Near Wipe Out

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
I was doing one of my usual routes and was going up an extremely steep hill. after this hill, there is a 4 mile long descend, the kind where you will not have to pedal at all and easily reach a max speed of close to 40 mph. I have done this decline at at lest 5-7 times and there are some twist and turns.

Today a decent breeze made a significant difference in cornering and speed. I was going way too fast and hit the break....Bad idea...Going close to 40, my bike started veering of the road and I was bracing myself for a fall. I looked at the side of the road and saw thick trees and brush, I knew if I fell,it would mean breaking something or worse. My bike position was close to a 15degree angle and a foot from the ground, somehow I used my strength and pulled the bike to a straight/upright position. When the bike straightened, I bounced on the road a few times. I would guess that the chance of me not falling couldn't be more than 10%, I was very lucky.This was all happening at 30-40 mph.I think being clipped in actually helped me to lift the bike straight again.

I finished the descent and made a turn to a straight descent where you can pick up speed very fast. I heard hissing and knew I had a flat. I fixed it and enjoyed the rest of the 20 miles. This will not in anyway stop me from riding, but it will definitely make me more cautious in descents. Part of it is due to my lack of experience, I've been riding for only 4 months. It also makes me glad that I don't wear headphones. On the second descend, I was going over 30 and my bike started veering into the road. If I had been distracted, I would have veered into traffic.

I feel totally fine and will be more cautious. Saying that, I will be back on the bike by Saturday.How often do some of you experienced riders have events like this?Do they make you question anything about how you bike?

Near misses? Almost biffed it? "Damn, THAT was close!"?

I stopped counting those right after the first serious incident that went right on by the 'almost save it!' mark. They happen far too frequently if you put in the miles/time on the bike. Cars...sand on the road in that turn that never had sand on it before...new pothole that ate your rim...buddy that turned with warning right across your bow...dog sprints into your front wheel...

Learn something from each one of them and you just might live to be my age...no guarantees given though.

I hope you keep a log of your rides and record these incidents along with the typical ride data. I believe it helps ingrain the experience. I've kept a hand written log book since I started training and racing in 1972, also since the dawn of the computer age an online log book, a log on my hard drive (backed up on CD) and do the usual STRAVA-Garmin Connect-Cateye Atlas-Map My Ride stuff. These will be the story of your life in a few decades.

CAMPYBOB said:
Near misses? Almost biffed it? "Damn, THAT was close!"?

I stopped counting those right after the first serious incident that went right on by the 'almost save it!' mark. They happen far too frequently if you put in the miles/time on the bike. Cars...sand on the road in that turn that never had sand on it before...new pothole that ate your rim...buddy that turned with warning right across your bow...dog sprints into your front wheel...

Learn something from each one of them and you just might live to be my age...no guarantees given though.

I hope you keep a log of your rides and record these incidents along with the typical ride data. I believe it helps ingrain the experience. I've kept a hand written log book since I started training and racing in 1972, also since the dawn of the computer age an online log book, a log on my hard drive (backed up on CD) and do the usual STRAVA-Garmin Connect-Cateye Atlas-Map My Ride stuff. These will be the story of your life in a few decades.
I log my training on Strava and have ride specific titles.For example "first 50 mile ride, saw a bear" or "sick today, 8 mile ride",etc...My only real injury so far in my life was getting hit by a car 5 years ago while jogging across a cross walk. Split my arm clean in half, but recovered nicely with no real problems in 3 months. When that happened, I was afraid to cross the street for like 3 weeks....Now, I just pay attention to all the small things,but know what can happen in the back of my head.I'm actually glad that happened because now i'm much more careful about scanning the road when running or cycling.

For some real fun, try cornering at about 25 mph when your front tire is slowly going flat, and you don't realize it until mid-corner.

mpre53 said:
For some real fun, try cornering at about 25 mph when your front tire is slowly going flat, and you don't realize it until mid-corner.
That does not sound like a good situation to be in.

Only time I've had something sort of similar happening is my shoelace getting trapped around the pedal. I came to a stop and, well you know those road runner cartoons where he runs off a cliff and it takes him a few seconds to start falling? That sort of happened.

Susimi said:
That does not sound like a good situation to be in.

Only time I've had something sort of similar happening is my shoelace getting trapped around the pedal. I came to a stop and, well you know those road runner cartoons where he runs off a cliff and it takes him a few seconds to start falling? That sort of happened.
You had your first clipless pedal fall before you even tried riding with clipless pedals. :)

Reactions: simond
mpre53 said:
It's not as bad a butt pucker as blowing the front tire on a fast descent, but it does get your attention. :eek:
I was going at least 30 on a straight away when I heard the tire hissing.This is my second time getting a flat and I was very familiar with the unsteadiness and hissing. If you don't pay attention, you will drift into traffic like that. Everyone thinks its "fun policing", but I cant for the life of me see why people don't think wearing headphones isn't dangerous.

