Nearly got hit by.....boat trailer!

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The guy driving the pickup truck passed me with plenty of room, but when

he
> swung back into my lane, that ol' boat trailer swung like a bat out of

hell
> and missed my left knee by about 6 inches is all! I yelled and shook my
> fist at him, but I doubt he even knew he almost wiped me right off the

road.
> What is it with people pulling trailers that they don't realize the thing
> 1.) sticks farther out to both sides than their pickup truck and 2.)

swerves
> wildly when they swerve their truck?
>
> still alive, but smokin' mad....
>
> Pat in TX

It sounds like you might have been too close to the right side of the
roadway. If you were a little more to the left, the pickup would have to
swing wider to get around you. And, if his trailer crowded you due to
driver error, you would have more room to your right to escape into.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

On 20 Sep 2004 07:52:08 -0700, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

> "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > The guy driving the pickup truck passed me with plenty of room, but

>> when
>> he
>> > swung back into my lane, that ol' boat trailer swung like a bat out of

>> hell
>> > and missed my left knee by about 6 inches is all! I yelled and shook

>> my
>> > fist at him, but I doubt he even knew he almost wiped me right off the

>> road.
>> > What is it with people pulling trailers that they don't realize the

>> thing
>> > 1.) sticks farther out to both sides than their pickup truck and 2.)

>> swerves
>> > wildly when they swerve their truck?
>> >
>> > still alive, but smokin' mad....
>> >
>> > Pat in Tx

> Hi, Getting back to the original poster's comments, a real danger I
> see, is that in small towns/rural areas, most roads are only 2 lanes,
> and the shoulders of the roads are generally not that good, to even
> non-exisitant, so it sort of forces you to actually ride in the lane.
>
> When an oncoming vehicle is about to pass by you, and you have traffic
> coming up from the rear of you, this is where it can get real
> dangerous. Being hard to see behind, (Especially when your paying
> attention of where you are in the lane) it can be hard to know exactly
> just how close the vehicle coming up from behind is to you. Most
> drivers just don't seem that they are going to slow down, and wait for
> oncoming traffic to go by, just because a bike is in thier path, and
> will try to squeeze through.
>
> Just regular vehicles pose a problem. One with a trailer of some sort
> is very deadly. A very important consideration I guess, is to
> carefully select where you are going to regularly ride if riding for
> sport/recreation. Not an easy thing to do at times. Mark

Yer gonna get me on my wrong way riding thing for survival again.
I had that happen to me on my ride to Rough and Ready on Saturday.
Yes, it is a real town and it is near lakes and has a real narrow
road and no shoulders. I did ride on the right side so I don't
want to hear it from the know it alls with corn cobs up their asses.
Bill Baka

wrote in part:

---snip----
> I did ride on the right side so I don't
>want to hear it from the know it alls with corn cobs up their asses.
>Bill Baka

So why bring it up besides to insult those that disagree(d) with you in past
threads?

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Hunrobe wrote:
>> Bill Baka [email protected]

> wrote in part:
>
> ---snip----
>> I did ride on the right side so I don't
>> want to hear it from the know it alls with corn cobs up their asses.
>> Bill Baka

> So why bring it up besides to insult those that disagree(d) with you
> in past threads?

But he worded it so eloquently!

Bill "too good to be free" S.

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:10:30 GMT, S o r n i <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Hunrobe wrote:
>>> Bill Baka [email protected]

>> wrote in part:
>>
>> ---snip----
>>> I did ride on the right side so I don't
>>> want to hear it from the know it alls with corn cobs up their asses.
>>> Bill Baka

>> So why bring it up besides to insult those that disagree(d) with you
>> in past threads?

> But he worded it so eloquently!
>
> Bill "too good to be free" S.

I just have to wonder how some of you 'proper' riders are still alive to
even be here to disagree. I will admit that sharing a **** poor road with
some **** faced drunks pulling boats on trailers is not the best thing for
longevity either, but it did make for an interesting ride. 80+ miles in
one day is not bad either, when at least 60 of those were in the
mountains, albeit with lots of time off the bike goofing off and
sightseeing. Exploring old ruins is fun too. Too bad I couldn't pack a
metal detector, might have come back with some goodies.
Bill Baka

> It sounds like you might have been too close to the right side of the
> roadway. If you were a little more to the left, the pickup would have to
> swing wider to get around you. And, if his trailer crowded you due to
> driver error, you would have more room to your right to escape into.

> ...G/ \G

I think you're right. I was hugging the white line. Next time, I am going to
be a couple of feet to the left of the white line. But, still, he moved
clear into the other lane to pass me---it was only his sharp return to the
right lane that caused the boat to swerve at me. On the other hand, if I am
more into the lane, that gives me a couple of feet to veer to the right when
I see the boat trailer's rear wheel comin' at me.

