yellow onions, red
    > onions, and blueberries.
    >
    > http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/0003syd5/

    Neato!

    Do some with carrots, and some with spinach.

    Sheldon

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Maybe BARB would treat us to another look at her fabulous Easter
    > Eggs--Are you watching, Barb??
    >
    > Pretty Please,
    >
    > Nancree

    LOL. I've got one pic on my website - Church story #13, I think it is.

    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-16-06, Church review #14

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Maybe BARB would treat us to another look at her fabulous Easter
    > > Eggs--Are you watching, Barb??
    > >
    > > Pretty Please,
    > >
    > > Nancree

    > LOL. I've got one pic on my website - Church story #13, I think it is.

    And I just posted another note with several other pics.
    Note to Sarah: My talents unbounded? Hah. I'm a crappy housekeeper.
    I want everything within reach, so I don't put stuff away and I've got
    too much stuff to start with besides! Light a candle. Maybe a torch.
    To a stick of dynomite. Ugh!
    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-16-06, Church review #14

  10. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > On 16 Apr 2006 23:07:03 -0700, "-L." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I love them! Very pretty!
    > >I have done that for a number of years. This year I didn't dye any -
    > >too sick to feel up to it.

    > Are you feeling *any* better? I've been fretting about you.
    >
    > Carol

    Thanks, Carol. Yes, I am improving. I get hit hard with any cold -
    goes in to asthma and then bronchitis - sometimes pneumonia. This all
    started after a near-drowning incident in the Carribean in '96 - prior
    to that I was healthy as a horse, but that incident screwed my lungs up
    royally. That's why I get so damn made when I see snotty people
    spreading germs in public.

    The worst part is my little guy has been sick too - pretty much off and
    on since the end of January. He's seemed to have finally turned the
    corner, but as a first-time Mom seeing him sick (and fighting with the
    doctors about it) has been harder for me than being sick myself.

    Thanks for asking. It's been a rough 3+ weeks!

    -L.

  11. ms_peacock

    ms_peacock Guest

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Maybe BARB would treat us to another look at her fabulous Easter
    >> > Eggs--Are you watching, Barb??
    >> >
    >> > Pretty Please,
    >> >
    >> > Nancree

    >> LOL. I've got one pic on my website - Church story #13, I think it is.

    > And I just posted another note with several other pics.
    > Note to Sarah: My talents unbounded? Hah. I'm a crappy housekeeper.
    > I want everything within reach, so I don't put stuff away and I've got
    > too much stuff to start with besides! Light a candle. Maybe a torch.
    > To a stick of dynomite. Ugh!
    > --
    > -Barb
    > <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-16-06, Church review #14
    >
    > "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

    Oooooooo, ahhhhhhh, oh wow!! Those are just simply gorgeous!!

    Ms P

  12. On 17 Apr 2006 09:52:53 -0700, "-L." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    >
    >> Are you feeling *any* better? I've been fretting about you.

    >Thanks, Carol. Yes, I am improving. I get hit hard with any cold -
    >goes in to asthma and then bronchitis - sometimes pneumonia. This all
    >started after a near-drowning incident in the Carribean in '96 - prior
    >to that I was healthy as a horse, but that incident screwed my lungs up
    >royally. That's why I get so damn made when I see snotty people
    >spreading germs in public.

    That must have bee frightening beyond belief! I'm glad you made it.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your lungs - I have cought-variant asthma,
    so I can empathize a *little*. Sounds like you get a lot worse than I
    do, though.

    >The worst part is my little guy has been sick too - pretty much off and
    >on since the end of January. He's seemed to have finally turned the
    >corner, but as a first-time Mom seeing him sick (and fighting with the
    >doctors about it) has been harder for me than being sick myself.

    Tell me about it! My daughter had things wrong with her that weren't
    diagnosed until she hit her 20s. Her pediatritian just blew a lot of
    her ailments off. And he was a highly respected doctor. Very
    frustrating for the mom and the kid. I'm glad he's showing
    improvement.

