NBC, Channel 5 newsreporter insinuates, "I'm Crazy!"

Ed Gin

Guest
Chicago is currently in it's 15th day of below freezing HIGH temperatures with wind chills and lows
hovering around the zero area.

Yesterday, while watching the morning news and City wide alerts warning NOT to go outside unless
absolutely necessary, I was moved.

Riding past the Channel 5 news crew for the second time during my late morning ride, I decided to
approach them for a bit of conversation. News reporter, Ms. Padilla asked me with much enthusiasm,
"Are you crazy?"

"Of course I am, but it is a beautiful day to be outside," I replied!

"How long have you been out?"

"Oh, I'm at 1 hour 45 minutes with about 30 miles on the odometer. I have another 20 miles to go
after my scheduled warm up at Navy Pier."

"Aren't you cold?"

"Not really, as long as you properly layer with "wicking" clothing, staying warm is entirely
possible."

The other genlemen approaches and interjects, "We've been out here for 3 hours and you're the second
person to come by! Isn't that bicycyle more aerodynamic?

"You bet, and it does help to keep the wind off somewhat. It's about 10 per cent more efficient than
the best road bikes."

We continue our conversation and the camera man asks me to ride pass him slowly to add it to the
newscast later that afternoon. Upon returning the crew gives me their business card and arranges for
a possible future interview......hmmmmmm......

Incase you missed the broadcast, I'll bet they'll show it again tonight at 10 PM. Just look for the
insert as their "winter clothing expert" explains what to wear.

Your publicity hound rider..... Ed

Ed:

I recall being carless in Spokane in 1968 (or '69?) when the temperatures were well below -20F.
Without a car I used to walk from the South Hill to Brown's Addition to visit friends, a distance of
at least six miles, on a pretty regular basis. And this was long before Polartech and "wicking"
fabrics. (I think I wore some cotton long underwear, a Navy "P" Jacket, a wool sweater, gloves, a
scarf, a wool cap, wool socks, and golashes over boots. I don't recall there being a big scare
campaign about the weather, although to tell the truth I didn't really watch much TV at the time.

I also recall that in boarding school in the midwest we used to start sun bathing as soon as the
temps got up to 40F. We were obsessed with not being "pastey" by summer vacation.

--
--Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

"Ed Gin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Chicago is currently in it's 15th day of below freezing HIGH temperatures with wind chills and
> lows hovering around the zero area.
>
> Yesterday, while watching the morning news and City wide alerts warning NOT to go outside unless
> absolutely necessary, I was moved.
>
> Riding past the Channel 5 news crew for the second time during my late morning ride, I decided to
> approach them for a bit of conversation. News reporter, Ms. Padilla asked me with much enthusiasm,
> "Are you crazy?"
>
> "Of course I am, but it is a beautiful day to be outside," I replied!
>
> "How long have you been out?"
>
> "Oh, I'm at 1 hour 45 minutes with about 30 miles on the odometer. I have another 20 miles to go
> after my scheduled warm up at Navy Pier."
>
> "Aren't you cold?"
>
> "Not really, as long as you properly layer with "wicking" clothing, staying warm is entirely
> possible."
>
> The other genlemen approaches and interjects, "We've been out here for 3 hours and you're the
> second person to come by! Isn't that bicycyle more aerodynamic?
>
> "You bet, and it does help to keep the wind off somewhat. It's about 10 per cent more efficient
> than the best road bikes."
>
> We continue our conversation and the camera man asks me to ride pass him slowly to add it to the
> newscast later that afternoon. Upon returning the crew gives me their business card and arranges
> for a possible future interview......hmmmmmm......
>
> Incase you missed the broadcast, I'll bet they'll show it again tonight at 10 PM. Just look for
> the insert as their "winter clothing expert" explains what to wear.
>
> Your publicity hound rider..... Ed

Hi Ed, If people would just get out in cold weather dressed properly, they would see that you can
have great fun biking, running, skiing, walking, etc. I just got back from 40 mile ride in 18-32F
and 13-27 knot winds. It was so clean and clear and exhilarating. Weather reports today scare a lot
people about cold weather. And we Americans have just gotten too fat and soft. ~~~ Al Kubeluis ~
Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~~~

"Ed Gin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Chicago is currently in it's 15th day of below freezing HIGH temperatures with wind chills and
> lows hovering around the zero area.
>
> Yesterday, while watching the morning news and City wide alerts warning NOT to go outside unless
> absolutely necessary, I was moved.
>
> Riding past the Channel 5 news crew for the second time during my late morning ride, I decided to
> approach them for a bit of conversation. News reporter, Ms. Padilla asked me with much enthusiasm,
> "Are you crazy?"
>
> "Of course I am, but it is a beautiful day to be outside," I replied!
>
> "How long have you been out?"
>
> "Oh, I'm at 1 hour 45 minutes with about 30 miles on the odometer. I have another 20 miles to go
> after my scheduled warm up at Navy Pier."
>
> "Aren't you cold?"
>
> "Not really, as long as you properly layer with "wicking" clothing, staying warm is entirely
> possible."
>
> The other genlemen approaches and interjects, "We've been out here for 3 hours and you're the
> second person to come by! Isn't that bicycyle more aerodynamic?
>
> "You bet, and it does help to keep the wind off somewhat. It's about 10 per cent more efficient
> than the best road bikes."
>
> We continue our conversation and the camera man asks me to ride pass him slowly to add it to the
> newscast later that afternoon. Upon returning the crew gives me their business card and arranges
> for a possible future interview......hmmmmmm......
>
> Incase you missed the broadcast, I'll bet they'll show it again tonight at 10 PM. Just look for
> the insert as their "winter clothing expert" explains what to wear.
>
> Your publicity hound rider..... Ed

See what you have to do by yourself to get an interview! Freeze a little.

I on the other hand, haul my faithful beagle Smokey and every year, I'm interview by
newspapers and TV.

But, anyway we can promote cycling and recumbents, is all that matters

Denny Paw Paw Mi "Ed Gin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Chicago is currently in it's 15th day of below freezing HIGH temperatures with wind chills and
> lows hovering around the zero area.
>
> Yesterday, while watching the morning news and City wide alerts warning NOT to go outside unless
> absolutely necessary, I was moved.
>
> Riding past the Channel 5 news crew for the second time during my late morning ride, I decided to
> approach them for a bit of conversation. News reporter, Ms. Padilla asked me with much enthusiasm,
> "Are you crazy?"
>
> "Of course I am, but it is a beautiful day to be outside," I replied!
>
> "How long have you been out?"
>
> "Oh, I'm at 1 hour 45 minutes with about 30 miles on the odometer. I have another 20 miles to go
> after my scheduled warm up at Navy Pier."
>
> "Aren't you cold?"
>
> "Not really, as long as you properly layer with "wicking" clothing, staying warm is entirely
> possible."
>
> The other genlemen approaches and interjects, "We've been out here for 3 hours and you're the
> second person to come by! Isn't that bicycyle more aerodynamic?
>
> "You bet, and it does help to keep the wind off somewhat. It's about 10 per cent more efficient
> than the best road bikes."
>
> We continue our conversation and the camera man asks me to ride pass him slowly to add it to the
> newscast later that afternoon. Upon returning the crew gives me their business card and arranges
> for a possible future interview......hmmmmmm......
>
> Incase you missed the broadcast, I'll bet they'll show it again tonight at 10 PM. Just look for
> the insert as their "winter clothing expert" explains what to wear.
>
> Your publicity hound rider..... Ed

The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><