NCN Design Criteria

In news:[email protected],
Danny Colyer <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:
> On 31/07/2007 11:26, Marcus Red wrote:
>> I did the bottom bit from Govilon up to where it stops on the old
>> railway track - all tarmacked, but 2 mini cattle-grids might make it
>> tricky to get a recumbent through.

> Why?
>
> I'm not trying to be confrontational, it's just that I've never had a
> problem riding a recumbent over a cattle grid.

Trike may be got entertainly sideways if you hit one at the wrong angle,
especially in the wet. Otherwise it's just the vibrations that make ones
front light suddenly start pointing vertically downwards...

--
Dave Larrington
Better hide the pork scratchings...

"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Graham Harrison wrote:
> > I've just ridden a very short section of NCN 50 from Cookham to
> > Maidenhead for the first time. In many ways, it's brilliant;
> > totally off road, lovely day etc.
> >
> > However, the "road" surface leaves much to be desired (IMHO).

> What do you expect from an 'off-road' route?

Sustrans and many councils call them 'traffic-free' rather than
'off-road' which is also stupid: cycles are traffic (although not
to some in Sustrans and many councils).

How about 'car-free'?

Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.

Graham Harrison <[email protected]> wrote:
> But, as far as I know, there is nothing in the NCN that is inherently "off
> road". Surely, the whole point of an NCN is to provide an alternative to
> the NRN (National Road Network) (and yes, I know that some of the NCN is on
> road). So, should I always assume NCN is off road? That seems wrong.

I think you'll find most of the NCN is on-road.

After suggestions made at the North Somerset Cycle Forum, the new 2007 cycle
route maps show unsealed routes with dashed lines, sealed ones with solid
lines and MTB-popular bridleways with circles. I expect that the Bristol,
Bath/NE Somerset and South Gloucs ones do the same, but I've not seen them
yet. Next year, they may put unsealed instead of unsurfaced in the key...

Maybe others can get their councils to use similar markings?