NBG Jim Needs best route from Des Moines to Boulder

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Cycle America/N, May 28, 2003.

  1. Jim Muellner (everyone loves this guy) who is riding from Indianapolis to Chicago, Des Moines and
    Boulder is going to need routing help once he reaches Des Moines. He has been on the road since May
    2 from Washington DC. 67 year old Jim, last year's Indy to Chicago relay rider
    <http://www.bikeroute.com/SCNBGFest/ChicRecep.html>, is the inventor of the Smart Carte shopping
    cart system that passengers rent to shuttle their baggage around at airports. He is riding the
    trike, made by his company, Just Two Bikes <http://justtwobikes.com>, that folds to fit in a
    suitcase (that the bike also carries!). If you want to contact him, you can reach him on his Pocket
    Mailer, a handheld device donated by NBG sponsor Pocket Mail <http://pocketmail.com> that sends and
    receives email, at <[email protected]>.

    If you want to see where Fred and our other NBG relay riders have been as they move forward in the
    National Mayors' Ride at <http://www.bikeroute.com/NationalMayorsRide>, point to their blog at
    <http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/Events/Mayors_Ride/reports.php>. All of this excitement will
    al be consummated at the second annual Santa Cruz NBG Bike Fest
    <http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/Events/Festival>. Here is what Jim asked earlier today:

    Hi Martin: Need some help on the route through Nebraska and to Boulder. Are there any other people
    that I can contact who can recommend a reasonable route?

    Am having a fabulous time and learning so much about the country. It seems each city I ride through
    there are so many kids and adults that have no idea of the joys they are missing. I am saddened by
    the frequent groups of them clustered in a smoke filled bar on a sunny day. I am forced to stop at
    many of these as they are often the only place in town that is open.

    MARTIN KRIEG: "Awake Again" Author c/o BikeRoute.com 79 & 86 TransAms, nonprofit Nat. Bicycle
    Greenway CEO Ever wanted anything so bad U were willing to die for it? Really die? By moving thru
    clinical death and reversing paralysis, *I saw God* when I answered that question.

    Tags:

  2. Hey Martin. Care to participate in the news group, or is it only here for your abuse?

    If it weren't for your arrogance and total lack of respect for anyone else in this community, I
    would help.

    But all I can say is: Get a state highway map and figure it out yourself, ... jerk!

    After all, you recently told us that you are the most experienced cycle tourist here.

    Why do you even need our help?

    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Tolerance is recognizing that other people
    have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on that knowledge.

  3. (

    If only I were doing this for me. I'm trying to help Jim who is stuck out there in the middle
    of cars and trucks and buses on unfamiliar roads. It's not about helping me, it's about helping
    a brother.

    Is not the essence (in its purest form, the purpose) of this newsgroup empowering the efforts of
    those who are **actually riding their bike** or would you rather that we just talk about it??

    I say walk your talk Chuck. As per your .sig:

    Tolerance is recognizing that other people have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is
    acting on that knowledge.

    please be tolerant of those who are actually living the words of this newsgroup.....

    btw: Why don't U go out and ride instead of wasting time on this? The delete key will get you out on
    your bike a lot quicker than harassing our riders and myself. No one really needs these kinds of
    pejoratives.....

    In article <[email protected]>, Chuck Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hey Martin. Care to participate in the news group, or is it only here for your abuse?
    >
    > If it weren't for your arrogance and total lack of respect for anyone else in this community, I
    > would help.
    >
    > But all I can say is: Get a state highway map and figure it out yourself, ... jerk!
    >
    > After all, you recently told us that you are the most experienced cycle tourist here.
    >
    > Why do you even need our help?

    > Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Tolerance is recognizing that other
    > people have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on that knowledge.

  4. > If only I were doing this for me.

    Yeah, right. Then why all the self promotion and affiliate ads - even in your news posts. They are
    no more than SPAM. Why not simply ask for route help, stop posting your damn newsletters, and leave
    it at that

    Why do you NEVER participate in the discussions here?

    Please answer that.

    > I'm trying to help Jim who is stuck out there in the middle of cars and trucks

    You make him sound like a scared little rabbit caught in the headlights, with no business being out
    there. Which I'm sure is nowhere near the truth.

    I've already contacted him in email and offered the information he needs. He seems to have a lot
    more class than you.

    > Is not the essence (in its purest form, the purpose) of this newsgroup empowering the efforts of
    > those who are **actually riding their bike** or would you rather that we just talk about it??

    In rec.bicycles.rides? What else would you have us do here, Martin? This is the Internet - and this
    group IS a "place" for talking about rides. This is a place where people can exchange information
    and discuss topics relevant to rides and touring. That's what we actually do here, Martin. But you
    obviously don't understand that, do you. All you do is post ads and ask for handouts - using the
    newsgroups as your own private newsletter depository.

    > I say walk your talk Chuck. As per your .sig:

    Yeah, you'd like me to leave this alone, wouldn't you?

    Look Martin, ... the guidelines for this news group already ARE a compromise that EVERY one else
    (including me) already lives by.

    You are the one not compromising. Try following the guidelines and stop cross-posting a newsletter
    with commercial adverts. Try to post in response to someone else's inquiries (that's contributing -
    as long as you don't charge for the advice) - or ask questions. Then, put a link to your site in
    your sig file. That's what EVERY body else does.

    > btw: Why don't U go out and ride instead of wasting time on this?

    How did you get so pompous, Martin? You reek of it.

    I have been out twice today. Rode through a great t-storm, too.

    Am I wasting time on this? I always try to clean up litter when I see it.

    > The delete key will get you out on your bike a lot quicker than harassing our riders and myself.

    The only person I am harassing is you. I have already offered to help Jim (YOUR? rider).

    > No one really needs these kinds of pejoratives.....

    A pejorative to you, and only you.

    I think you mean YOU don't like being taken to task for abusing this news group and violating it's
    charter. I'm not bothering anyone else except the people that have kill-filed you, and are now stuck
    seeing my posts that refer to yours.

    What no one wants is - your spam newsletter posted here.

    At least I got you to post something besides pointers to your affiliate ads. I call that progress.