Nearly a year since cyclist Emma Foa was killed

stigy

Guest
It's nearly a year since my friend Emma Foa was senselessly killed by
the driver of a cement mixer lorry in kings Cross, London. Wake up all
you cyclists who have been critical of other cyclists killed in road
traffic accidents. But particularly shocking in this case is that if
the driver had not broken the law by fumbling around for papers in his
cab instead of paying due care and attention to the road, Emma would
certainly not have been killed. He broke the law and thanks, in part,
to the unacceptable summing up by the Judge, he got away with it.
There is nothing "inadvertent" about an action that is unlawful when
it has resulted in someone being killed. Emma, you are badly missed
and the world is so much poorer without you in it.

Jonathan

On 13 Dec, 12:12, stigy <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's nearly a year since my friend Emma Foa was senselessly killed by
> the driver of a cement mixer lorry in kings Cross, London. Wake up all
> you cyclists who have been critical of other cyclists killed in road
> traffic accidents. But particularly shocking in this case is that if
> the driver had not broken the law by fumbling around for papers in his
> cab instead of paying due care and attention to the road, Emma would
> certainly not have been killed. He broke the law and thanks, in part,
> to the unacceptable summing up by the Judge, he got away with it.
> There is nothing "inadvertent" about an action that is unlawful when
> it has resulted in someone being killed. Emma, you are badly missed
> and the world is so much poorer without you in it.
>
> Jonathan

More on the court's attitude, sorry for length:

The majority of cycle fatalities in London involve left turning
vehicles and the majority also involve lorries: in central London the
majority of cyclist fatalities caused by left-turning lorries while in
the rest of London this collision type is 'only' about a quarter of
cyclist fatalities. In 2000 a cement lorry on London Wall overtook a
20 year female cycling westwards then turned left immediately
afterwards, crushing her to death. After the driver claimed in court
not to have seen her and was only fined £250, the girl's mother
decided to take action into her own hands after finding out how many
similar so-called accidents there had been. She bought shares in the
cement company, heckled the directors at their AGM and forced them to
fit extra safety mirrors to their lorries. Unfortunately before the
mirrors were fitted the same lorry (but a different driver) killed a
19 year old cyclist while turning left into Primrose Street from
Bishopsgate in 2001. Sadly these inexpensive mirrors which remove the
blind spot are still not compulsory.

Correction from Cynthia Barlow, the mother in question: "Incidentally,
I read further down your website and the mention of my daughter is not
strictly correct - reality is rather worse than that I'm afraid. The
driver of the lorry in my daughter's case was acquitted, not fined, so
nothing happened to him at all. The same lorry, with a different
driver, was in the following year involved in another incident in
which the cyclist, Sue Coll, was not in fact killed but suffered
catastrophic injuries. The same driver as was involved in this second
case was also involved in a third case in which another cyclist
received disabling injuries. The prosecution of the driver in the
second case involving Sue Coll was an exact repetition of my case -
same barrister, same expert witness, same tactics, same everything,
and same outcome, the driver was again acquitted. So I have carried on
campaigning, not just with RMC, but also on the subject of failings in
the criminal justice system."

I spoke to Sue Coll after her trial and was absolutely sickened by the
similarities, same lies, same strategy of arrogant defence barrister
attacking and humiliating the main prosecution witness (a van driver),
etc. The driver's defence even cited one of the initiatives that had
come about as a result of my involvement with RMC as evidence that he
was a conscientious driver, knowing that the truth would not come out
because the prosecution had already agreed not to mention either the
incident involving the same driver, so as not to prejudice the
driver's chance of a fair trial. A fair trial for the victim would be
nice. On the final day of the trial, it was obvious that the driver
was going to be acquitted so Sue's family came to court to support
her. When the driver arrived, the police ushered him into a private
back room "so that he wouldn't be upset at seeing her family".
Really.

http://www.citycyclists.org.uk/

stigy wrote:
> It's nearly a year since my friend Emma Foa was senselessly killed by
> the driver of a cement mixer lorry in kings Cross, London. Wake up all
> you cyclists who have been critical of other cyclists killed in road
> traffic accidents.

