NBC - Kerry really won

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:49:41 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Try this.
>> **********************
>> Program vote rig:
>> Char vote;
>> If Bush vote = 0;
>> If Kerry vote = 1;
>> rand(0..9);
>> if (rand == 3)
>> {
>> vote = 0;
>> }
>> End program vote rig.
>> ***********************
>> Way to easy.
>> Bill Baka

> So Bill - what makes you think that this wouldn't be VERY easily
> discovered by the election officials using and testing the machines?
> Remember that half of the Diebold machines out there are in the hands
> of Democrat-controlled election officials (many of whom would love
> nothing more than to find out there WAS malicious code).
>
> Sorry, your scenario simply doesn't pass the common sense test.
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $695 ti frame

Something had to have happened. Before the election people were
nothing but bad mouthing the idiot child, yet he won.
Seems kind of strange to me. The guy is a screw up and gets
back in office?
What the F..?
Bill Baka

"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> Something had to have happened. Before the election people were
> nothing but bad mouthing the idiot child, yet he won.
> Seems kind of strange to me. The guy is a screw up and gets
> back in office?
> What the F..?
> Bill Baka

Something did happen... Kerry lost. More people voted for Bush than Kerry.
It's really very simple. The only people doing the bad-mouthing were
losers like yourself. Get over it...even Kerry has gotten over it.

Now you can start campaigning for Hilary in '08. That's gonna be a BLAST.

Cheto de Ameca

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:23:06 -0800, Cheto <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Now you can start campaigning for Hilary in '08. That's gonna be a BLAST.
>
> Cheto de Ameca

Hilary against Arnold?
That would be a real show, err, race.

--
Just Bill again

> Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Try this.
>>**********************
>>Program vote rig:
>>Char vote;
>>If Bush vote = 0;
>>If Kerry vote = 1;
>>rand(0..9);
>>if (rand == 3)
>> {
>> vote = 0;
>> }
>>End program vote rig.
>>***********************
>>Way to easy.
>>Bill Baka

> So Bill - what makes you think that this wouldn't be VERY easily
> discovered by the election officials using and testing the machines?
> Remember that half of the Diebold machines out there are in the hands
> of Democrat-controlled election officials (many of whom would love
> nothing more than to find out there WAS malicious code).
>
> Sorry, your scenario simply doesn't pass the common sense test.

One of the problems with the Diebold system is not the actual code, but
rather the backend tools. MS Access is a good tool for what it was designed
for, but it is not nearly secure or robust enough for a voting system.

No log of who accessed the system/tables, no record of who altered a
table/row/field.

Has *every other file* in the entire system been certified? Not just the
actual voting machines, but the upstream servers and reporting boxes as
well. We can't know, because they won't tell us.

Once the local machines' data is aggregated up to a central machine (again,
into another Access MDB file), a process could be sitting on the central
box, awaiting the updated Access MDB. This code could be in an Excel file,
or a completely different Access MDB. No user has to be present to do
anything, and no code need exist in the actual voting database.

I work with and build Access db's on a daily basis. If my boss proposed
building an election system using Access, I'd laugh. Literally. If he
pressed the issue, I'd try to guide him into a better solution. And if he
demanded, I'd quit.

Can computerized voting be made secure? Sure. No less secure than paper,
levers, chads, or optical scanner systems.
But in this case, it doesn't seem to be.

Having confidence in the voting system is crucial to a democracy. My
personal confidence went down a point or two when I read that they were
using Access as the database engine.

Not saying it happened here, but it's not that tough.

Pete

Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:49:41 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>> So Bill - what makes you think that this wouldn't be VERY easily
>> discovered by the election officials using and testing the machines?
>> Remember that half of the Diebold machines out there are in the hands
>> of Democrat-controlled election officials (many of whom would love
>> nothing more than to find out there WAS malicious code).
>>
>> Sorry, your scenario simply doesn't pass the common sense test.

>Something had to have happened. Before the election people were
>nothing but bad mouthing the idiot child, yet he won.
>Seems kind of strange to me. The guy is a screw up and gets
>back in office?
>What the F..?

