NBC Whoops. Mind those travel restrictions.

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by John Riley, Feb 28, 2003.

  1. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    Tags:

  2. Jackal

    Jackal Guest

  3. I'm interested in Cuba, too.

    What was the situation about not being able to leave ?

    Obviously I've missed something

    Coop

  4. Washington takes a dim view of any American citizen travelling to Cuba for vacations. If you try it,
    you may fine yourself in deep doggie doo and be jailed/fined. America maintains a list of countries
    "off limits" to citizens. A vacation can be viewed as "Trade", as it is an American citizen
    contributing $ to blacklisted country. The case that began this thread was of a woman living in the
    USA who booked a Cycling Vacation in Cuba through a Canadian Travel group...and then she got nailed
    by Washington and fined.
    "Duncan Cooper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm interested in Cuba, too.
    >
    > What was the situation about not being able to leave ?
    >
    > Obviously I've missed something
    >
    > Coop

  5. Paul Worden

    Paul Worden Guest

    As an Aussie, I find this type of restriction from 'the land of the free' totally incomprehensible
    and abhorrent. What the fugg business is it of government where I travel provided I do not engage in
    treasonous acts when I return?

    I must check to see if we have any similar restrictions. I don't think so.

    Sheeeeees....as you say......

    Paul W

  6. "Paul Worden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As an Aussie, I find this type of restriction from 'the land of the free' totally incomprehensible
    > and abhorrent.

    It's called Miami. The city is run by cuban emigre's from the revolution and they have been the tail
    wagging the u.s. administration dog (both liberal and tory,) for nearly 30 years now. they are also
    why the govt supports a homegrown sugar industry with outrageous subsidies since the cuban sugar
    crop is verboten. the same sugar industry that has won successive environmental waivers from
    washington, nearly destroying the south florida ecosystem. for sugar.

    on the other hand, it was the governor from my state (Illinois) who led a trade group to cuba in the
    mid-90's, causing much teeth gnashing in washington. so if a governor can go, why not me?

    harry, you're hooked up with the IL ag system, what do you think?

    rich riding his V2 in wild and exotic kankakee county

  7. Skip

    Skip Guest

    "Paul Worden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As an Aussie, I find this type of restriction from 'the land of the free' totally incomprehensible
    > and abhorrent. What the fugg business is it of government where I travel provided I do
    not
    > engage in treasonous acts when I return?
    >
    > I must check to see if we have any similar restrictions. I don't think so.
    >
    > Sheeeeees....as you say......

    Sheeeeees (?) man don't have a cow. I don't agree with the Cuban embargo but, I can think of a lot
    of reasons for travel restrictions or travel advisories to countries where your home country doesn't
    maintain diplomatic relations. A young lady, whose parents live in my home town, went to Afghanistan
    with another young lady as Christian witnesses. They were arrested and put in prison for telling
    Muslim women about Christianity, a crime punishable by death. Fortunately for them there was a war,
    their guards fled, and they were rescued by U.S. soldiers. If you travel to a Muslim country with
    your wife, you better suggest that she be nice to you because she must have your permission to leave
    that Muslim country. Read Australia's travel advisories. There's lots of bad things that can happen
    and your country won't be able to bail you out.

    Skip

  8. "Remember, Mr President, we're not supporting their economy, we're burning their fields." - Kinky
    Friedman, on being reminded of the illegality of Cuban cigars by President Clinton.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/