Please don't be offensive to those who give constructive criticism to
cyclists who could do more to avoid the dangers of lorries. Whether or not
it would have helped your friend, it may help someone else.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> stigy wrote:
>> It's nearly a year since my friend Emma Foa was senselessly killed by
>> the driver of a cement mixer lorry in kings Cross, London. Wake up all
>> you cyclists who have been critical of other cyclists killed in road
>> traffic accidents.

> Please don't be offensive to those who give constructive criticism to
> cyclists who could do more to avoid the dangers of lorries. Whether or not
> it would have helped your friend, it may help someone else.
>
> ~PB

I gather another cyclist was killed by a Tesco lorry in Brixton last week.
In Cambridge we've had a student pedestrian killed by a Tesco lorry that
'got lost' and made an unsuitable left turn. I belive the ped was on the
pavement and squashed against the wall.
Today at c 08:30 a similarly lost Tesco artic was attempting to turn
round having entered King's Parade which is an 'access only' cul-de-sac.
There are NO Tescos in Cambridge City Centre (yet) only on the outskirts.

Jim Chisholm

On 13 Dec, 14:25, "J. Chisholm" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
> > stigy wrote:
> >> It's nearly a year since my friend Emma Foa was senselessly killed by
> >> the driver of a cement mixer lorry in kings Cross, London. Wake up all
> >> you cyclists who have been critical of other cyclists killed in road
> >> traffic accidents.

> > Please don't be offensive to those who give constructive criticism to
> > cyclists who could do more to avoid the dangers of lorries. Whether or not
> > it would have helped your friend, it may help someone else.

> > ~PB

> I gather another cyclist was killed by a Tesco lorry in Brixton last week.
> In Cambridge we've had a student pedestrian killed by a Tesco lorry that
> 'got lost' and made an unsuitable left turn. I belive the ped was on the
> pavement and squashed against the wall.
> Today at c 08:30 a similarly lost Tesco artic was attempting to turn
> round having entered King's Parade which is an 'access only' cul-de-sac.
> There are NO Tescos in Cambridge City Centre (yet) only on the outskirts.
>
> Jim Chisholm

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/...var.1888889.0.cyclist_dies_in_lorry_crash.php

A female cyclist has died after a crash involving a Tesco lorry in
Streatham Hill.

Police are appealing for information about the crash that occurred at
the junction of Brixton Hill and the A205 Christchurch Road about
7.35pm last night.

Officers say the Tesco articulated lorry was turning at the junction
when it collided with the 41-year-old cyclist.

The cyclist died as a result of her injuries.

A Tesco spokeswoman said: "Tesco is carrying out its own investigation
into this tragedy, as are the police, so it would be wrong for us to
comment further. "However, we would like to extend our sympathies to
everyone involved and our condolences to the family of the woman who
died." Anyone with information should phone 020 8941 9011.

Anyone heard about a fatality Holloway Road today?

J. Chisholm wrote:

> I gather another cyclist was killed by a Tesco lorry in Brixton last
> week. In Cambridge we've had a student pedestrian killed by a Tesco
> lorry that 'got lost' and made an unsuitable left turn. I belive the
> ped was on the pavement and squashed against the wall. Today at c
> 08:30 a similarly lost Tesco artic was attempting to turn round
> having entered King's Parade which is an 'access only' cul-de-sac.
> There are NO Tescos in Cambridge City Centre (yet) only on the
> outskirts.

GPS software has a lot to answer for.

--
Mike
Van Tuyl titanium Dura ace 10

On Dec 13, 12:57 pm, "Pete Biggs"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> stigy wrote:
> > It's nearly a year since my friendEmmaFoawas senselessly killed by
> > the driver of a cement mixer lorry in kings Cross, London. Wake up all
> > you cyclists who have been critical of other cyclists killed in road
> > traffic accidents.

> Please don't be offensive to those who give constructive criticism to
> cyclists who could do more to avoid the dangers of lorries. Whether or not
> it would have helped your friend, it may help someone else.
>
> ~PB

With so many lorry drivers not paying due care and attention, I'm a
cyclist myself and I see it all the time, any finger pointing needs to
be appropriately directed to the people who are actually breaking the
law and getting away with it. Just to be clear, that'd be the lorry
drivers, not the (in the vast majority of cases) the cyclists.

Therefore, you seem to miss the point my friend, comments on how to be
safe are never wasted, but "constructive criticism" aimed at someone
who is already dead because of the reckless actions of someone else
are in no way useful.

jon

stigy wrote:
> On Dec 13, 12:57 pm, "Pete Biggs"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> stigy wrote:
>>> It's nearly a year since my friendEmmaFoawas senselessly killed by
>>> the driver of a cement mixer lorry in kings Cross, London. Wake up
>>> all you cyclists who have been critical of other cyclists killed in
>>> road traffic accidents.

>> Please don't be offensive to those who give constructive criticism to
>> cyclists who could do more to avoid the dangers of lorries. Whether
>> or not it would have helped your friend, it may help someone else.

> With so many lorry drivers not paying due care and attention, I'm a
> cyclist myself and I see it all the time, any finger pointing needs to
> be appropriately directed to the people who are actually breaking the
> law and getting away with it. Just to be clear, that'd be the lorry
> drivers, not the (in the vast majority of cases) the cyclists.
>
> Therefore, you seem to miss the point my friend, comments on how to be
> safe are never wasted, but "constructive criticism" aimed at someone
> who is already dead because of the reckless actions of someone else
> are in no way useful.

The constructive criticism I refer to is not aimed at victims but at
potential victims. (Some posters may not make that clear or may actually
criticise the dead. That is not what I'm taking about).

This does not stop anyone calling for improvements to be made to driving and
vehicles at the same time. I wish you well in your campaign.

> comments on how to be safe are never wasted

Good, and that's what I'm talking about.

~PB

stigy wrote:
> On Dec 13, 12:57 pm, "Pete Biggs"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> stigy wrote:
>>> It's nearly a year since my friendEmmaFoawas senselessly killed by
>>> the driver of a cement mixer lorry in kings Cross, London. Wake up
>>> all you cyclists who have been critical of other cyclists killed in
>>> road traffic accidents.

>> Please don't be offensive to those who give constructive criticism to
>> cyclists who could do more to avoid the dangers of lorries. Whether
>> or not it would have helped your friend, it may help someone else.
>>
>> ~PB

> With so many lorry drivers not paying due care and attention, I'm a
> cyclist myself and I see it all the time, any finger pointing needs to
> be appropriately directed to the people who are actually breaking the
> law and getting away with it. Just to be clear, that'd be the lorry
> drivers, not the (in the vast majority of cases) the cyclists.
>
> Therefore, you seem to miss the point my friend, comments on how to be
> safe are never wasted, but "constructive criticism" aimed at someone
> who is already dead because of the reckless actions of someone else
> are in no way useful.

ps. I don't miss your point. I think you miss the point of the "critical"
comments. I think the majority of them are posted for the benefit of living
cyclists who may become victims. After all, they know dead people won't be
reading them. I don't remember anyone sugesting that lorry drivers and
companies shouldn't take more care as well.

~PB

On 14 Dec, 10:38, "Pete Biggs"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> stigy wrote:
> > On Dec 13, 12:57 pm, "Pete Biggs"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Please don't be offensive to those who give constructive criticism to
> >> cyclists who could do more to avoid the dangers of lorries. Whether
> >> or not it would have helped your friend, it may help someone else.

> > With so many lorry drivers not paying due care and attention, I'm a
> > cyclist myself and I see it all the time, any finger pointing needs to
> > be appropriately directed to the people who are actually breaking the
> > law and getting away with it. Just to be clear, that'd be the lorry
> > drivers, not the (in the vast majority of cases) the cyclists.

> > Therefore, you seem to miss the point my friend, comments on how to be
> > safe are never wasted, but "constructive criticism" aimed at someone
> > who is already dead because of the reckless actions of someone else
> > are in no way useful.

> The constructive criticism I refer to is not aimed at victims but at
> potential victims. (Some posters may not make that clear or may actually
> criticise the dead. That is not what I'm taking about).
>
> This does not stop anyone calling for improvements to be made to driving and
> vehicles at the same time. I wish you well in your campaign.
>
> > comments on how to be safe are never wasted

> Good, and that's what I'm talking about.
>
> ~PB- Hide quoted text -

I wonder whether, having been cut up by lorry drivers who have
overtaken and then IMMEDIATELY turned left, had I not taken evading
action and been squished the driver would have employed the get-out-of-
jail "He undertook me" card...

On Dec 14, 11:03 am, spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 14 Dec, 10:38, "Pete Biggs"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > stigy wrote:

> > > With so many lorry drivers not paying due care and attention, I'm a
> > > cyclist myself and I see it all the time, any finger pointing needs to
> > > be appropriately directed to the people who are actually breaking the
> > > law and getting away with it. Just to be clear, that'd be the lorry
> > > drivers, not the (in the vast majority of cases) the cyclists.

> > > Therefore, you seem to miss the point my friend, comments on how to be
> > > safe are never wasted, but "constructive criticism" aimed at someone
> > > who is already dead because of the reckless actions of someone else
> > > are in no way useful.

> > The constructive criticism I refer to is not aimed at victims but at
> > potential victims. (Some posters may not make that clear or may actually
> > criticise the dead. That is not what I'm taking about).

> > This does not stop anyone calling for improvements to be made to driving and
> > vehicles at the same time. I wish you well in your campaign.

> > > comments on how to be safe are never wasted

> > Good, and that's what I'm talking about.

> > ~PB- Hide quoted text -

> I wonder whether, having been cut up by lorry drivers who have
> overtaken and then IMMEDIATELY turned left, had I not taken evading
> action and been squished the driver would have employed the get-out-of-
> jail "He undertook me" card...

You need a camera.

I'm sure if all cyclists had cameras we'd immediately see a dramatic
improvement in the way drivers behave around them.

Infact I think cameras, if they could be made common enough, would be
a far better safely investment than lights.

Unfortunately, cameras don't have the battery life (yet) and so it
takes a considerable effort to ensure that they're always charged and
they aren't really compatible with people who don't ride every day and
so can have a routine of charging batteries.

Tim.

On 14 Dec, 13:03, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 14, 11:03 am, spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On 14 Dec, 10:38, "Pete Biggs"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The constructive criticism I refer to is not aimed at victims but at
> > > potential victims. (Some posters may not make that clear or may actually
> > > criticise the dead. That is not what I'm taking about).

> > > This does not stop anyone calling for improvements to be made to driving and
> > > vehicles at the same time. I wish you well in your campaign.

> > > Good, and that's what I'm talking about.

> > > ~PB- Hide quoted text -

> > I wonder whether, having been cut up by lorry drivers who have
> > overtaken and then IMMEDIATELY turned left, had I not taken evading
> > action and been squished the driver would have employed the get-out-of-
> > jail "He undertook me" card...

> You need a camera.
>
> I'm sure if all cyclists had cameras we'd immediately see a dramatic
> improvement in the way drivers behave around them.
>
> Infact I think cameras, if they could be made common enough, would be
> a far better safely investment than lights.
>
> Unfortunately, cameras don't have the battery life (yet) and so it
> takes a considerable effort to ensure that they're always charged and
> they aren't really compatible with people who don't ride every day and
> so can have a routine of charging batteries.
>
> Tim.- Hide quoted text -

I think you can set up a working piece of kit for about £100.

Like this, not a lorry driver but an example of the kind of behaviour
motorists indulge in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chfYMHIfBzk

On Dec 14, 11:03 am, spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:

> I wonder whether, having been cut up by lorry drivers who have
> overtaken and then IMMEDIATELY turned left, had I not taken evading
> action and been squished the driver would have employed the get-out-of-
> jail "He undertook me" card...

I agree. The assumption always seems to be that the cyclist was
recklessly passing a lorry on the inside. I myself came very close to
death a few years ago when a huge low loader had got half way through
overtaking me then suddenly braked hard and began to turn left.

As it began to squeeze me out I realised I was going to have to bail.
I was still using toe clips and straps in those days, I was wearing
shoe plates and my feet were tightly strapped in. I had two options
really. One was to fall onto the trailer and hope I could either lift
the bike onto me or kick it away before it dragged me under the
wheels. For a moment this seemed the better option and I was actually
wondering how far I would be carried before the lorry reached its
destination.

As it happened I decided to go for the pavement. I just managed to
free my left foot in time to give me a boost over the high kerb and
scramble out of the road. As I sprawled across the pavement I still
had to scramble to avoid the multiple rear wheels of the trailer which
had also crossed onto the pavement by this time. The lorry didn't
stop. If I had been killed I'm certain it would have gone down as a
cyclist foolishly trying to overtake a low loader on the inside at a
junction. The driver probably wouldn't even have noticed.