Bill, the pre-election polls were showing Bush with a couple % lead.
Most of the state polls were pretty much dead on (when you average
them all out - individual polls, as always, are not a good indicator).

If it would have gone the OTHER way, it would look suspicious.

On the exit polls, MANY more women were polled (54 to 46%). It's
surprising the results were as close to the actual election count as
they were, given that women were much more likely to vote for Kerry).

The country is, and has been pretty much evenly divided for the last
four years, and that is certainly reflected by the people I know - if
you only came across "people badmouthing the (President)", then you're
hanging out with a very homogenous group. You should get out more.
;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:24:56 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:49:41 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>> So Bill - what makes you think that this wouldn't be VERY easily
>>> discovered by the election officials using and testing the machines?
>>> Remember that half of the Diebold machines out there are in the hands
>>> of Democrat-controlled election officials (many of whom would love
>>> nothing more than to find out there WAS malicious code).
>>>
>>> Sorry, your scenario simply doesn't pass the common sense test.

>> Something had to have happened. Before the election people were
>> nothing but bad mouthing the idiot child, yet he won.
>> Seems kind of strange to me. The guy is a screw up and gets
>> back in office?
>> What the F..?

> Bill, the pre-election polls were showing Bush with a couple % lead.
> Most of the state polls were pretty much dead on (when you average
> them all out - individual polls, as always, are not a good indicator).
>
> If it would have gone the OTHER way, it would look suspicious.
>
> On the exit polls, MANY more women were polled (54 to 46%). It's
> surprising the results were as close to the actual election count as
> they were, given that women were much more likely to vote for Kerry).
>
> The country is, and has been pretty much evenly divided for the last
> four years, and that is certainly reflected by the people I know - if
> you only came across "people badmouthing the (President)", then you're
> hanging out with a very homogenous group. You should get out more.
> ;-)

Really. My sister lives in an affluent part of Arizona and not only
shares in my dislike of Bush but so do her neighbors.
I don't want to see how 'free' this country will be in 4 years
but I guess we all will.

--
Just Bill again

In article <_Pwld.2748$h15.2485@trnddc07>,
Richard Tack <[email protected]> wrote:

> http://snipurl.com/amew
>
> Another ridiculous 'Crat conspiracy smashed.

Your source is Ann Coulter? Please. Her article conveniently misses
the bulk of Olberman's arguments. She uses oversimplification and
avoidance in an attempt to discredit Olberman. Even if you just read
Olberman's blog you'll see that there is a lot more there than Ms.
Coulter would like to admit.

Todd Kuzma

Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:24:56 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>> The country is, and has been pretty much evenly divided for the last
>> four years, and that is certainly reflected by the people I know - if
>> you only came across "people badmouthing the (President)", then you're
>> hanging out with a very homogenous group. You should get out more.
>> ;-)

>Really. My sister lives in an affluent part of Arizona and not only
>shares in my dislike of Bush but so do her neighbors.

I also live in a nice part of Arizona, and I saw far more Bush/Cheney
signs in the yards than Kerry/Edwards signs. Additionally, the
neighbors I've shared opinions with were all obviously staunch Bush
supporters.

>I don't want to see how 'free' this country will be in 4 years
>but I guess we all will.

I haven't seen anything that makes me think we're going to be all that
worried about it in four years. Wait, let me rephrase that... I
should have said "I haven't seen anything that makes me think there
will be any reason to be all that worried...". I've found out that
that worry is often totally independent of true cause.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
> I agree with you (the process has to be good). But again, I suspect
> fraud is less likely when it requires a significant amount of
> knowledge of the system to alter the results (and from what I read, it
> doesn't sound like that would be possible without leaving evidence of
> the tampering).

that's textbook security through obscurity. it doesn't matter whether
there are 1,000 people or 1,000,000 who know how to exploit a system,
just that it's exploitable. in fact, that there are few who know how can
be to your advantage (esp. if it's perceived to be "secure").

