Nearly got him

Sir Lex

Guest
As I was turning right at a set of traffic lights yesterday morning, I
came extremely close to cleaning up a cyclist who was riding on the
wrong side of the road, through a red pedestrian signal. Glad my ABS
worked.

I am by no means having a go at all cyclists here... but I just don't
understand the mentality of the few who do these sorts of things. This
guy wasn't a druggy on a stolen bike, but a bloke in a suit probably on
his way to work. Why on earth would someone ride or walk through a red
pedestrian signal when they were clearly not sure what the traffic
lights were doing? Do they not understand that <100kg's vs >1500kgs
does not result in a good outcome?

Perhaps GovCo's should offer optional and affordable defensive riding
courses for these noobs, but even then the majority of people who take
up the course would be sensible people who wouldn't ride through red
lights on the wrong side of the road in the first place.

On the weekend I was out for a ride through Canberra, and obviously
annoyed a truck driver when he had to slow down to wait for me when he
wanted to turn left. I began wondering what could be done to convince
other drivers that bicycles are legally permitted on the road and
thought, how about all roads with bicycle lanes or with heavy bicycle
traffic should have red, amber and green bicycle signals at all sets of
traffic lights, as this would make it clear that bicycles are roadworthy
vehicles recognised by law. Something like this may also discourage
those few who run red lights, as a big red bicycle light staring them in
the face would make it clear that they have to stop.

I don't know what can be done about the few who choose to risk life and
limb by riding against traffic though. Any suggestions?

SL

Sir Lex wrote:
<snip>

> Why on earth would someone ride or walk through a red
> pedestrian signal when they were clearly not sure what the traffic
> lights were doing? Do they not understand that <100kg's vs >1500kgs
> does not result in a good outcome?

It's called natural selection and it doesn't happen as often as it should.

> On the weekend I was out for a ride through Canberra, and obviously
> annoyed a truck driver when he had to slow down to wait for me when he
> wanted to turn left. I began wondering what could be done to convince
> other drivers that bicycles are legally permitted on the road and
> thought, how about all roads with bicycle lanes or with heavy bicycle
> traffic should have red, amber and green bicycle signals at all sets of
> traffic lights, as this would make it clear that bicycles are roadworthy
> vehicles recognised by law. Something like this may also discourage
> those few who run red lights, as a big red bicycle light staring them in
> the face would make it clear that they have to stop.

No, I think that this would reinforce the perception that bicycles are a
special case which is not what we are. Better to educate cyclists that
they *are* vehicles and get them to behave as such.

--
BrettS

BrettS said:
Sir Lex wrote:
<snip>

> Why on earth would someone ride or walk through a red
> pedestrian signal when they were clearly not sure what the traffic
> lights were doing? Do they not understand that <100kg's vs >1500kgs
> does not result in a good outcome?

It's called natural selection and it doesn't happen as often as it should.
Yeah, not much you can do, other than aim better next time :p

Peka said:
Yeah, not much you can do, other than aim better next time :p
Have to agree there, it is quite embarrassing being the cyclist who is stopped at the lights when some absolute prat just rolls on through.

better education for all.
Lights cost money ($20K+ a set, minimum AFAIK)

ignorant (conveniently, or otherwise) RIDERS make the landscape hard for all of us.

ignorant (conveniently, or otherwise) DRIVERS make the landscape hard for all of us.

Ultimately the only thing in 'control' of these individuals is themselves.
Only they can 'see the light'. Sometimes it just needs to be illuminated for them :rolleyes:

Flying" they shoot horses, dont they? " Dutch

"Sir Lex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As I was turning right at a set of traffic lights yesterday morning, I
> came extremely close to cleaning up a cyclist who was riding on the wrong
> side of the road, through a red pedestrian signal. Glad my ABS worked.
>
> I am by no means having a go at all cyclists here... but I just don't
> understand the mentality of the few who do these sorts of things. This
> guy wasn't a druggy on a stolen bike, but a bloke in a suit probably on
> his way to work. Why on earth would someone ride or walk through a red
> pedestrian signal when they were clearly not sure what the traffic lights
> were doing? Do they not understand that <100kg's vs >1500kgs does not
> result in a good outcome?
>
> Perhaps GovCo's should offer optional and affordable defensive riding
> courses for these noobs, but even then the majority of people who take up
> the course would be sensible people who wouldn't ride through red lights
> on the wrong side of the road in the first place.
>
> On the weekend I was out for a ride through Canberra, and obviously
> annoyed a truck driver when he had to slow down to wait for me when he
> wanted to turn left. I began wondering what could be done to convince
> other drivers that bicycles are legally permitted on the road and thought,
> how about all roads with bicycle lanes or with heavy bicycle traffic
> should have red, amber and green bicycle signals at all sets of traffic
> lights, as this would make it clear that bicycles are roadworthy vehicles
> recognised by law. Something like this may also discourage those few who
> run red lights, as a big red bicycle light staring them in the face would
> make it clear that they have to stop.
>
> I don't know what can be done about the few who choose to risk life and
> limb by riding against traffic though. Any suggestions?
>
> SL

Sounds almost like my neighbour. He is such a ditz. On a weekend ride in the
some 40km or so we covered, he rode across intersections (through red
lights), in front of oncoming traffic on THREE occasions (all major
intersections)... and when I finally caught up to him after waiting for the
green light he was like "what lights? what intersection?".

This is in addition to the twice that he was on the footpath (which is legal
here) and rode across pedestrian crossings with red lights, without slowing
down, in front of slow moving traffic.

How can anyone be *that* clueless (and idiotic?). Clearly natural selection
is not working as this dipstick (who I refuse to ride with as a result of
this) has caused me to crash twice; once by clipping my wheel and causing me
to go down on the road in front of a truck (who floored it and yelled
"yippee!" as I hit the asphalt), and the other time he was riding along side
me when he looked over his right shoulder, his bike veered left into mine
and sent me into a gutter.

This was all on the same 40km ride by the way.

Natural selection is doing it's best to wipe me out and leave him standing!

> [...]

green light he was like "what lights? what intersection?".

This is in addition to the twice that he was on the footpath (which is legal
here) and rode across pedestrian crossings with red lights, without slowing
down, in front of slow moving traffic.

How can anyone be *that* clueless (and idiotic?). Clearly natural selection
is not working as this dipstick (who I refuse to ride with as a result of
this) has caused me to crash twice; once by clipping my wheel and causing me
to go down on the road in front of a truck (who floored it and yelled
"yippee!" as I hit the asphalt), and the other time he was riding along side
me when he looked over his right shoulder, his bike veered left into mine
and sent me into a gutter.

This was all on the same 40km ride by the way.

Natural selection is doing it's best to wipe me out and leave him standing!

Hey Michelle

What should we look out for? I for one don't want to get near this guy!

Donga

Hey Michelle

What should we look out for? I for one don't want to get near this guy!

Donga

Hey Michelle

What should we look out for? I for one don't want to get near this guy!

Donga

"Donga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey Michelle
>
> What should we look out for? I for one don't want to get near this guy!
>
> Donga

Black and grey helmet, no reflectors, grey drinkbottle with a aluminum cage
on a black/green framed MTB (with silver front fork) zig zagging all over
the place, with a far off look in his eye and possible 5 or 6 drivers
tailing him trying to run him down for cutting them off at the last three
intersections.

He also cycles the wrong way in cycle lanes - he is probably one of the
people complained about here

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 10:55:36 +1100, Sir Lex <[email protected]> wrote:

>As I was turning right at a set of traffic lights yesterday morning, I
>came extremely close to cleaning up a cyclist who was riding on the
>wrong side of the road, through a red pedestrian signal.

Not defending the idiot, but if they came off the path its not entirely the wrong side of the road.
The riding against red pedestrian light is 2 wrongs though, not that anyone dismounts.
One of the problems of having a good path network is that many of the path cyclists think like pedestrians, not like vehicles,
including when they venture onto the road.

Andre