    >Thanks for asking. It's been a rough 3+ weeks!

    That long? That's terrible. With your permission, I'd like to pray
    for the two of you. Please let me know.

    Feel-better hugs,
    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

  13. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

    > That must have bee frightening beyond belief! I'm glad you made it.
    > I'm so sorry to hear about your lungs - I have cought-variant asthma,
    > so I can empathize a *little*. Sounds like you get a lot worse than I
    > do, though.

    I have cough-variant asthma too - post-drowning. Took the docs 9 mos
    to properly diagnose it. So many doctors don't even know what it is.

    > >The worst part is my little guy has been sick too - pretty much off and
    > >on since the end of January. He's seemed to have finally turned the
    > >corner, but as a first-time Mom seeing him sick (and fighting with the
    > >doctors about it) has been harder for me than being sick myself.

    > Tell me about it! My daughter had things wrong with her that weren't
    > diagnosed until she hit her 20s. Her pediatritian just blew a lot of
    > her ailments off. And he was a highly respected doctor. Very
    > frustrating for the mom and the kid. I'm glad he's showing
    > improvement.

    Thanks. I just think it's ridiculous that they have to be on death's
    door before the docs will prescribe an antibiotic. I think if a 2 year
    old has been sick *8* weeks, something needs to be done other than just
    tell me "it's a virus". They finally gave him some Amoxi and lo and
    behold - he's getting better. Only took me 4 straight nights of him
    having 102 fevers to convince them (two different doctors).

    > >Thanks for asking. It's been a rough 3+ weeks!

    > That long? That's terrible. With your permission, I'd like to pray
    > for the two of you. Please let me know.
    >
    > Feel-better hugs,
    > Carol

    Thank you, Carol. I am not a particularly religious person, but an
    spiritual and welcome any prayers you have. I do believe in the
    collective power of healing and postivie thought.

    Thanks again for your kind thoughts and prayers,
    -L.

  14. On 17 Apr 2006 17:24:50 -0700, "-L." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    >>
    >> That must have bee frightening beyond belief! I'm glad you made it.
    >> I'm so sorry to hear about your lungs - I have cought-variant asthma,
    >> so I can empathize a *little*. Sounds like you get a lot worse than I
    >> do, though.

    >I have cough-variant asthma too - post-drowning. Took the docs 9 mos
    >to properly diagnose it. So many doctors don't even know what it is.

    I totally agree. I also have cough variant asthma, which confused
    doctors for so long. I don't wheeze, except when I am on death's door,
    but I have a wheezy cough. And when my asthma is acting up (like
    now) I cough a lot.
    Anyone know how to get cigarette odor out of furniture and the carpet?
    I just moved into a new apartment, and the place has a faint reek of
    cigarettes. It is activating my asthma. My company is changing out
    the sofa and chair tomorrow, but I am not sure if it is in the carpet
    as well.....

    Christine

  15. On Mon 17 Apr 2006 08:06:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Christine
    Dabney?

    > On 17 Apr 2006 17:24:50 -0700, "-L." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    >>>
    >>> That must have bee frightening beyond belief! I'm glad you made it.
    >>> I'm so sorry to hear about your lungs - I have cought-variant asthma,
    >>> so I can empathize a *little*. Sounds like you get a lot worse than
    >>> I do, though.

    >>I have cough-variant asthma too - post-drowning. Took the docs 9 mos
    >>to properly diagnose it. So many doctors don't even know what it is.

    > I totally agree. I also have cough variant asthma, which confused
    > doctors for so long. I don't wheeze, except when I am on death's door,
    > but I have a wheezy cough. And when my asthma is acting up (like
    > now) I cough a lot.
    > Anyone know how to get cigarette odor out of furniture and the carpet?
    > I just moved into a new apartment, and the place has a faint reek of
    > cigarettes. It is activating my asthma. My company is changing out
    > the sofa and chair tomorrow, but I am not sure if it is in the carpet
    > as well.....
    >
    > Christine

    You may have to call a company like ServiceMaster that specializes in smoke
    removal.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  16. On Mon 17 Apr 2006 08:06:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Christine
    Dabney?