i'll leave you with this:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?J353212C9
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:12:01 -0500, dgk
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Kerry Won
> By Greg Palast
> TomPaine.com
>
> Thursday 04 November 2004
>
> Kerry won. Here's the facts.
>
> I know you don't want to hear it. You can't face one more hung
>chad. But I don't have a choice. As a journalist examining that messy
>sausage called American democracy, it's my job to tell you who got the
>most votes in the deciding states. Tuesday, in Ohio and New Mexico, it
>was John Kerry.
>
> Most voters in Ohio thought they were voting for Kerry. CNN's exit
>poll showed Kerry beating Bush among Ohio women by 53 percent to 47
>percent. Kerry also defeated Bush among Ohio's male voters 51 percent
>to 49 percent. Unless a third gender voted in Ohio, Kerry took the
>state.
>
> So what's going on here? Answer: the exit polls are accurate.

********!

The exit polls this year were a total disaster. They were horribly wrong from
the get-go and had also been manipulated. Behind the scenes, news companies are
investigating how badly they were had.

We have a secret ballot in this country. That's what counts, not asking people
in public.

Get over it. Your guy lost.

Ron

dgk <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ok, look. I just want to let everyone here to know how much I
>appreciate your aid in my struggle to become a full time bike
>commuter. You are all now officially my friends. My best friend (a
>flesh and blood one) is actually a far right winger and one of the
>nicest people I know, if just wrong about life. We try not to talk
>politics because we end up angry.
>
>That said, Kerry really won. I think people really should read this
>because nothing is more important.

>Kerry Won
> By Greg Palast
> TomPaine.com

TomPaine.com has nothing to do with NBC, it is a "progressive"
(meaning it has an agenda) org run by Bill Moyers offspring.

> Thursday 04 November 2004
>
> Kerry won. Here's the facts.
>
> I know you don't want to hear it. You can't face one more hung
>chad. But I don't have a choice. As a journalist examining that messy
>sausage called American democracy, it's my job to tell you who got the
>most votes in the deciding states. Tuesday, in Ohio and New Mexico, it
>was John Kerry.
>
> Most voters in Ohio thought they were voting for Kerry. CNN's exit
>poll showed Kerry beating Bush among Ohio women by 53 percent to 47
>percent. Kerry also defeated Bush among Ohio's male voters 51 percent
>to 49 percent. Unless a third gender voted in Ohio, Kerry took the
>state.

Incorrect.
Bush won males 52-47 and females went 50-50

> So what's going on here? Answer: the exit polls are accurate.
>Pollsters ask, "Who did you vote for?" Unfortunately, they don't ask
>the crucial, question, "Was your vote counted?" The voters don't know.

They DID ask 'Do you think votes will be counted accurately', the
answer in Ohio was 89% were Very or Somewhat Confident.

> Here's why. Although the exit polls show that most voters in Ohio
>punched cards for Kerry-Edwards, thousands of these votes were simply
>not recorded. This was predictable and it was predicted. [See
>TomPaine.com, "An Election Spoiled Rotten," November 1.]

A third false assertion: see above.

> Once again, at the heart of the Ohio uncounted vote game are, I'm
>sorry to report, hanging chads and pregnant chads, plus some other
>ballot tricks old and new.
>
> The election in Ohio was not decided by the voters but by
>something called "spoilage." Typically in the United States, about 3
>percent of the vote is voided, just thrown away, not recorded. When
>the bobble-head boobs on the tube tell you Ohio or any state was won
>by 51 percent to 49 percent, don't you believe it ... it has never
>happened in the United States, because the total never reaches a neat
>100 percent. The television totals simply subtract out the spoiled
>vote.

A "spoiled" vote is not a vote at all, hence the 100% basis is
accurate.

> And not all vote spoil equally. Most of those votes, say every
>official report, come from African American and minority precincts.
>(To learn more, click here.)
>
> We saw this in Florida in 2000. Exit polls showed Gore with a
>plurality of at least 50,000, but it didn't match the official count.

a) Exit polls are not the vote
b) US exit polls do not have enough respondants or conducted in such a
way as to verify the actual vote
c) Polls may have shown Gore ahead AT SOME POINT, but at the end, they
were as about as close as the actual vote.

