navigator 200 vs trek 7300

Elhanan Maayan

Guest
hi...

(i don't know if this the 2nd post i got dissconnected during the middle of the first)

i'm 6'3 200 pounds. i need a bike that will allow me to go work each day, the ride is for 4 miles
and around half an hour.

i do not plan to ride rough terrain but city may have unbuilt construction sites and sandy areas i
need to go thourgh.

i need something that will alllow me to gather up speed without much effort so i was worried to find
out the navigator 200 is heavier then trek 7300, but everyone seems to be putting much emphasys on
how comfy these bikes are.

although i need somethign durable all the bouncing i'm planning to do is to jump between the
sidewalk and the road and vice versa.

so which one do u think is more right for me? (i like upright position either way).

Elhanan Maayan wrote:

> hi...
>
> (i don't know if this the 2nd post i got dissconnected during the middle of the first)
>
> i'm 6'3 200 pounds. i need a bike that will allow me to go work each day, the ride is for 4 miles
> and around half an hour.
>
> i do not plan to ride rough terrain but city may have unbuilt construction sites and sandy areas i
> need to go thourgh.
>
> i need something that will alllow me to gather up speed without much effort so i was worried to
> find out the navigator 200 is heavier then trek 7300, but everyone seems to be putting much
> emphasys on how comfy these bikes are.
>
> although i need somethign durable all the bouncing i'm planning to do is to jump between the
> sidewalk and the road and vice versa.
>
> so which one do u think is more right for me? (i like upright position either way).

I'd go for the 7300. The 4 mile ride is going to take you much less than 30 minutes after you've
done it a few times. <G>

Barry

Know nothing of the Navigator 200 but I have a 7300 and love it. My avg ride is 25 miles doing 150
miles a week, all on paved roads or hardpacked bike paths. (No off roading) Many claim the saddle is
cheap and uncomfortable. Personally I like it, fits my butt nicely. Only think I have changed is the
tires to the Bontrager Kevlars (didn't help my flat problems alot) and went for some Shimano pedals.
The stock pedals are plastic/rubber and slippery if you get the soles of your shoes wet. I wear mnt
bike shoes no clips. I've put 4000 miles on the bike since August and only 1 problem. Had to replace
freehub body about 2 weeks ago. I ride outside all winter (upstate NY) and it died from all the
salt/sand they throw on the roads here. $40 repair for 4000 miles seems reasonable to me. I'm 6ft
and started at 208lbs. Have lost 25 lbs just riding the bike. "Elhanan Maayan" <[email protected]>
> hi...
>
> (i don't know if this the 2nd post i got dissconnected during the middle of the first)
>
> i'm 6'3 200 pounds. i need a bike that will allow me to go work each day, the ride is for 4 miles
> and around half an hour.
>
> i do not plan to ride rough terrain but city may have unbuilt construction sites and sandy areas i
> need to go thourgh.
>
> i need something that will alllow me to gather up speed without much effort so i was worried to
> find out the navigator 200 is heavier then trek 7300, but everyone seems to be putting much
> emphasys on how comfy these bikes are.
>
> although i need somethign durable all the bouncing i'm planning to do is to jump between the
> sidewalk and the road and vice versa.
>
> so which one do u think is more right for me? (i like upright position either way).

=v= Get a Navigator. Then I could get out my Expedition and we could ride together. <_Jym_

what do u mean didn't help ur' flat problems alot? i don't know if they sell bontrager kevlars.. do
u recommend replacing the pedals? what's a freehub?

