NE Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by dgregory57, Jul 13, 2005.

1. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

I am looking for information on favorite rides in NE Pennsylvania, and any other information that anyone would care to point me to that would be useful in this region.

I recently moved to the area, and find that it is difficult to find out what is really out there. I want to give anyone else moving in, or taking up cycling the opportunity to have a good centralized source for information.

I plan on providing some articles and guidance to rides and resources in the area, along with a lot of links. I will not provide a forum. Use cyclingforums.com for that (it will be one of my links). :)

I saw an article somewhere that I am trying to chase down that said that one of the first American cycling clubs was in Wilkes-Barre, so I hope to tap into some of that history as well.

I will be providing information on cycling clubs, stores, trails, good roads to ride, and anything else I can think of.

If you or someone you know is involved in cycling in the NE Pennsylvania area, let me know what would be helpful, or point me to something you know about.

I will consider posting newsletters and/or announcements for clubs or events of local interest for groups that don't have a web presence, and will obviously consider links to those who have web sites.

Tags:

2. Joebo

Joebo New Member

Hello, I'm new here. I'm sorry that I can't give you any info on cycling clubs in NE Pennsylvania, but I happen to be from SE Pennsylvania (the Norristown/Philadelphia area). I have been looking for anything cycling around here for the past few months, and I can't find anything :mad: . Maybe we could help each other out.

3. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

Well, I guess there could be a nioce club in Allentown to split the difference... :)

There are clubs listed in my area, but those with web sites don't seem to be active, and I haven't called/written to the others.

If anyone in NE PA has a cycling club without a website, let me know your schedule, and I will post the meetings/rides online.

4. dc70

dc70 New Member

Allentown/Lehigh Valley area club: Lehigh Wheelmen Association

http://www.lehighwheelmen.org/

5. CasOCR1

CasOCR1 New Member

:) Hi , I am from the Coatesville area, this may be to far to go but, the West Chester bike Club has rides that I think anybody can join. They have a website where there is more info, this is from their site...

The regular club rides are finished until the first Saturday in April, 2006. There will be "Show and Go" rides, weather permitting, on Saturday and Sunday, throughout the Winter. Most of the rides the next couple of weeks will start at 10:00 am from Aloha Bakery. After that they will probably move to 11:00 am.

table.datagrid {font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: x-small; background-color: #333333;}

6. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

i hope that you've discovered some favourite routes on your own. although it is a long time since i've cycled in the wyoming valley, on a recent vacation home, i brought my bike with me. for a picturesque ride, i would suggest route 11 south from plymouth to ... wherever. a good cardiac arrest can be had riding up carverton road to the top of mount olivet road. i am hoping that some others from the wyoming valley post their favourite routes here to give me ideas for my return visit in the autumn.

7. maryann

maryann New Member

Hi,

If you do find anything out about a cycling club in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area, hope you share. I moved back to the area a year a go and not sure how long I'll be in this area and am starting to get back into cycling and would like to join a cycling club if there is one around. Since I'm trying to get back into things, was hoping to join a club or get together with others to keep on track and improve.

Hope everyone is doing well out there :)

Maryann

8. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

well, welcome back to the wyoming valley. a friend of mine back there has taken up the road discipline recently, so my information is fresh. on saturdays (in the a.m., i believe, but i would need to confirm the time) a group of three levels rolls out from around town bikes in downtown w.b. a quick call there should get all the real information. don't know what routes the groups take, but my impression of this shop is that it will by the one i take my ride to if (when?) i move back the valley. one route they suggested (and i'm drooling to ride it in reverse when i return in autumn) is from nanticoke down to nescopeck and back up route 11 to wilkes-barre. the guys at a.t.b. mentioned the reverse route from nescopeck to nanticoke makes for better grades.

9. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

just wanted to laud the people and area of northeastern pa.! while i was on vacation, i have to say that the riding and roads of the area have recovered nicely from the summer washouts. the scenery was glorious. thanks to the folks at a.t.b. you all made for a great vacation.

10. szucchi

szucchi New Member

Try Jacobsburg state park near Easton. It's not too steep and there are plenty of trails, lots of singletrack. have fun

11. szucchi

szucchi New Member

Lancaster county has several great rides including the pumping station(camp mack) and Middle Creek wildlife reserve. Its an hour from Philly but some really good riding.....

12. ed seven

ed seven New Member

There used to be a group of riders that rode Wednesday evenings (5pm) during the summer meeting at Grottos at Harvey's Lake and doing a good part of the triathlon course.

The rte 11 course is good but on the west side of the river 18 wheel traffic could be hairy. An alternate route back, rather than south on 11 and crossing over the river coming back through Nanticoke would be to turn right and climb out of the valley to 118 and come back towards Dallas.

13. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader New Member

Try Sicklers in Exeter. They sponsor upstate velo.

Toughest hill I've ever ridden is in Plymouth called Mountain Road. Just behind the old Mountain Inn where we used to get served in high school.

14. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

not much of a fan of sickler's since it left the downtown. when i'm back in the valley, it's around town bikes for me. all the charm of the lbs. great mechanical service from rich. tom knows how to fit you up & kit you up. and they have the saturday group rides with touch of the euro flair. they don't go out on hammerfests with beginners, but the tamales will set a hard pace in the lead group. here is tom's blog where he announces the course & roll out for the coming saturday.

http://atownbikes.com/blog/

15. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

chapeau to the organisers of the flaming foliage 100k ride yesterday (11 october)! had a wonderful ride through the countryside. nice event and hope to give it a go next year.