>That's because the official, Secretary of State Katherine Harris,
>excluded 179,855 spoiled votes. In Florida, as in Ohio, most of these
>votes lost were cast on punch cards where the hole wasn't punched
>through completely-leaving a 'hanging chad,'-or was punched extra
>times. Whose cards were discarded? Expert statisticians investigating
>spoilage for the government calculated that 54 percent of the ballots
>thrown in the dumpster were cast by black folks. (To read the report
>from the U.S. Civil Rights Commission, click here.)

The link on TP (apt abbreviation) does NOT point to the report on the
2000 election which was released June 2001, but a DIFFERENT report on
the overall status of US voting mechanisms from April 2004.

The "expert statisticians" cited were NOT part of the official
invetigation. The actual report said that while there were instances
of voting irregularities, " it is impossible to determine the extent
of the disenfranchisement or to provide an adequate remedy" (Ch 9,
FINDINGS).

However, what does Florida 2000 have to do with Ohio 2004???

> And here's the key: Florida is terribly typical. The majority of
>ballots thrown out (there will be nearly 2 million tossed out from
>Tuesday's election) will have been cast by African American and other
>minority citizens.
>
> So here we go again. Or, here we don't go again. Because unlike
>last time, Democrats aren't even asking Ohio to count these cards with
>the not-quite-punched holes (called "undervotes" in the voting biz).

The Help America Vote Act of 2002 required states to define those
stadards a bit more concretely to avoid another Florida.

<snip>

> In the end, the challenges were not overwhelming, but they were
>there. Many apparently resulted in voters getting these funky
>"provisional" ballots-a kind of voting placebo-which may or may not be
>counted. Blackwell estimates there were 175,000; Democrats say
>250,000. Pick your number. But as challenges were aimed at minorities,

There are/were 155,000 provisionals and typically 90% are valid votes.
Kerry would have to win about 7 out of 8 to carry Ohio.

>no one doubts these are, again, overwhelmingly Democratic. Count them
>up, add in the spoiled punch cards (easy to tally with the human eye
>in a recount), and the totals begin to match the exit polls; and,
>golly, you've got yourself a new president. Remember, Bush won by
>136,483 votes in Ohio.

And Kerry won Penn by 127,000 votes. Methinks more irregularities
could be found in Philly than Ohio.

> Enchanted State's Enchanted Vote
>
> Now, on to New Mexico, where a Kerry plurality-if all votes are

Thats it????!?!?!? Where's all the good stuff about Diebold and
Halliburton?

What a joke.

Pete wrote:

> "David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote
>

> > no, but i certainly wouldn't suggest trusting a computerized method more
> > simply because it's computerized. there's no magic there. and no, a lot
> > of these companies do not know what they're doing. evoting, ecommerce or
> > otherwise. it can literally be breathtaking to see the ****ups.

> Actually, they DO seem to know what they're doing. Diebold, for instance,
> makes ATMs. A worldwide networked system, (mostly)intuitive UI, verified
> audit trail...with very few evident screwups.
>
> How can they get that so right, and voting machines so wrong?

I like you're attitude--nothing could possibly have gone wrong because
they make ATMs. <g> From the mistakes found so far, they made
the voting machines right (they did what they wanted them to do),
just not correct or honestly accurate. An interesting point so far that
-all- errors that have been found so far have been in the Republicans favour.

--

-TTFN

-Steven

Hunrobe wrote:

> >[email protected]

> wrote:

> >> 1- No one has offered anything like evidence of any vote fraud.

> >I see, for you're playing catch 22 here; there's no evidence of vote fraud
> >because nobody can verify the voting process, so without verification,
> >there's no fraud.
> >
> >And so far, there is evidence of voter fraud, try listening to more news
> >than fox for a change.

> ---snip---
>
> Instead of making nasty little remarks like the above,

What's nasty about asking you to get out and look for yourself? You won't
hear it on fox though. Here's an interesting tidbit though, did you know there
is no law that requires news stories to be accurate or correct?

> why not quote some of
> the evidence of vote fraud you claim exists?