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Know nothing of the Navigator 200 but I have a 7300 and love it. My avg ride is 25 miles doing 150
> miles a week, all on paved roads or hardpacked bike paths. (No off roading) Many claim the saddle
> is cheap and uncomfortable. Personally I like it, fits my butt nicely. Only think I have changed
> is the tires to the Bontrager Kevlars (didn't help my flat problems alot) and went for some
> Shimano pedals. The stock pedals are plastic/rubber and slippery if you get the soles of your
> shoes wet. I wear mnt bike shoes no clips. I've put 4000 miles on the bike since August and only 1
> problem. Had to replace freehub body about 2 weeks ago. I ride outside all winter (upstate NY) and
> it died from all the salt/sand they throw on the roads here. $40 repair for 4000 miles seems
> reasonable to me. I'm 6ft and started at 208lbs. Have lost 25 lbs just riding the bike. "Elhanan
> Maayan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > hi...
> >
> > (i don't know if this the 2nd post i got dissconnected during the middle of the first)
> >
> > i'm 6'3 200 pounds. i need a bike that will allow me to go work each day, the ride is for 4
> > miles and around half an hour.
> >
> > i do not plan to ride rough terrain but city may have unbuilt construction sites and sandy areas
> > i need to go thourgh.
> >
> > i need something that will alllow me to gather up speed without much effort so i was worried to
> > find out the navigator 200 is heavier then trek 7300, but everyone seems to be putting much
> > emphasys on how comfy these bikes are.
> >
> > although i need somethign durable all the bouncing i'm planning to do is to jump between the
> > sidewalk and the road and vice versa.
> >
> > so which one do u think is more right for me? (i like upright position either way).

"Elhanan Maayan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> so which one do u think is more right for me? (i like upright position either way).

The Navigator will ride softer because it its fatter tires. The 7300 will be faster because of its
narrower, higher-pressure tires. Both bikes give up a lot in terms of performance for the sake of
"comfort," and there's not really going to be a terrrible lot of difference between them. Both bikes
have entry-level front shocks, which are not very useful on pavement.

The 7300 gets the nod because its somewhat more suitable for the type of riding you plan to do.

But please stay off the sidewalks. Sidewalks are for pedestrians.

RichC

I go in streaks...many weeks without a flat problem, then it seems a flat every ride. Nothing to do
with the bike, tires etc, just a fact of life. I replace the Bontrager Select Invert with Select
Invert "K"'s which have a Kevlar belt. Hasn't helped alot. If I did it again, I'd wear out the tires
that came on the bike, then buy the "K's". The freehub is part of the rear wheel and drive train.
Don't read anything into its failure, as I said, I ride in some bad conditions.....road salt/sand
eats parts. Replacing the pedals is a personal choice. Certainly the stock pedals work, I just
wanted something with more grip on my soles since I don't use any clips "Elhanan Maayan"
> what do u mean didn't help ur' flat problems alot? i don't know if they sell bontrager kevlars..
> do u recommend replacing the pedals? what's a freehub?
>

> "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Know nothing of the Navigator 200 but I have a 7300 and love it. My avg ride is 25 miles doing
> > 150 miles a week, all on paved roads or
hardpacked
> > bike paths. (No off roading) Many claim the saddle is cheap and uncomfortable. Personally I like
> > it, fits my butt nicely. Only think I have changed is the tires to the Bontrager Kevlars (didn't
> > help my flat problems alot) and went for some Shimano pedals. The stock pedals are
> > plastic/rubber and slippery if you get the soles of your shoes wet. I
wear
> > mnt bike shoes no clips. I've put 4000 miles on the bike since August
and
> > only 1 problem. Had to replace freehub body about 2 weeks ago. I ride outside all winter
> > (upstate NY) and it died from all the salt/sand they throw on the roads here. $40 repair for
> > 4000 miles seems reasonable to
me.
> > I'm 6ft and started at 208lbs. Have lost 25 lbs just riding the bike. "Elhanan Maayan"
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > hi...
> > >
> > > (i don't know if this the 2nd post i got dissconnected during the middle of the first)
> > >
> > > i'm 6'3 200 pounds. i need a bike that will allow me to go work each day, the ride is for 4
> > > miles and around half an hour.
> > >
> > > i do not plan to ride rough terrain but city may have unbuilt construction sites and sandy
> > > areas i need to go thourgh.
> > >
> > > i need something that will alllow me to gather up speed without much effort so i was worried
> > > to find out the navigator 200 is heavier then trek 7300, but everyone seems to be putting much
> > > emphasys on how comfy these bikes are.
> > >
> > > although i need somethign durable all the bouncing i'm planning to do is to jump between the
> > > sidewalk and the road and vice versa.
> > >
> > > so which one do u think is more right for me? (i like upright position either way).

My first choice would be for the 7300... rides really nice, easier to pedal than the Navigator
series. But those sandy areas? That could be a problem. There's no substitute for bigger tires
through sand. If you're just talking about some debris on the surface, no problem, the 7300 ought to
do fine. But if you're actually having to ride *through* sand (something I wouldn't recommend, by
the way), then the big fat tires on the Navigator are going to be a whole lot better.

"Elhanan Maayan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hi...
>
> (i don't know if this the 2nd post i got dissconnected during the middle of the first)
>
> i'm 6'3 200 pounds. i need a bike that will allow me to go work each day, the ride is for 4 miles
> and around half an hour.
>
> i do not plan to ride rough terrain but city may have unbuilt construction sites and sandy areas i
> need to go thourgh.
>
> i need something that will alllow me to gather up speed without much effort so i was worried to
> find out the navigator 200 is heavier then trek 7300, but everyone seems to be putting much
> emphasys on how comfy these bikes are.
>
> although i need somethign durable all the bouncing i'm planning to do is to jump between the
> sidewalk and the road and vice versa.
>
> so which one do u think is more right for me? (i like upright position either way).

>> =v= Get a Navigator. Then I could get out my Expedition and we could ride together.
> what do u mean?

=v= I'm being silly, running a weak joke into the ground. My "Expedition" is a bike made by
Specialized, but like the "Navigator," sounds like an SUV. That's all. <_Jym_>

P.S.: Bike Friday also makes a "Metro."

thanks i think i'm gonna go for the 7500 it has a better frame shifts.. however i was recently
offered 2 other choices which are kona's dr. dew and cannondale comfort 400s

i was told the kona's dr. dew has better shifting built for speed. and is better then trek 7500.

anything about that?

news:<[email protected]>...
> My first choice would be for the 7300... rides really nice, easier to pedal than the Navigator
> series. But those sandy areas? That could be a problem. There's no substitute for bigger tires
> through sand. If you're just talking about some debris on the surface, no problem, the 7300 ought
> to do fine. But if you're actually having to ride *through* sand (something I wouldn't recommend,
> by the way), then the big fat tires on the Navigator are going to be a whole lot better.

> "Elhanan Maayan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > hi...
> >
> > (i don't know if this the 2nd post i got dissconnected during the middle of the first)
> >
> > i'm 6'3 200 pounds. i need a bike that will allow me to go work each day, the ride is for 4
> > miles and around half an hour.
> >
> > i do not plan to ride rough terrain but city may have unbuilt construction sites and sandy areas
> > i need to go thourgh.
> >
> > i need something that will alllow me to gather up speed without much effort so i was worried to
> > find out the navigator 200 is heavier then trek 7300, but everyone seems to be putting much
> > emphasys on how comfy these bikes are.
> >
> > although i need somethign durable all the bouncing i'm planning to do is to jump between the
> > sidewalk and the road and vice versa.
> >
> > so which one do u think is more right for me? (i like upright position either way).

and i almost forgot they offered to replace the fixed stem on the kona with an adustable one like
trek 7500.

news:<[email protected]>...

Elhanan Maayan wrote:

> thanks i think i'm gonna go for the 7500 it has a better frame shifts.. however i was recently
> offered 2 other choices which are kona's dr. dew and cannondale comfort 400s
>
> i was told the kona's dr. dew has better shifting built for speed. and is better then trek 7500.

Riiight. Built for speed. <G> That salesperson would send me running.

That's because you're starting to get just a bit off track.

To me, the Dr. Dew looks more like a cross between the 7500FX or 7700FX, with disc brakes.

Shifter-wise, the Dr. Dew is slightly better than the 7500FX, but below th 7700FX. Notice that I
said 7500FX, and not the 7500. They are slightly different. The Dr. Dew is also very similar to the
Cannondale Bad Boy.

Which one fits better when you ride it?

Barry

"Elhanan Maayan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> and i almost forgot they offered to replace the fixed stem on the kona with an adustable one like
> trek 7500.

I'm not much of a fan of adjustable stems, since they shorten the reach as they raise the bar
height. If a bike has a threadless headset, then a better offer would be for the shop to agree to
swap stems of various lengths and angles until you're happy.

RichC

what is a threadless headset?

"Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Elhanan Maayan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > and i almost forgot they offered to replace the fixed stem on the kona with an adustable one
> > like trek 7500.
>
> I'm not much of a fan of adjustable stems, since they shorten the reach as they raise the bar
> height. If a bike has a threadless headset, then a better offer would be for the shop to agree to
> swap stems of various lengths and angles until you're happy.
>
> RichC

i never road the fx's nor do i want to, the 7500 comfort feature are rather good to me. i like
upright riding, and they suggested to fit
dr .dew with a stem like 7500.

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Elhanan Maayan wrote:
> >
> > thanks i think i'm gonna go for the 7500 it has a better frame shifts.. however i was recently
> > offered 2 other choices which are kona's dr. dew and cannondale comfort 400s
> >
> > i was told the kona's dr. dew has better shifting built for speed. and is better then trek 7500.
> >

> Riiight. Built for speed. <G> That salesperson would send me running.
>
> That's because you're starting to get just a bit off track.
>
> To me, the Dr. Dew looks more like a cross between the 7500FX or 7700FX, with disc brakes.
>
> Shifter-wise, the Dr. Dew is slightly better than the 7500FX, but below th 7700FX. Notice that I
> said 7500FX, and not the 7500. They are slightly different. The Dr. Dew is also very similar to
> the Cannondale Bad Boy.
>

> Which one fits better when you ride it?
>
> Barry

> thanks i think i'm gonna go for the 7500 it has a better frame shifts.. however i was recently
> offered 2 other choices which are kona's dr. dew and cannondale comfort 400s
>
> i was told the kona's dr. dew has better shifting built for speed. and is better then trek 7500.

I couldn't find a reference to an '03 Dr. Dew, just '02s, so this may not be accurate, but it
appears that the Dr. Dew is more of an upright-bar road bike than a comfort machine. So technically
I'd say the Dr. Dew is a "faster" bike, more similar to the 7500FX or 7700FX models (which don't
have a suspension fork or seatpost).

"Elhanan Maayan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> thanks i think i'm gonna go for the 7500 it has a better frame shifts.. however i was recently
> offered 2 other choices which are kona's dr. dew and cannondale comfort 400s
>
> i was told the kona's dr. dew has better shifting built for speed. and is better then trek 7500.
>
> anything about that?
>
> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > My first choice would be for the 7300... rides really nice, easier to
pedal
> > than the Navigator series. But those sandy areas? That could be a
problem.
> > There's no substitute for bigger tires through sand. If you're just
talking
> > about some debris on the surface, no problem, the 7300 ought to do fine. But if you're actually
> > having to ride *through* sand (something I
wouldn't
> > recommend, by the way), then the big fat tires on the Navigator are
going to
> > be a whole lot better.
> >
> > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
> >

> > "Elhanan Maayan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > hi...
> > >
> > > (i don't know if this the 2nd post i got dissconnected during the middle of the first)
> > >
> > > i'm 6'3 200 pounds. i need a bike that will allow me to go work each day, the ride is for 4
> > > miles and around half an hour.
> > >
> > > i do not plan to ride rough terrain but city may have unbuilt construction sites and sandy
> > > areas i need to go thourgh.
> > >
> > > i need something that will alllow me to gather up speed without much effort so i was worried
> > > to find out the navigator 200 is heavier then trek 7300, but everyone seems to be putting much
> > > emphasys on how comfy these bikes are.
> > >
> > > although i need somethign durable all the bouncing i'm planning to do is to jump between the
> > > sidewalk and the road and vice versa.
> > >
> > > so which one do u think is more right for me? (i like upright position either way).

so that would mean i would have re-outfit it, with a jell chair, a seatpost with a shock abosrb, and
and an upright handle, while the 7500 comes with them allready.

news:<[email protected]>...