    > cough-variant asthma

    Christine... How does one recognize this?

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  17. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Mon 17 Apr 2006 08:06:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Christine
    > Dabney?
    >
    > > cough-variant asthma

    > Christine... How does one recognize this?

    I'm not Christine, but basically you cough as your only symptom (or
    nearly only symptom). Your lungs can inhale the air but have trouble
    expelling it, so you cough...and cough...and cough...to try to expell
    the air. It is often misdiagnosed as bronchitis or URI (viral) and
    doctors don't know that what they are looking at is asthma.

    For me, I get triggered by normal "asthma" triggers - smoke, perfumes,
    hot or cold air, etc. Then I cough my head off until I can do a couple
    of puffs of albuterol. I also am on Advair prophylactically during
    cold season. When under the spell, I wheeze at night but not the
    gasping wheeze of a normal asthmatic - it's more like a whistle. I
    also am short of breath and tight at times, but not normally - normally
    I just cough. My spirometry tests show almost normal patterns, but
    trouble expelling air, especially at the end.

    When I had my fist extended bout with it, the only thing that
    eventually cured me was nebulized lidocaine, 10 minutes, 4 times
    daily. Numbing the airway caused the coughing to cease, and the
    inflammation eventually subsided. It took 6 weeks or so for it to
    resolve competely. That's a treatment I never want to do again.

    -L.

  18. On Mon 17 Apr 2006 10:01:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Mon 17 Apr 2006 08:06:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> Christine Dabney?
    >>
    >> > cough-variant asthma

    >> Christine... How does one recognize this?

    > I'm not Christine, but basically you cough as your only symptom (or
    > nearly only symptom). Your lungs can inhale the air but have trouble
    > expelling it, so you cough...and cough...and cough...to try to expell
    > the air. It is often misdiagnosed as bronchitis or URI (viral) and
    > doctors don't know that what they are looking at is asthma.
    >
    > For me, I get triggered by normal "asthma" triggers - smoke, perfumes,
    > hot or cold air, etc. Then I cough my head off until I can do a couple
    > of puffs of albuterol. I also am on Advair prophylactically during
    > cold season. When under the spell, I wheeze at night but not the
    > gasping wheeze of a normal asthmatic - it's more like a whistle. I
    > also am short of breath and tight at times, but not normally - normally
    > I just cough. My spirometry tests show almost normal patterns, but
    > trouble expelling air, especially at the end.
    >
    > When I had my fist extended bout with it, the only thing that
    > eventually cured me was nebulized lidocaine, 10 minutes, 4 times
    > daily. Numbing the airway caused the coughing to cease, and the
    > inflammation eventually subsided. It took 6 weeks or so for it to
    > resolve competely. That's a treatment I never want to do again.

    Thanks for the explanation. I asked because I have wondered if I have a
    "mild" case of it. (That is, if one can have a "mild" case of it.) My
    symtoms sound familiar but not as severe. I've not been tested, and I've
    never had regular asthma. I know to the extent that I *may* have this
    that it's really an awful condition. I can't imagine how a case as bad as
    yours must feel.

    I do hope you're feeling much better very soon.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  19. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > Thanks for the explanation. I asked because I have wondered if I have a
    > "mild" case of it. (That is, if one can have a "mild" case of it.)

    I think you can. Mine "comes and goes" to varying degrees throughout
    the year.

    > My
    > symtoms sound familiar but not as severe. I've not been tested, and I've
    > never had regular asthma. I know to the extent that I *may* have this
    > that it's really an awful condition. I can't imagine how a case as bad as
    > yours must feel.
    >
    > I do hope you're feeling much better very soon.

    Thanks, Wayne. Ask your doc about it. It never hurts to try an
    albuterol inhaler to see if you get symptomatic releif (assuming you
    can tolerate albuterol).

    -L.