I see that's already been furnished, but tell me, if you don't believe, or
want to believe, or even bother to check what I'm saying, why would
you want me to quote anything to you?

> While you're at it, explain how
> private companies arguing in courts to protect their work product is the same
> as the government fighting against vote verification.

I don't see what this has to do with anything we're talking about. The
government that was in power, is in power now, and is doing nothing,
and has, in fact, made sure that vote verification isn't possible by not
passing laws that would ensure some system that votes could be checked.
Does that help you? The same group that pushed for paper less voting
machines. Does that help you?

> >> They have
> >> merely said it was/is "possible". If I assert that I think it is possibleyou
> >> have bankrolled terrorists should I then have the right to review all of your
> >> financial records?

> >Only if you're in the government, the patriot act sees to that. Any more
> >dumb questions?

> ---snip---
>
> Again with the nasty comments. I guess it's easier to make nasty comments than
> to actually state your case. Contrary to what you obviously believe, no statute
> (including the so-called Patriot Act) gives the government the right to access
> your financial/personal records based on "possibilities". The standards of
> "probable cause" and "supported by oath or affirmation before a disinterested
> magistrate" still apply.

No, they don't. You haven't read the Patriot act. Let's review a couple
of items on it.

From the law offices of Richard M. Lester.

<snipped>

First, the PA blatantly disregards the traditional constitutional and statutory
safeguards by lowering the standards for obtaining search and surveillance
orders. Instead of applying for a search warrant or request Title III wiretap,
the government makes a request to a special intelligence court pursuant to
the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). Federal agents do not
need to demonstrate that intelligence gathering is the primary purpose to
obtain such a warrant, only that it is a significant purpose.

Second, the PA vastly expands the FBI's authority to demand the
production of business records without court approval and to
initiate national security investigations using an administrative subpoena
known as a National Security Letter.

Third, the PA authorizes, under certain circumstances, searches of
homes and seizures of property without the usual immediate notification
to the property owner. These searches are know as "sneak and peaks,"
and usually occur when the property owner is not on the premises.
In fact, federal officials are not required to ever let a person know they
were the subjects of such a "sneak and peak" investigation.

Fourth, the PA creates an expanded classification of "domestic
terrorism" which outlaws activities intended to influence the
policy of government by intimidation or coercion. Even though this
sounds like a reasonable preventive device, activities such as
protests used by groups to express their dissatisfaction with
government polices could easily be labelled as acts of domestic
terrorism.

Fifth, the PA expanded pen register trap and trace authority used
to trace incoming and outgoing telephone calls to cover
Internet communications email and Web browsing.

<snipped>

So, using the PA, it's clear that they can investigate you without
"probable cause" and also without anything "supported by oath or
affirmation before a disinterested magistrate."

> >> 2- You have not offered any example/proof/instance of any *governmental*
> >> resistance to a review of the software used to tabulate votes. Do you think

> you
> >> are being governed by the private companies that produced those machines?

> >Think? A private corporation can collect our votes, tabulate them, and
> >give the results without a shred of proof, and without any possibility of
> >verification.. What do you call it?

> Since this simply does not occur, I'm not sure why you ask. Private companies
> did indeed build the voting machines. They then sold them to various
> governmental agencies- election commissions, voter registration offices,
> Secretary of State offices, etc. Those agencies then collected our votes,
> tabulated them, and certified the results. If you think that means the private
> companies that built the machines are governing us then you must also believe
> that because my bike is equipped with Campy components that the Campagnolo
> company is also pedaling for me.
>
> >> 3- The results would be made public but the audit you want would have toremain

> >> secret to protect the companies' proprietary rights so who will audit the
> >> auditors?

> >I assert that their proprietary rights shouldn't exist on simple counting

> software
> >for public elections. If the process can't be audited and verified, it

> shouldn't
> >be used.

> ---snip---
>
> I agree with you that the voting process must be audited and verifiable.

And it wasn't, and isn't.

