Nausea Long After Running

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Mike S., Mar 10, 2004.

  1. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    I have a 35? year old? female friend who has run
    several marathons
    (3:30 - 4:00 range) over the last few years who has just
    decided to stop running due to nausea and vomiting that
    sometimes lasts 2-3 days after even short runs. She has
    changed her diet and tried several prescription antacids
    to no avail. It apears to be a gastric reflux problem.

    Any ideas what her problem may be?

    Thanks.

    Mike S.

    Tags:

  2. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    mike s. wrote:
    > I have a 35? year old? female friend who has run several
    > marathons
    > (3:30 - 4:00 range) over the last few years who has just
    > decided to stop running due to nausea and vomiting that
    > sometimes lasts 2-3 days after even short runs. She has
    > changed her diet and tried several prescription
    > antacids to no avail. It apears to be a gastric reflux
    > problem.
    >
    > Any ideas what her problem may be?

    No, but I know a man who does. He's called a doctor and
    she'd be well advised to seek one.

    2 to 3 days of vomiting after short runs? That's got to
    deserve investigation.

    Tim

    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support
    rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit

  3. anonymous

    anonymous Guest

    Could be parasites. Have her eat blueberries

  4. In article <[email protected]>, mike s. wrote:
    > I have a 35? year old? female friend who has run several
    > marathons
    > (3:30 - 4:00 range) over the last few years who has just
    > decided to stop running due to nausea and vomiting that
    > sometimes lasts 2-3 days after even short runs. She has
    > changed her diet and tried several prescription
    > antacids to no avail. It apears to be a gastric reflux
    > problem.
    >
    > Any ideas what her problem may be?

    No idea, and I'd second Tim's advice. This is *not* normal,
    and it doesn't sound like any "running problem" I've heard
    of (hence most runners will not be able to give a good
    answer), but rather, some condition whose symptoms are
    exposed by physical exertion. It does deserve medical
    attention.

    It is not that unusual for runners to experience sporadic
    cases of nausea, but nothing even close to the degree that
    you've described (which to me suggests some sort of illness,
    but don't take my word for it, go ask your doc)

    Cheers,

  5. In article <[email protected]>, mike s. wrote:
    > I have a 35? year old? female friend who has run several
    > marathons
    > (3:30 - 4:00 range) over the last few years who has just
    > decided to stop running due to nausea and vomiting that
    > sometimes lasts 2-3 days after even short runs. She has
    > changed her diet and tried several prescription
    > antacids to no avail. It apears to be a gastric reflux
    > problem.
    >
    > Any ideas what her problem may be?

    No idea, and I'd second Tim's advice. This is *not* normal,
    and it doesn't sound like any "running problem" I've heard
    of (hence most runners will not be able to give a good
    answer), but rather, some condition whose symptoms are
    exposed by physical exertion. It does deserve medical
    attention.

    It is not that unusual for runners to experience sporadic
    cases of nausea, but nothing even close to the degree that
    you've described (which to me suggests some sort of illness,
    but don't take my word for it, go ask your doc)

    Cheers,

  6. Carlos Jones

    Carlos Jones Guest

    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:03:51 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >Could be parasites. Have her eat blueberries

    Excellent idea. Perhaps she should add eye of newt or skin
    of toad and cure cancer whilst she's at it?

  7. Carlos Jones

    Carlos Jones Guest

    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:03:51 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >Could be parasites. Have her eat blueberries

    Excellent idea. Perhaps she should add eye of newt or skin
    of toad and cure cancer whilst she's at it?

  8. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    She has been seeing a doctor, hence the mention of using
    "prescription" antacids!

    Are you from a strange place where all doctors are men?

    "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > mike s. wrote:
    > > I have a 35? year old? female friend who has run several
    > > marathons
    > > (3:30 - 4:00 range) over the last few years who has just
    > > decided to stop running due to nausea and vomiting
    > > that sometimes lasts 2-3 days after even short runs.
    > > She has changed her diet and tried several
    > > prescription antacids to no avail. It apears to be a
    > > gastric reflux problem.
    > >
    > > Any ideas what her problem may be?
    >
    > No, but I know a man who does. He's called a doctor and
    > she'd be well advised to seek one.
    >
    > 2 to 3 days of vomiting after short runs? That's got to
    > deserve investigation.
    >
    > Tim
    >
    > --
    > Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support
    > rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit
    > http://www.justgiving.com/pfp/speyside or
    > http://www.justgiving.com/speyside if you're a UK
    > tax payer.

  9. Miss-G-

    Miss-G- Guest

  10. Bj

    Bj Guest

    Maybe she needs to see a different doctor or at least go
    back to the one she has seen -- if the problem persists, so
    should investigating it. bj

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:NPOdnS8IRMYgIdLdRVn-
    [email protected]
    > She has been seeing a doctor, hence the mention of using
    > "prescription"
    antacids!

  11. Eno

    Eno Guest

    Any possibility of pregnancy?

    --
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,-
    ,ø¤º eNo "If you can't go fast, go long." ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°-

  12. blueberries are nicer than eye of newt or skin of toad - they also have
    proven benefits (look where newts and toads got Lady McB, a sub 3 thonner if
    ever I saw one)
    "Carlos Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:03:51 GMT,
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > >Could be parasites. Have her eat blueberries
    >
    > Excellent idea. Perhaps she should add eye of newt or skin
    > of toad and cure cancer whilst she's at it?

  13. blueberries are nicer than eye of newt or skin of toad - they also have
    proven benefits (look where newts and toads got Lady McB, a sub 3 thonner if
    ever I saw one)
    "Carlos Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:03:51 GMT,
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > >Could be parasites. Have her eat blueberries
    >
    > Excellent idea. Perhaps she should add eye of newt or skin
    > of toad and cure cancer whilst she's at it?

  14. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Mike S. wrote:
    > She has been seeing a doctor, hence the mention of using
    > "prescription" antacids!

    In which case they're not working and she needs to go back.
    Her doctor isn't psychic and unless she tells him/her,
    he/she won't know that the antacids aren't working.

    > Are you from a strange place where all doctors are men?

    No, I sometimes just get tired of the he/she, him/her stuff.

    It's *probably* nothing serious, but then again, we can't
    tell and it would be wrong to discount an oddity like this
    as just a side effect of running. As eNo has mentioned, it
    would be worth making discrete enquiries about the
    possibility of pregnancy.

    Tim
    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support
    rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit
    http://www.justgiving.com/pfp/speyside or
    http://www.justgiving.com/speyside if you're a UK tax payer.

  15. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Mike S. wrote:
    > She has been seeing a doctor, hence the mention of using
    > "prescription" antacids!

    In which case they're not working and she needs to go back.
    Her doctor isn't psychic and unless she tells him/her,
    he/she won't know that the antacids aren't working.

    > Are you from a strange place where all doctors are men?

    No, I sometimes just get tired of the he/she, him/her stuff.

    It's *probably* nothing serious, but then again, we can't
    tell and it would be wrong to discount an oddity like this
    as just a side effect of running. As eNo has mentioned, it
    would be worth making discrete enquiries about the
    possibility of pregnancy.

    Tim
    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support
    rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit
    http://www.justgiving.com/pfp/speyside or
    http://www.justgiving.com/speyside if you're a UK tax payer.

  16. Jojo

    Jojo Guest

    "mike s." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a 35? year old? female friend who has run several
    > marathons
    > (3:30 - 4:00 range) over the last few years who has just
    > decided to stop running due to nausea and vomiting that
    > sometimes lasts 2-3 days after even short runs. She has
    > changed her diet and tried several prescription
    > antacids to no avail. It apears to be a gastric reflux
    > problem.
    >
    > Any ideas what her problem may be?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mike S.

    Mike, has she seen an internal medicine doctor? She may need
    an "emptying scan". My spouse had problems with reoccurring
    nausea and vomiting (no relationship to running though) and
    found out through the scan that her stomach was not emptying
    properly. A change in medication has worked wonders. (she
    was also taking prescription antacids and acid reducers)

    jojo

  17. Which of her problems are you referring to? The nausea
    problem, or the having you as a friend problem?

  18. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    Tim - thanks for your continued input on this subject ...
    the thought of pregnancy had crossed my mind. I think I will
    have my wife ask her that question.

    "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > Mike S. wrote:
    > > She has been seeing a doctor, hence the mention of using
    > > "prescription" antacids!
    >
    > In which case they're not working and she needs to go
    > back. Her doctor isn't psychic and unless she tells
    > him/her, he/she won't know that the antacids aren't
    > working.
    >

    > > Are you from a strange place where all doctors are men?
    >
    > No, I sometimes just get tired of the he/she,
    > him/her stuff.
    >
    > It's *probably* nothing serious, but then again, we can't
    > tell and it
    would
    > be wrong to discount an oddity like this as just a side
    > effect of running. As eNo has mentioned, it would be worth
    > making discrete enquiries about
    the
    > possibility of pregnancy.
    >
    > Tim
    > --
    > Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support
    > rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit
    > http://www.justgiving.com/pfp/speyside or
    > http://www.justgiving.com/speyside if you're a UK
    > tax payer.

  19. Open Piper

    Open Piper Guest

    [email protected] (mike s.) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a 35? year old? female friend who has run several
    > marathons
    > (3:30 - 4:00 range) over the last few years who has just
    > decided to stop running due to nausea and vomiting that
    > sometimes lasts 2-3 days after even short runs.

    She's extremely ugly, remove al mirrors within her gaze.

  20. Mike Maxwell

    Mike Maxwell Guest

    mike s. wrote:
    > I have a 35? year old? female friend who has run several
    > marathons
    > (3:30 - 4:00 range) over the last few years who has just
    > decided to stop running due to nausea and vomiting that
    > sometimes lasts 2-3 days after even short runs.

    I doubt this is the problem, but just in case (or for others
    who read this thread because they've had nausea after long
    runs)--that used to happen to me regularly, until I started
    hydrating during the run. (I wear a camelback.) The nausea
    problem (the nausea always happened a few minutes after I
    ended a long run) stopped as soon as I started drinking
    during the run, and has never returned.

    Mike McSwell