Most people will have situations like this, but as you get more experience you learn how to deal with almost anything, and your reaction times improve no end, so nothing to worry about really as long as you're alright. You will also pick up ideas about how you can improve your technique to try and avoid any problems, so this is something that you should definitely think about for the future. It might be scary, but by far the best thing to do is just to get back on your bike, because your confidence will only get lower the longer you stay off it.

mpre53 said:
It's not as bad a butt pucker as blowing the front tire on a fast descent, but it does get your attention. :eek:

For some guaranteed fun try going 20 km away then break your pedal...

Try patching that! :D

mpre53 said:
You had your first clipless pedal fall before you even tried riding with clipless pedals. :)
My mum always said I could do special things! :D

The silliest thing about that fall was that my other foot was perfectly free and it didn't even register to me at the time.

Volnix said:
For some guaranteed fun try going 20 km away then break your pedal...

Try patching that! :D
Snapping your RD hanger, too. Guy did it last year right in front of me, on a group ride, standing, mashing, trying to shift. "I think I can fix that." "Uh, yeah, maybe when you get it back home, but here and now, it ain't happening. Got a cell phone, I hope?"

mpre53 said:
Snapping your RD hanger, too. Guy did it last year right in front of me, on a group ride, standing, mashing, trying to shift. "I think I can fix that." "Uh, yeah, maybe when you get it back home, but here and now, it ain't happening. Got a cell phone, I hope?"

RD hanger is easy... Rididing with fixies much? :D

Loose bolt (or stick for that matter)...

You wanna go 34*17 or are you gonna go 50*28??? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSog-u9mLKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DcqnkzGEFQ

I once on a switch back at about 25 MPH. It was a hot day and my rear tire was worn. I told myself one more ride. That was big freakin' mistake. It blew and I fishtailed into oncoming traffic. I had a choice, go over the edge about 30 feet or go head on with a Tahoe coming my way. I chose the 30 foot drop but luckily the Tahoe was paying attention and saw I was in trouble and stopped well ahead. I managed to avoid the 30 foot drop and came to a safe stop after being whacked by the pedal several times while trying to get my foot down.

It was then I knew I could not skimp on tires. If they are worn, replace them! I f yo have cheap model tires replace them!

I've found stock tires on new bikes suck! Unless it's a $3000+ high end model well equipped, replace that junk!

Tires can be expensive. I use Continental GP4000's. $75 a the local shops but I'm not stupid so I go online and get them for $40'ish. RibblecyclesUK or Probike kit dot com.,,Order a couple at least that way you are never have to pay full price in desperation. Most time I get free shipping so it really pays.

Plus I use cheap gloves cause I wipe debris from my tires. I' a 230 Clyde rider and flat far less than 160 ride partners cause I wipe after going through debris, they don't.

I use good tires cause I do this kind of descending on local mtn roads at 30-40 MPH, take no chances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6jBSRAO4qY

Mr. Beanz said:
I once on a switch back at about 25 MPH. It was a hot day and my rear tire was worn. I told myself one more ride. That was big freakin' mistake. It blew and I fishtailed into oncoming traffic. I had a choice, go over the edge about 30 feet or go head on with a Tahoe coming my way. I chose the 30 foot drop but luckily the Tahoe was paying attention and saw I was in trouble and stopped well ahead. I managed to avoid the 30 foot drop and came to a safe stop after being whacked by the pedal several times while trying to get my foot down.

It was then I knew I could not skimp on tires. If they are worn, replace them! I f yo have cheap model tires replace them!

I've found stock tires on new bikes suck! Unless it's a $3000+ high end model well equipped, replace that junk!

Tires can be expensive. I use Continental GP4000's. $75 a the local shops but I'm not stupid so I go online and get them for $40'ish. RibblecyclesUK or Probike kit dot com.,,Order a couple at least that way you are never have to pay full price in desperation. Most time I get free shipping so it really pays.

Plus I use cheap gloves cause I wipe debris from my tires. I' a 230 Clyde rider and flat far less than 160 ride partners cause I wipe after going through debris, they don't.

I use good tires cause I do this kind of descending on local mtn roads at 30-40 MPH, take no chances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6jBSRAO4qY
The tires are pretty new(100-200 miles), but so are my cycling skills,lol...It had more to do with my descend cornering skills and the breeze I am not yet use to.

New tires doesn't really mean good tires. If you dont mind, what brand and model? Stock tires is where most manufacturers cut corners.

"I use good tires cause I do this kind of descending on local mtn roads at 30-40 MPH, take no chances."

Good choice of music, Mr. B! Thunderstruck!

I'm also on Pro 4 Service course tires...for four years, I think. I rode Pro3's for a year before that and the really, really good Vredestein Fortezza TriComp's for six years before that. The Vredesreins wear well, corner well and they were, in my opinion very good as far as cuts and punctures went. For a high performance tire, they held up like a touring tire or commuting tire.

The Miche's are light, smooth, have decent grip and a great road feel. If you take care of them, they will take care of you.

Our descents (and climbs) are not nearly as long as Cali's, but I hit 40+ MPH on almost every ride and 50+ on a lot of them. Winding up unconscious at the bottom of a steep drop...like a friend did after popping a tire...is a scary thought. Ride safely, my friends and let the adrenaline flow!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz