Nearly got doored today

"TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2005-10-03, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)
>> Many years ago (88) an incident happened to a mate (with me just
>> behiond him) riding down the notorious Chapel St. It probably made more
>> of a 'cyclist' and advocate than anything else (apart from the damn fun
>> of it all!)
>>
>> Woman passes us, hurriedly pulls into carspot. As Andrew passes, she
>> opens door very quickly. Top corner of door thru helmet. Andrew died on
>> the way to the hospital.
>> 6 months later, she tried to deny her statement given immediately after
>> the event that she had "opened the door 'at' him to teach him a
>> lesson".
>> 3 witnesses (2 of which were stopping me from killing her :mad: )
>> heard her blurt this out.
>> She did 2 of a possible 5 years.

> I hadn't heard this before.
>
> Seeing it would probably make me more of a maniacal "must kill cars"
> person than I already am.
>
> --
> TimC
> Five is a sufficiently close approximation to infinity.
> -- Robert Firth

It's quite sad. I had several incidents where a lady driver has looked me in
the eye as I was approaching her car, then swung the door open in front of
me.

As I commute, I consider any parked car with someone sitting in it as
potentially hazardous, and plan "evasive action" - either to go around the
danger zone or slow down as I pass.

Henry.

> As I commute, I consider any parked car with someone sitting
> in it as potentially hazardous, and plan "evasive action" -
> either to go around the danger zone or slow down as I pass.

Yep. But ALL parked cars are a potential hazard, whether you
can see an occupant or not. Some just aren't visible. So just
don't ride close.

Also beware when (as is legal) passing to the left of a line
of cars stopped at the lights. Getting doored by the quick-
exit passenger is not unknown.