Near miss

essendon93

New Member
Aug 20, 2004
TT to work today, all 9km of it, looking for a PB...even had my cycling top on, so I was serious :D

Anyway, prob about 800m from work, and looking good coming down Sth Circular in Gladstone Park (sortof near the Tulla airport, which is say around 19km NW of the city Tim), when a car turning right (some bloke around 50's), sees me, but still proceeds to turn. Ok he'll straighten up, and stay out of the bike lane, so I thought. To my shock he kept coming towards me, forcing me into the gutter after copping a hit from the front panel/passenger door. I'm not entirely sure how I managed to stay upright, as I had some serious wobbles happening. Felt like giving the door a nice old whack...but just settled on much cursing. He did apologize, which is something I guess. I don't know some people just shouldn't be allowed on the roads.

Bikes fine, I'm fine.

Worst of all I missed my PB as a result god dammit

ess "rubbing's racing" 93

secret k police spotted the lama doing some boulie k's this arvo:D Why no racing lamaboy??

And good to hear your safe Ess.

I got the pleasure this morning of smacking (with my hand:mad: ) this guys car door as he opend it (cos he didnt look and nearly wiped me out.) and i had do a big swerve and shout alot in order to scare the shiit out of him, so i guess he wont do it again in a long time. Then he yelled out "Sorry mate" to which i repplied "now worries" so all was good and rosey:) .

essendon93 said:
TT to work today, all 9km of it, looking for a PB...even had my cycling top on, so I was serious :D

Anyway, prob about 800m from work, and looking good coming down Sth Circular in Gladstone Park (sortof near the Tulla airport, which is say around 19km NW of the city Tim), when a car turning right (some bloke around 50's), sees me, but still proceeds to turn. Ok he'll straighten up, and stay out of the bike lane, so I thought.

Wishfull thinking. You wanted that PB so you compromised your paranoia.

I stopped wearing a watch *I'm late*I'm late* when I made the same potentially fatal mistake riding to work 2 days in a row.
Better to be late, or miss your PB, than be dead or maimed.

Jono L said:
secret k police spotted the lama doing some boulie k's this arvo:D Why no racing lamaboy??

There is plenty of racing going on.. mostly in my head and against the clock.. :)

I can also report a sighting of Denmead doing secret kms along Doncaster Rd at lunchtime today... spotted with two other unknowns (to me anyways)

cheers,
GPL

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:06:06 +1100, essendon93 wrote:

> TT to work today, all 9km of it, looking for a PB...even had my cycling
> top on, so I was serious :D

Do the dimples make it better than skin? :)

aeek said:
Wishfull thinking. You wanted that PB so you compromised your paranoia.

I stopped wearing a watch *I'm late*I'm late* when I made the same potentially fatal mistake riding to work 2 days in a row.
Better to be late, or miss your PB, than be dead or maimed.
Nah if I compromised my paranoia, I'd have been eating gravel. It's not like I didn't decrease speed when I saw him coming. The thing is, there was noone else on the road, including oncoming traffic, so he basically had a shitload of room.

essendon93 wrote:
> TT to work today, all 9km of it, looking for a PB...even had my cycling
> top on, so I was serious :D
>
> Anyway, prob about 800m from work, and looking good coming down Sth
> Circular in Gladstone Park (sortof near the Tulla airport, which is say
> around 19km NW of the city Tim), when a car turning right (some bloke
> around 50's), sees me, but still proceeds to turn. Ok he'll straighten
> up, and stay out of the bike lane, so I thought. To my shock he kept
> coming towards me, forcing me into the gutter after copping a hit from
> the front panel/passenger door. I'm not entirely sure how I managed to
> stay upright, as I had some serious wobbles happening. Felt like giving
> the door a nice old whack...but just settled on much cursing. He did
> apologize, which is something I guess. I don't know some people just
> shouldn't be allowed on the roads.
>
> Bikes fine, I'm fine.
>
> Worst of all I missed my PB as a result god dammit
>
> ess "rubbing's racing" 93

I was on Burwood Hwy FT Gully last night, some turkey in an early model
white Magna gave me a suitably wide berth, then over-corrected and
actually crashed into the kerb before taking off again. All this
occurred at around 80 k/mh. Had an SUV (Stupendously Useless & Vacuous)
full of morons screaming abuse at me on the way home, for no other
reason than that I was there in the first place. No wonder only 1% of
the population cycles out here, it's too frigging dangerous with turds
like these around.
Regards,
Ray

essendon93 said:
[...]

Geesh.... you better stay away from aero-bars then, just imagine if you had been on aero-bars! no see, what cometh your way.

glad to hear you are ok and at least he apologized, I actually almost instanteneously forget about it, when the person apologizes, just me ??

aeek said:
Wishfull thinking. You wanted that PB so you compromised your paranoia.

