NCN 1 Edinburgh

MSeries

Guest
My LeJOG next year is going to be themed on bridges. I will be cycling through Edinburgh en route to
the Forth Bridge and NCN1 looks interesting, I am keen on using Sustrans paths, especially in urban
areas to show my support for the organisation. Whats NCN1 like through Edinburgh ? Tarmaced ? Safe ?
Glass strewn ?

I cycle the route from the city centre out to South Queensferry every day. The route is tarmac and
in reasonable condition. Apart from a relatively short bit between Craigleith and Davidson Mains
there is no glass on the route and even then it is just the odd bottle which is easily avoided. It
is safe and you should not have any problems.

I have only limited knowledge of the route from Musselburgh to Holyrood Park.

regards

Gavin

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> My LeJOG next year is going to be themed on bridges. I will be cycling through Edinburgh en route
> to the Forth Bridge and NCN1 looks interesting,
> am keen on using Sustrans paths, especially in urban areas to show my support for the
> organisation. Whats NCN1 like through Edinburgh ? Tarmaced
?
> Safe ? Glass strewn ?

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:57:29 -0000 someone who may be "MSeries"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Whats NCN1 like through Edinburgh ?

Variable.

>Tarmaced ?

Mostly.

>Safe ?

Reasonably.

>Glass strewn ?

Not much.

Two things to remember: 1) signing, especially in the centre is not brilliant. 2) SPOKES, the local
cycle campaign, sells excellent maps. You may well ne able to buy them from their web site,
http://www.spokes.org.uk

In message <[email protected]>, MSeries <[email protected]> writes
>I am pretty comfortable with cycling in Edinburgh, I expect juncitons and traffic levels have
>changed since I was last there but I'm a confident and experienced cyclist

There's more cyclists on the road these days ;)
--
alex @ nuttyxander.com --+-- http://nuttyxander.com/ *** we taught ourselves to play the pots and
pans so that we would have something honest to dance to ***

gavin wrote:
> I cycle the route from the city centre out to South Queensferry every day. The route is tarmac and
> in reasonable condition. Apart from a relatively short bit between Craigleith and Davidson Mains
> there is no glass on the route and even then it is just the odd bottle which is easily avoided. It
> is safe and you should not have any problems.
>
> I have only limited knowledge of the route from Musselburgh to Holyrood Park.
>
> regards

Thanks for the info, I shall be entering the city from the south so I don't need the part of NCN1 to
the east of the city centre. I lived in Edinburgh about 10 years ago and I'm looking forward to
passing through again.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

David Hansen wrote:

> Two things to remember: 1) signing, especially in the centre is not brilliant. 2) SPOKES, the
> local cycle campaign, sells excellent maps. You may well ne able to buy them from their web site,
> http://www.spokes.org.uk

Cheers, I have transposed the route from the Sustrans site to my A-Z map booklet of the City. I have
found that getting off these paths at the right place is hit and miss without local knowledge. I may
decide to use the streets if time is pressing. I am pretty comfortable with cycling in Edinburgh, I

David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Two things to remember: 1) signing, especially in the centre is not brilliant.

I have been highly impressed with the Innocent's Railway approach into town (and the tunnel ).
However, I do think that the route virtually disappears in the housing estate at the top. I must
check with the Spokes map, but I think the route on to the Meadows was signposted through a
pedestrian barrier at the side of the road. Seemed a bit disappointing if this was NCN1. (tho' I
might be wrong).

Regards, Tim

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:45:14 -0000 someone who may be "MSeries"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Cheers, I have transposed the route from the Sustrans site to my A-Z map booklet of the City. I
>have found that getting off these paths at the right place is hit and miss without local knowledge.

Access points are marked on SPOKES' maps, along with much other useful information.
http://www.spokes.org.uk/ordermap.htm

On 15 Dec 2003 11:59:33 -0800 someone who may be
[email protected] (Tim Henderson) wrote this:-

>I have been highly impressed with the Innocent's Railway approach into town (and the tunnel ).
>However, I do think that the route virtually disappears in the housing estate at the top.

I would leave out "virtually".

>I must check with the Spokes map, but I think the route on to the Meadows was signposted through a
>pedestrian barrier at the side of the road.

To some extent it doesn't matter. There are plenty of alternatives and religiously sticking to a
route isn't necessarily the best way to do things. If one wants to go to the Meadows then one
needs to turn left at some point. It is also possible to continue straight on (along the pavement
which is also marked as a cycle "facility") until the entrance of the old goods yard and then turn
left or right.

David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 15 Dec 2003 11:59:33 -0800 someone who may be [email protected] (Tim Henderson)
> wrote this:-
>
> >I must check with the Spokes map, but I think the route on to the Meadows was signposted through
> >a pedestrian barrier at the side of the road.
>
> To some extent it doesn't matter. There are plenty of alternatives and religiously sticking to a
> route isn't necessarily the best way to do things. If one wants to go to the Meadows then one
> needs to turn left at some point. It is also possible to continue straight on (along the pavement
> which is also marked as a cycle "facility") until the entrance of the old goods yard and then turn
> left or right.

I would argue that it does matter if you are following the route to connect up with the Forth Canal
ride to the Falkirk wheel, you are not familiar with Edinburgh and you don't have an Edinburgh
street map. Faffing around for an extra half hour can detract from the enjoyment ! It also makes NCN
look sloppy .

Tim