NCN Route 7 : Whiteinch / Meadowside, Glasgow

Hugh Spicer

Guest
Does anyone know what's going on with a 2k/3km section of NCN Route 7 in the
Whiteinch / Meadowside area of Glasgow ? The section which runs past the
site of the old Meadowside Granary is closed off and I noticed - this
evening - there's bulldozers levelling the old railway embankment which the
cycle path runs on. Meanwhile, this stretch of the route has been diverted
to the pavement section of South Street. What's going on ?

--
Hugh Spicer
___________________________________

MSN Messenger: [email protected]

check out the latest images at:
http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/1137378
___________________________________

"David Marsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> PhilO wrote in uk.rec.cycling
> about: Re: NCN Route 7 : Whiteinch / Meadowside, Glasgow
>
>> Hugh Spicer wrote:
>>> Does anyone know what's going on with a 2k/3km section of NCN Route 7 in
>>> the
>>> Whiteinch / Meadowside area of Glasgow ? The section which runs past the
>>> site of the old Meadowside Granary is closed off and I noticed - this
>>> evening - there's bulldozers levelling the old railway embankment which
>>> the
>>> cycle path runs on. Meanwhile, this stretch of the route has been
>>> diverted
>>> to the pavement section of South Street. What's going on ?

> This one seems to be doing the rounds in various places.
>
> This was always planned: that section of the railway embankment was to
> be removed to make room for part of the Glasgow Harbour development, and
> the cycleway would/should have been rerouted along the new quayside
> promenade through Glasgow Harbour.
>
> I'd be somewhat concerned if they're starting demolition before the new
> route is completed and open, however.
>
> I'd strongly advise anybody in, or cycling through, to contact their
> local Councillor (or Convener of Land Services cttee and Convener of
> Planning cttee) if indeed the new route is not yet open.
>

>> This reminded me that at the beginning of May I had meant to ask
>> Sustrans what was going on. I checked the latest news on their website
>> and when it wasn't mentioned I e-mailed them. I got a nice reply saying
>> they didn't know and would pass the request on to their Scottish
>> section. Over two weeks since then and nothing. Sigh.

> To get in touch with Sustrans _Scotland_ directly, you can email them at:
> <the name of the country> @ <sustrans' domain>

AFAIA, the section between the underpass at Beith St in Partick
and the long-gone overbridge at Smith St is being flattened as part
of this shitty "Riverside Development." This means the removal of
a number bridges (including the four-track one at the west of where
Partick West station was situated) and also the remains of Whiteinch
Riverside station. As far as I know, the section west of Smith St will
remain in place. For now.

Photos and more info here:
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2273&start=10

James H

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:28:29 +0100, J Houston wrote:

> AFAIA, the section between the underpass at Beith St in Partick and the
> long-gone overbridge at Smith St is being flattened as part of this shitty
> "Riverside Development." This means the removal of a number bridges
> (including the four-track one at the west of where Partick West station
> was situated) and also the remains of Whiteinch Riverside station. As far
> as I know, the section west of Smith St will remain in place. For now.

Why,why, why do these philistines erase the industrial heritage of Glasgow?

I was near to weeping when Clydebank simply bulldozed the remains of
John Brown's shipyard. Birthplace of the QE2 (add a list as long as your
arm of famous ships). Why? Don't they see that tourism can br