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

I stopped wearing a watch *I'm late*I'm late* when I made the same potentially fatal mistake riding to work 2 days in a row.
Better to be late, or miss your PB, than be dead or maimed.

I have my HR monitor on virtually every ride and my bike computer has a clock on it as well, I just don't use them. Important stats like HR, cadence; those I look at but time? Confidence trick invented by the Swiss so I'm told ;-)

ray said:
I was on Burwood Hwy FT Gully last night, some turkey in an early model
white Magna gave me a suitably wide berth, then over-corrected and
actually crashed into the kerb before taking off again. All this
occurred at around 80 k/mh. Had an SUV (Stupendously Useless & Vacuous)
full of morons screaming abuse at me on the way home, for no other
reason than that I was there in the first place. No wonder only 1% of
the population cycles out here, it's too frigging dangerous with turds
like these around.

Burwood Highway's not my favourite road however I don't think it's overly dangerous. There are plenty of lanes and sight lines are pretty good.

The attitude of bogan road users gives an elevated perception of danger and perception is what it boils down to a lot of the time. While Holden, Ford et al are allowed to push their macho marketing for their vehicles that situation's not going to change.

How come cars don't come with a governent health warning? Seems warranted to me.

EuanB said:
Burwood Highway's not my favourite road however I don't think it's overly dangerous. There are plenty of lanes and sight lines are pretty good.

The attitude of bogan road users gives an elevated perception of danger and perception is what it boils down to a lot of the time. While Holden, Ford et al are allowed to push their macho marketing for their vehicles that situation's not going to change.

How come cars don't come with a governent health warning? Seems warranted to me.

Warning: Driving an SS Holden will cause personality disorders and brain damage.
Warning: Driving a glammed up Mitsubishi Lancer will make you look like Noddy on steriods and speed.
Warning: Driving a new model jaguar will give you memory loss (you forget how to drive - the car won't do it for you).

And now I see Volvo has made an SUV for its crash test dummies and family.
:p

Jono L wrote:

> secret k police spotted the lama doing some boulie k's this arvo:D Why
> no racing lamaboy??
>
> And good to hear your safe Ess.
>
> I got the pleasure this morning of smacking (with my hand:mad: ) this
> guys car door as he opend it (cos he didnt look and nearly wiped me
> out.) and i had do a big swerve and shout alot in order to scare the
> shiit out of him, so i guess he wont do it again in a long time. Then
> he yelled out "Sorry mate" to which i repplied "now worries" so all was
> good and rosey:) .
>
> --
> Jono L

I nearly got a car door yesterday arvo on Hawthorne Rd, Bulimba (Bne).
There's a bike lane so drivers expect you to ride in it (I don't, but I
do pull in when it's clear of parked cars, and someone drives up behind
me, so they can pass). Too often drivers are happy to give me a metre
clearance or so, but not happy if I'm trying to take that much clearance
of a parked car. This time, fortunately, the driver following me sat
back and didn't try to push past, and I even had time to yell "Look
before you open!" as I hurtled past at 50km/h (yeah, it's on the flat
after a big down hill ;-) )

Tam

MikeyOz wrote:

> glad to hear you are ok and at least he apologized, I actually almost
> instanteneously forget about it, when the person apologizes, just me ??

I know what you mean but nope, not me. An apology sticks in my mind for
quite a while, being so infrequent. Usually just get blank looks. So
very, very blank. Amazed most aren't just vacantly drooling.
An apology does give me a nice high for a while, though.

warrwych said:
Warning: Driving an SS Holden will cause personality disorders and brain damage.
Warning: Driving a glammed up Mitsubishi Lancer will make you look like Noddy on steriods and speed.
Warning: Driving a new model jaguar will give you memory loss (you forget how to drive - the car won't do it for you).

And now I see Volvo has made an SUV for its crash test dummies and family.
:p

Speaking of social dysfunction, has the car show been indirectly responsible for an increase in stooopid behaviour in Melbourne? Just wondering. BTW the bikefunnist crew have organised a "Fully Sick Ride" tonight:

*****

Fri 17 Feb - Meet 8PM - Argyle Square, cnr. Lygon & Pelham St, Carlton. Contemplate Australian Automotive Week by touring some of Melbourne's more inCARcerated institutions. Bring your doof doof, flashing lights and fuzzy dice. organiser: moose & chicken.

... All rides go at social pace, run rain or shine, and are free.For submissions or to sign up for the electronic version of BikeFun – email: [email protected]. BikeFunMelbourne: Promoting cycling community in Melbourne through prolific bike fun. Please, have more bike fun.

***

This has been a non-corporate cfsmtb endorsement. :)