Nature claiming back single track - Melbourne Vic.

Marx SS

Jun 8, 2004
Took to the various single tracks alongside the bike trail from Yarra bend to Westerfolds (Melbourne) yesterday, haven’t been down this way in about a month. Amazed how the recent rain/warmth has caused some of the single track to get overgrown. I reckon most of the single track would disappear in the next month ro so if they’re not used.

A call to Melbourne’s inner metro MTB’s, if you don’t use it, you’ll lose it.
I suppose there would be some die back over the latter part of Summer & into autumn, but it’s handy having this amount of navigable single-track like this 10min ride from my front door.

It was warm yesterday, and along the river I did come across a snake out there, so keep an eye out.

Marx SS said:
Took to the various single tracks alongside the bike trail from Yarra bend to Westerfolds (Melbourne) yesterday, haven’t been down this way in about a month. Amazed how the recent rain/warmth has caused some of the single track to get overgrown. I reckon most of the single track would disappear in the next month ro so if they’re not used.

A call to Melbourne’s inner metro MTB’s, if you don’t use it, you’ll lose it.
I suppose there would be some die back over the latter part of Summer & into autumn, but it’s handy having this amount of navigable single-track like this 10min ride from my front door.

It was warm yesterday, and along the river I did come across a snake out there, so keep an eye out.

Yeah, the re-growth has been thick this year. My shins are showing plenty of use. Might have to wear longs, or fire up the line trimmer. :)

The reason its overgrown is people like myself, and other members of the local mtb club, haven't done any trail maintenance. usually once a week, different people maintain diferent sections of the singletrack. I look after Alphington to the city (Brewery).

I will be doing a maintenance ride on Sunday out to Westerfelds, interested?

Far out, didn’t realised the single track was ‘maintained’, just thought that guys using them left the groove.

I’ll make a point to do some running maintenance next time I’m out there, treading lightly of course. (no moving logs or large branches, can’t make it too easy, eh?)