Near miss

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by essendon93, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    TT to work today, all 9km of it, looking for a PB...even had my cycling top on, so I was serious :D

    Anyway, prob about 800m from work, and looking good coming down Sth Circular in Gladstone Park (sortof near the Tulla airport, which is say around 19km NW of the city Tim), when a car turning right (some bloke around 50's), sees me, but still proceeds to turn. Ok he'll straighten up, and stay out of the bike lane, so I thought. To my shock he kept coming towards me, forcing me into the gutter after copping a hit from the front panel/passenger door. I'm not entirely sure how I managed to stay upright, as I had some serious wobbles happening. Felt like giving the door a nice old whack...but just settled on much cursing. He did apologize, which is something I guess. I don't know some people just shouldn't be allowed on the roads.

    Bikes fine, I'm fine.

    Worst of all I missed my PB as a result god dammit

    ess "rubbing's racing" 93

    Tags:

  2. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    shiiieetteee.. good to hear you kept the rubber down!

  3. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    secret k police spotted the lama doing some boulie k's this arvo:D Why no racing lamaboy??

    And good to hear your safe Ess.

    I got the pleasure this morning of smacking (with my hand:mad: ) this guys car door as he opend it (cos he didnt look and nearly wiped me out.) and i had do a big swerve and shout alot in order to scare the shiit out of him, so i guess he wont do it again in a long time. Then he yelled out "Sorry mate" to which i repplied "now worries" so all was good and rosey:) .

  4. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Wishfull thinking. You wanted that PB so you compromised your paranoia.

    I stopped wearing a watch *I'm late*I'm late* when I made the same potentially fatal mistake riding to work 2 days in a row.
    Better to be late, or miss your PB, than be dead or maimed.

  5. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    There is plenty of racing going on.. mostly in my head and against the clock.. :)

    I can also report a sighting of Denmead doing secret kms along Doncaster Rd at lunchtime today... spotted with two other unknowns (to me anyways)

    cheers,
    GPL

  6. On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:06:06 +1100, essendon93 wrote:

    > TT to work today, all 9km of it, looking for a PB...even had my cycling
    > top on, so I was serious :D

    Do the dimples make it better than skin? :)

  7. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    hehe...I normaly don't sweat riding to work, so wear my casual gear

  8. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Nah if I compromised my paranoia, I'd have been eating gravel. It's not like I didn't decrease speed when I saw him coming. The thing is, there was noone else on the road, including oncoming traffic, so he basically had a shitload of room.

  9. ray

    ray Guest

    essendon93 wrote:
    > TT to work today, all 9km of it, looking for a PB...even had my cycling
    > top on, so I was serious :D
    >
    > Anyway, prob about 800m from work, and looking good coming down Sth
    > Circular in Gladstone Park (sortof near the Tulla airport, which is say
    > around 19km NW of the city Tim), when a car turning right (some bloke
    > around 50's), sees me, but still proceeds to turn. Ok he'll straighten
    > up, and stay out of the bike lane, so I thought. To my shock he kept
    > coming towards me, forcing me into the gutter after copping a hit from
    > the front panel/passenger door. I'm not entirely sure how I managed to
    > stay upright, as I had some serious wobbles happening. Felt like giving
    > the door a nice old whack...but just settled on much cursing. He did
    > apologize, which is something I guess. I don't know some people just
    > shouldn't be allowed on the roads.
    >
    > Bikes fine, I'm fine.
    >
    > Worst of all I missed my PB as a result god dammit
    >
    > ess "rubbing's racing" 93

    I was on Burwood Hwy FT Gully last night, some turkey in an early model
    white Magna gave me a suitably wide berth, then over-corrected and
    actually crashed into the kerb before taking off again. All this
    occurred at around 80 k/mh. Had an SUV (Stupendously Useless & Vacuous)
    full of morons screaming abuse at me on the way home, for no other
    reason than that I was there in the first place. No wonder only 1% of
    the population cycles out here, it's too frigging dangerous with turds
    like these around.
    Regards,
    Ray

  10. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    Geesh.... you better stay away from aero-bars then, just imagine if you had been on aero-bars! no see, what cometh your way.

    glad to hear you are ok and at least he apologized, I actually almost instanteneously forget about it, when the person apologizes, just me ??

  11. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

    I have my HR monitor on virtually every ride and my bike computer has a clock on it as well, I just don't use them. Important stats like HR, cadence; those I look at but time? Confidence trick invented by the Swiss so I'm told ;-)

  12. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Burwood Highway's not my favourite road however I don't think it's overly dangerous. There are plenty of lanes and sight lines are pretty good.

    The attitude of bogan road users gives an elevated perception of danger and perception is what it boils down to a lot of the time. While Holden, Ford et al are allowed to push their macho marketing for their vehicles that situation's not going to change.

    How come cars don't come with a governent health warning? Seems warranted to me.

  13. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    Warning: Driving an SS Holden will cause personality disorders and brain damage.
    Warning: Driving a glammed up Mitsubishi Lancer will make you look like Noddy on steriods and speed.
    Warning: Driving a new model jaguar will give you memory loss (you forget how to drive - the car won't do it for you).

    And now I see Volvo has made an SUV for its crash test dummies and family.
    :p

  14. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Jono L wrote:

    > secret k police spotted the lama doing some boulie k's this arvo:D Why
    > no racing lamaboy??
    >
    > And good to hear your safe Ess.
    >
    > I got the pleasure this morning of smacking (with my hand:mad: ) this
    > guys car door as he opend it (cos he didnt look and nearly wiped me
    > out.) and i had do a big swerve and shout alot in order to scare the
    > shiit out of him, so i guess he wont do it again in a long time. Then
    > he yelled out "Sorry mate" to which i repplied "now worries" so all was
    > good and rosey:) .
    >
    > --
    > Jono L

    I nearly got a car door yesterday arvo on Hawthorne Rd, Bulimba (Bne).
    There's a bike lane so drivers expect you to ride in it (I don't, but I
    do pull in when it's clear of parked cars, and someone drives up behind
    me, so they can pass). Too often drivers are happy to give me a metre
    clearance or so, but not happy if I'm trying to take that much clearance
    of a parked car. This time, fortunately, the driver following me sat
    back and didn't try to push past, and I even had time to yell "Look
    before you open!" as I hurtled past at 50km/h (yeah, it's on the flat
    after a big down hill ;-) )

    Tam

  15. blah

    blah Guest

    MikeyOz wrote:

    > glad to hear you are ok and at least he apologized, I actually almost
    > instanteneously forget about it, when the person apologizes, just me ??

    I know what you mean but nope, not me. An apology sticks in my mind for
    quite a while, being so infrequent. Usually just get blank looks. So
    very, very blank. Amazed most aren't just vacantly drooling.
    An apology does give me a nice high for a while, though.

  16. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Speaking of social dysfunction, has the car show been indirectly responsible for an increase in stooopid behaviour in Melbourne? Just wondering. BTW the bikefunnist crew have organised a "Fully Sick Ride" tonight:

    *****

    Fri 17 Feb - Meet 8PM - Argyle Square, cnr. Lygon & Pelham St, Carlton. Contemplate Australian Automotive Week by touring some of Melbourne's more inCARcerated institutions. Bring your doof doof, flashing lights and fuzzy dice. organiser: moose & chicken.

    ... All rides go at social pace, run rain or shine, and are free.For submissions or to sign up for the electronic version of BikeFun – email: [email protected]. BikeFunMelbourne: Promoting cycling community in Melbourne through prolific bike fun. Please, have more bike fun.

    ***

    This has been a non-corporate cfsmtb endorsement. :)