> Where
> we differ is in the balancing of property rights. I believe that the lawsuits
> you refer to were brought by private individuals/entities demanding that *they*
> be given access to the software, software that was written to specifications
> designed by our elected representatives. Oversight is generally a good thing
> but at what point do we say, "enough already."? When you personally have access
> to the software? When I do? When we *all* do? Oversight at that level would so
> bog down the system as to render it useless. That's why we elect
> representatives.

That's really reaching, and a pretty silly argument. To force a recount, you
have to pay for it. You got that kind of money? Oh wait, no paper, no
recount. Gee, isn't that wonderful for the winners.... And, since, as you say,
those machines where sold and maintained by the government, why can't
the public be assured that the code is properly written? As you say,
the government owns them, which means we, the people, right? Why
can't the DNC, or Kerry, or his representative(s) have an independent
audit of the code?

Without any possible way to verify how a vote was cast, how can you
say "we elect representatives"?

> >Here's a question for you. Florida law specifies a recount in close
> >elections.
> >How do you do that with paperless ballots? Yoiu don't see a conflict there?

> You use electronic records of course. Let's get real for a moment. I rely on
> electronic records to track my banking transactions and my credit/ATM card use.
> So do you.

Stop right there. No, I don't. I have a PAPER RECEIPT for every transaction
I make. I check and balance my check book from PAPER RECEIPTS. I have
caught 4 errors that the bank has made so far.

> Since those activities have a much more immediate and personal
> effect on us than say the election of a township road commissioner or a U.S.
> President by your argument we should be able to view the software our bank,
> credit card companies, and every merchant we ever do business with use to
> record transactions.

Nope, by my arguments, there should be a paper trail that can be audited.
Failing that, that source code should be an open book to be checked and
rechecked. There should be no outside access to those machines, no
modem lines to the computers.

My zealous keeping of paper records has saved me money when showing
errors to the bank, who will admit nothing is wrong because their computer
shows it's not in error. Surprise, my paper receipts have shown they have
made a mistake 4 times so far.

> We don't do that though because we have governmental
> agencies that oversee banking and credit. Where's the difference between the
> two?

Funny, none of those agencies were of any help resolving the banks
errors on my accounts. Nor, I suspect, would they have been willing
to assist me. So, I guess, they are not any different than the people
running the paper less voting machines....

--

-TTFN

-Steven

Mark Hickey wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Here's a question for you. Florida law specifies a recount in close elections.
> >How do you do that with paperless ballots? Yoiu don't see a conflict there?

> There's no conflict because there is no ambiguity.

Ambiguity? The law specifics close, not ambiguity. Of course there's
a conflict, there can't possibly be a recount without paper ballots.

> There are no
> hanging / dimpled / perforated / double-punched chads. No human
> judgement involved - simply a machine summarizing input from a number
> of human operators.

Yeah, but whose input? The voters, or the code writers, or the hacker
that gets into the system?

--

-TTFN

-Steven

wrote in part:

>> Where
>> we differ is in the balancing of property rights. I believe that the

>lawsuits
>> you refer to were brought by private individuals/entities demanding that

>*they*
>> be given access to the software, software that was written to

>specifications
>> designed by our elected representatives. Oversight is generally a good

>thing
>> but at what point do we say, "enough already."? When you personally have

>access
>> to the software? When I do? When we *all* do? Oversight at that level would

>so
>> bog down the system as to render it useless. That's why we elect
>> representatives.

>That's really reaching, and a pretty silly argument. To force a recount, you
>have to pay for it. You got that kind of money? Oh wait, no paper, no
>recount. Gee, isn't that wonderful for the winners.... And, since, as you
>say,
>those machines where sold and maintained by the government, why can't
>the public be assured that the code is properly written? As you say,
>the government owns them, which means we, the people, right? Why
>can't the DNC, or Kerry, or his representative(s) have an independent
>audit of the code?

I agree that's reaching and a pretty silly argument. Of course, it is *your*
argument but you apparently don't quite seem to understand that.

>Without any possible way to verify how a vote was cast, how can you
>say "we elect representatives"?
>

>> >Here's a question for you. Florida law specifies a recount in close
>> >elections.
>> >How do you do that with paperless ballots? Yoiu don't see a conflict

>there?
>>
>> You use electronic records of course. Let's get real for a moment. I rely

>on
>> electronic records to track my banking transactions and my credit/ATM card

>use.
>> So do you.

>Stop right there. No, I don't. I have a PAPER RECEIPT for every transaction
>I make. I check and balance my check book from PAPER RECEIPTS. I have
>caught 4 errors that the bank has made so far.

I see. Your bank uses a handwritten ledger for each individual account and you
spend an afternoon at your bank poring over those ledgers for your accounts.
No? Your "PAPER RECEIPTS" are electronically printed?

>> Since those activities have a much more immediate and personal
>> effect on us than say the election of a township road commissioner or a

>U.S.
>> President by your argument we should be able to view the software our bank,
>> credit card companies, and every merchant we ever do business with use to
>> record transactions.

>Nope, by my arguments, there should be a paper trail that can be audited.

Once again, by who? A partisan political entity like the RNC or DNC? You? Me?
Computer hackers that can then use the insights gained to do the very thing you
are apparently convinced has already occurred?

>Failing that, that source code should be an open book to be checked and
>rechecked. There should be no outside access to those machines, no
>modem lines to the computers.
>
>My zealous keeping of paper records has saved me money when showing
>errors to the bank, who will admit nothing is wrong because their computer
>shows it's not in error. Surprise, my paper receipts have shown they have
>made a mistake 4 times so far.

Ah yes, your afternoons poring over those handwritten ledgers at your bank have
paid off.

>> We don't do that though because we have governmental
>> agencies that oversee banking and credit. Where's the difference between

>the
>> two?

>Funny, none of those agencies were of any help resolving the banks
>errors on my accounts. Nor, I suspect, would they have been willing
>to assist me. So, I guess, they are not any different than the people
>running the paper less voting machines....

I won't respond to any more of your posts in this thread. I learned long ago
that it's a waste of time to point out the logical fallacies of 'true
believers' and it's clear that you are among them.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

[email protected] wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> >Here's a question for you. Florida law specifies a recount in close elections.
>> >How do you do that with paperless ballots? Yoiu don't see a conflict there?

>> There's no conflict because there is no ambiguity.

>Ambiguity? The law specifics close, not ambiguity. Of course there's
>a conflict, there can't possibly be a recount without paper ballots.
>

>> There are no
>> hanging / dimpled / perforated / double-punched chads. No human
>> judgement involved - simply a machine summarizing input from a number
>> of human operators.

>Yeah, but whose input? The voters, or the code writers, or the hacker
>that gets into the system?

OK then, let's go back to paper ballots and continue to throw out 2%
of the votes. And that'll also let us argue ad infinitum over what
the voter actually meant when they made those marks / dimples /
impressions on the paper ballot. "Progress"...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Hunrobe <[email protected]> wrote:
> I agree with you that the voting process must be audited and verifiable. Where
> we differ is in the balancing of property rights. I believe that the lawsuits
> you refer to were brought by private individuals/entities demanding that *they*
> be given access to the software, software that was written to specifications
> designed by our elected representatives. Oversight is generally a good thing
> but at what point do we say, "enough already."? When you personally have access
> to the software? When I do? When we *all* do? Oversight at that level would so
> bog down the system as to render it useless. That's why we elect
> representatives.

actually as an aside it is very common for software written for government
contracts be put in the public trust. in this case where this software
is sooooo integral to the democratic process i think all the mechanisms
should be as transparent as possible. i don't believe we have the right
to force a company to divulge their source code unvoluntarily ... but we
sure have the right to start over again with open access a prereq.

let me ask this a different way: what advantage do you see to the software
not being divulged?

>>Here's a question for you. Florida law specifies a recount in close
>>elections.
>>How do you do that with paperless ballots? Yoiu don't see a conflict there?

> You use electronic records of course. Let's get real for a moment. I rely on
> electronic records to track my banking transactions and my credit/ATM card use.
> So do you. Since those activities have a much more immediate and personal
> effect on us than say the election of a township road commissioner or a U.S.
> President by your argument we should be able to view the software our bank,
> credit card companies, and every merchant we ever do business with use to
> record transactions. We don't do that though because we have governmental
> agencies that oversee banking and credit. Where's the difference between the
> two?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?J353212C9

"All this brings up a basic question: Why is it so hard to run an election?