--
Dave...

"stigy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> if
> the driver had not broken the law by fumbling around for papers in his
> cab instead of paying due care and attention to the road, Emma would
> certainly not have been killed.

If Emma had ridden according to the guidance of cycle craft she would most
likely still be alive as she would not have put herself in the position
where the error by the driver was fatal to her.

Sorry if that is painful to you, but often the truth hurts.

What would you advise other cyclists to do?

Follow Emma's behavior or follow cycle craft?

pk

[email protected] twisted the electrons to say:
> I'm sure if all cyclists had cameras we'd immediately see a dramatic
> improvement in the way drivers behave around them.

Hmmm ... Maybe not all, just a statistically significant quantity?
Though I suppose we're verging close to the (hidden) speed camera
argument there? Ie: Will cagers behave themselves if they think there's
chance it will be noticed (in some sort of official sense), and I think
the answer there is "no" ...

> Unfortunately, cameras don't have the battery life (yet) and so it
> takes a considerable effort to ensure that they're always charged and
> they aren't really compatible with people who don't ride every day and
> so can have a routine of charging batteries.

Clearly we need SON-powered bicycle cameras!

>> the driver had not broken the law by fumbling around for papers in
>> his cab instead of paying due care and attention to the road, Emma
>> would certainly not have been killed.

> If Emma had ridden according to the guidance of cycle craft she would
> most likely still be alive as she would not have put herself in the
> position where the error by the driver was fatal to her.
>
> Sorry if that is painful to you, but often the truth hurts.

<www.movingtargetzine.com/article/more-on-emma-foa>

Did she put herself in that position, or did the lorry driver? Given that
a friend of Emma's is reading the thread it might have been nice if you'd
have kept your mouth shut, or at the very least rephrased your point.
Overtaking vehicles on the left is one thing, having a large vehicle pull
level with you then turn across you is another.

PK wrote:

> "stigy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> if
>> the driver had not broken the law by fumbling around for papers in his
>> cab instead of paying due care and attention to the road, Emma would
>> certainly not have been killed.

> If Emma had ridden according to the guidance of cycle craft she would most
> likely still be alive as she would not have put herself in the position
> where the error by the driver was fatal to her.

You are a particularly insensitive clod, you know.

You're right, of course. But nevertheless Emma was riding within the law and
in accordance with the guidance of the Highway Code. Defensive cycling is
not widely taught - particularly to adults - and Cyclecraft is not widely
publicised. Most utility cyclists simply don't know of these things.
Following the government's publicity campaigns they reasonably believe
that, provided they wear a helmet and high-visibility clothing, and obey
the law, they will be safe.

Emma Foa, on the evidence we have, was behaving as a normal, careful
responsible person, using the information available to her. She should have
been safe. She wasn't, but that is really not her fault.

Which is why it is /STILL/ my opinion that the most urgent thing that public
money to encourage cycling could go into is good quality free or low cost
training for ADULT cyclists.

Anagram: I'm soon broke.

Quoting Simon Brooke <[email protected]>:
>You're right, of course. But nevertheless Emma was riding within the law and
>in accordance with the guidance of the Highway Code. Defensive cycling is
>not widely taught - particularly to adults - and Cyclecraft is not widely
>publicised. Most utility cyclists simply don't know of these things.

In that case it is hardly unequivocally a bad thing that people here keep
hammering on about the importance of not getting into that position.
Today is Wednesday, December.

In message <[email protected]>
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

> Which is why it is /STILL/ my opinion that the most urgent thing that public
> money to encourage cycling could go into is good quality free or low cost
> training for ADULT cyclists.

Here, here.

And a benefit for the future, not an inflation linked drain on
maintenance budgets

Trained by the LCC Merton, this year. My training was neglected for 60
years.
--
Charles
Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park

"Mark T"
<pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> Overtaking vehicles on the left is one thing, having a large vehicle pull
> level with you then turn across you is another.

when arriving at traffic lights:
if there is a vehicle there - do not stop on its left,
if there is no vehicle there "claim the lane" to prevent a vehicle pulling
level, with you trapped in the gutter.

Far better to learn from tragic events than avoid open discussion, surely?

pk