Pat in TX

"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:10:30 GMT, S o r n i <[email protected]>
> wrote:

> >> wrote in part:
> >>
> >> ---snip----
> >>
> >> So why bring it up besides to insult those that disagree(d) with you
> >> in past threads?

> > But he worded it so eloquently!
> >
> > Bill "too good to be free" S.
> >

> I just have to wonder how some of you 'proper' riders are still alive to
> even be here to disagree. I will admit that sharing a **** poor road with
> some **** faced drunks pulling boats on trailers is not the best thing for
> longevity either, but it did make for an interesting ride. 80+ miles in
> one day is not bad either, when at least 60 of those were in the
> mountains, albeit with lots of time off the bike goofing off and
> sightseeing. Exploring old ruins is fun too. Too bad I couldn't pack a
> metal detector, might have come back with some goodies.
> Bill Baka

Are you seriously trying to assert that riding on the wrong side of the road
is a good thing to do?

FWIW, wrong-way riding is responsible for a high proportion of bicycle
accidents (see
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=bicyclist+riding+wrong+way
for many examples).

To persist in this behavior, despite the fact that it is illegal and
dangerous, marks you as either a moron, or an asshole, or both. But, I'm
generally an optimist, so will assume for now that you are merely an
ignorant troll.

GG

> Are you seriously trying to assert that riding on the wrong side of the

road
> is a good thing to do?

yes, he is. He is also asserting that he doesn't have to follow any
rules--just the rest of us.

> To persist in this behavior, despite the fact that it is illegal and
> dangerous, marks you as either a moron, or an asshole, or both. But, I'm
> generally an optimist, so will assume for now that you are merely an
> ignorant troll.
>
> GG

You had it right the second time. He spends a lot of time trying to insult
people on this newsgroup into riding against traffic. What sense does that
make?

Pat in TX

>Subject: Re: Nearly got hit by.....boat trailer!
>From: Bill Baka [email protected]
>Date: 9/20/2004 11:09 AM US Eastern Standard Time
>
>On 20 Sep 2004 07:52:08 -0700, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...
>>> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>> when
>>> he
>>> hell
>>> my
>>> road.
>>> thing
>>> swerves

>> Hi, Getting back to the original poster's comments, a real danger I
>> see, is that in small towns/rural areas, most roads are only 2 lanes,
>> and the shoulders of the roads are generally not that good, to even
>> non-exisitant, so it sort of forces you to actually ride in the lane.
>>
>> When an oncoming vehicle is about to pass by you, and you have traffic
>> coming up from the rear of you, this is where it can get real
>> dangerous. Being hard to see behind, (Especially when your paying
>> attention of where you are in the lane) it can be hard to know exactly
>> just how close the vehicle coming up from behind is to you. Most
>> drivers just don't seem that they are going to slow down, and wait for
>> oncoming traffic to go by, just because a bike is in thier path, and
>> will try to squeeze through.
>>
>> Just regular vehicles pose a problem. One with a trailer of some sort
>> is very deadly. A very important consideration I guess, is to
>> carefully select where you are going to regularly ride if riding for
>> sport/recreation. Not an easy thing to do at times. Mark

>Yer gonna get me on my wrong way riding thing for survival again.
>I had that happen to me on my ride to Rough and Ready on Saturday.
>Yes, it is a real town and it is near lakes and has a real narrow
>road and no shoulders. I did ride on the right side so I don't
>want to hear it from the know it alls with corn cobs up their asses.
>Bill Baka

I understand your attitude completely.
Sometimes there a Political Correctness about every little thing concerbing
bicycling.
I don't think riding the wrong way is always more dangerous. One argument I
don't buy is the speed difference, into the crash as opposed to getting hit
from behind as being oh so much worse.
We need more like you, Bill

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:59:08 -0700, GaryG
<garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote:

> "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:10:30 GMT, S o r n i <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>> > But he worded it so eloquently!
>> >
>> > Bill "too good to be free" S.
>> >

>> I just have to wonder how some of you 'proper' riders are still alive to
>> even be here to disagree. I will admit that sharing a **** poor road
>> with
>> some **** faced drunks pulling boats on trailers is not the best thing
>> for
>> longevity either, but it did make for an interesting ride. 80+ miles in
>> one day is not bad either, when at least 60 of those were in the
>> mountains, albeit with lots of time off the bike goofing off and
>> sightseeing. Exploring old ruins is fun too. Too bad I couldn't pack a
>> metal detector, might have come back with some goodies.
>> Bill Baka
>>

> Are you seriously trying to assert that riding on the wrong side of the
> road
> is a good thing to do?
>
> FWIW, wrong-way riding is responsible for a high proportion of bicycle
> accidents (see
> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=bicyclist+riding+wrong+way
> for many examples).
>
> To persist in this behavior, despite the fact that it is illegal and
> dangerous, marks you as either a moron, or an asshole, or both. But, I'm
> generally an optimist, so will assume for now that you are merely an
> ignorant troll.
>
> GG