A fundamental requirement for a democratic election is a secret ballot, and
that's the first reason. Computers regularly handle multimillion-dollar
financial transactions, but much of their security comes from the ability
to audit the transactions after the fact and correct problems that arise.
Much of what they do can be done the next day if the system is down. Neither
of these solutions works for elections."

sooo, one of the fundamental difference between banking and free elections is
the necessary lack of a true audit trail (necessitated by secret ballots).
that is what it makes voting so hard to do. my banking transaction has an
id and we can go back and trace down what happened. if i *feel* my vote is
lost or missed, there's nothing i can do. it *must* be done at the polling
station & imho the best way to do that is to have a independently verifiable
paper audit that can be checked when you vote .. since after that it's too
late.

& that's why all this talk of how great they are at atms is pretty much moot.
the systems are vastly different with different problems.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

wrote:

>actually as an aside it is very common for software written for government
>contracts be put in the public trust. in this case where this software
>is sooooo integral to the democratic process i think all the mechanisms
>should be as transparent as possible. i don't believe we have the right
>to force a company to divulge their source code unvoluntarily ... but we
>sure have the right to start over again with open access a prereq.
>
>let me ask this a different way: what advantage do you see to the software
>not being divulged?

I don't have anything against the software being divulged. I think perhaps I
didn't make it clear because you've obviously misunderstood my point. The OP
was at least implying that the software in question *must* be jiggered in some
way because otherwise why are the proprietors of that software fighting in
court to keep it proprietary? I pointed out that their reluctance to subject
their software to unfettered and detailed public inspection is simply a
business decision. Why give away your work product to possible competitors? I'd
be in favor of contract specs that require open access but to add that
requirement after the contract is signed and the product delivered is
unreasonable because it denies the company any chance they may have had to
protect trade secrets.

>>>Here's a question for you. Florida law specifies a recount in close
>>>elections.
>>>How do you do that with paperless ballots? Yoiu don't see a conflict

>there?
>>
>> You use electronic records of course. Let's get real for a moment. I rely

>on
>> electronic records to track my banking transactions and my credit/ATM card

>use.
>> So do you. Since those activities have a much more immediate and personal
>> effect on us than say the election of a township road commissioner or a

>U.S.
>> President by your argument we should be able to view the software our bank,
>> credit card companies, and every merchant we ever do business with use to
>> record transactions. We don't do that though because we have governmental
>> agencies that oversee banking and credit. Where's the difference between

>the
>> two?

>http://makeashorterlink.com/?J353212C9
>
>"All this brings up a basic question: Why is it so hard to run an election?
>
>A fundamental requirement for a democratic election is a secret ballot, and
>that's the first reason. Computers regularly handle multimillion-dollar
>financial transactions, but much of their security comes from the ability
>to audit the transactions after the fact and correct problems that arise.
>Much of what they do can be done the next day if the system is down. Neither
>of these solutions works for elections."
>
>sooo, one of the fundamental difference between banking and free elections is
>the necessary lack of a true audit trail (necessitated by secret ballots).
>that is what it makes voting so hard to do. my banking transaction has an
>id and we can go back and trace down what happened. if i *feel* my vote is
>lost or missed, there's nothing i can do. it *must* be done at the polling
>station & imho the best way to do that is to have a independently verifiable
>paper audit that can be checked when you vote .. since after that it's too
>late.
>
>& that's why all this talk of how great they are at atms is pretty much moot.
>the systems are vastly different with different problems.

I'm afraid you and I aren't doing too well communication-wise, David. <g> If
you reread what I wrote you'll see that I wasn't making any claims of
infallible accuracy of ATMs. Rather, I was pointing out that no sane person
seriously expects the banks, credit card companies, and merchants we do
business with to honor a demand/request to review the software they use to
record our transactions and I asked what the difference between two such
requests are. I hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

Regards,
Bob Hunt