None of the above, just a survivalist who knows when the law was written
by someone who thinks that one law covers all possible contigincies. Like
I said I did ride on the 'correct' side of the road, although a foray to
the wrong side would have been safer on a few blind corners. So would
walking the bike. I will not get into this again. One lane unpatrolled and
unmaintained country roads seem to have a life of their own. Would you
suggest I ride to the right on a deer trail? I have many of those where I
go too.
Bill Baka, still alive at 55.95 and not planning on an early demise do to
stupidity of following all rules just because they are rules made by some
fat slob we elected. Taking over the lane by going into the center is just
plain stupid on these roads since you can meet a logging truck with no way
to hit both the jake brake and the main brake. I nearly got hit by about a
dozen boat trailers on that ride to lake territory but some have such
qiuet mufflers you actually can't hear them coming up at you.
Bill Baka. I am not going to answer any more on this topic since we beat
it to death a few months back.

<Your words>
To persist in this behavior, despite the fact that it is illegal and
> dangerous, marks you as either a moron, or an asshole, or both. But, I'm
> generally an optimist, so will assume for now that you are merely an
> ignorant troll.

<End of your flame.>
Were you reffering to that person looking back at you from the mirror?

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:21:29 -0500, Pat <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Are you seriously trying to assert that riding on the wrong side of the

> road
>> is a good thing to do?

> yes, he is. He is also asserting that he doesn't have to follow any
> rules--just the rest of us.
>
>> To persist in this behavior, despite the fact that it is illegal and
>> dangerous, marks you as either a moron, or an asshole, or both. But,
>> I'm
>> generally an optimist, so will assume for now that you are merely an
>> ignorant troll.
>>
>> GG

> You had it right the second time. He spends a lot of time trying to
> insult
> people on this newsgroup into riding against traffic. What sense does
> that
> make?
>
> Pat in TX

Read this as riding for survival, not pacifying the group.
Get over youselves.
Bill Baka

> I understand your attitude completely.
> Sometimes there a Political Correctness about every little thing

concerbing
> bicycling.
> I don't think riding the wrong way is always more dangerous. One argument

> don't buy is the speed difference, into the crash as opposed to getting

hit
> from behind as being oh so much worse.
> We need more like you, Bill

flunked physics, did ya?

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:07:07 -0500, Pat <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I understand your attitude completely.
>> Sometimes there a Political Correctness about every little thing

> concerbing
>> bicycling.
>> I don't think riding the wrong way is always more dangerous. One
>> argument

>> don't buy is the speed difference, into the crash as opposed to getting

> hit
>> from behind as being oh so much worse.
>> We need more like you, Bill

> flunked physics, did ya?

Not really but a 15 MPH difference will not matter that much if you get hit
by a car doing 60. The additive speed would just mean you get thrown
farther
down the road. The differential speed would mean more immediate injury.
Neither would be of much consolation if you went under the wheels of a
semi.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka wrote:

> I will not get into this again.

Then why on earth did you bring it up again???

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

>Subject: Re: Nearly got hit by.....boat trailer!
>From: "Pat" [email protected]
>Date: 9/20/2004 10:07 PM US Eastern Standard Time
>

>> I understand your attitude completely.
>> Sometimes there a Political Correctness about every little thing

>concerbing
>> bicycling.
>> I don't think riding the wrong way is always more dangerous. One argument

>> don't buy is the speed difference, into the crash as opposed to getting

>hit
>> from behind as being oh so much worse.
>> We need more like you, Bill

>flunked physics, did ya?

No, I didn't, what is your profession BTW?

I also get completely off the road when I feel it is the thing to do, and to
keep traffic moving.
Some of you skinny tired clipped in sissies would tumble if you got off the
edge.
I have one stretch of road where I make two lefts. It is only a few hundred
feet. Instead of crossing traffic twice, I ride against traffic on the opposite
side, but off the road on a paved ditch.

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:20:07 -0700, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>Not really but a 15 MPH difference will not matter that much if you get hit
>by a car doing 60. The additive speed would just mean you get thrown
>farther
>down the road. The differential speed would mean more immediate injury.
>Neither would be of much consolation if you went under the wheels of a
>semi.
>Bill Baka

You're riding rather slow. If I'm riding around 15-18 mph, the speed
differential is 30-36 mph and that's more than enough to make a
difference. That car doing 60 will hit me at a differential of 42 to
45 mph instead of 75-78 mph. That isn't a difference?

A driver approaching from the rear also has more time to slow down and
will have a longer closing distance. That increases the actual
difference.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...