NEarly got side swiped this afternoon :(



Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doesnotcompute

Guest
Took a ride into the city to go book shopping and have lunch in the park. On my way in there's a T
junction where all 3 roads are majors, with filtered traffic lights to deter chaos.

I'm filtering up the inside as one usually does in traffic, as the lights change and the traffic
starts to move forward. I continue as I am happily trundling along.

Next thing I know a bloke in a vulva [1] is beeping his horn and waving at me. I get the sense this
wasn't friendly nor a good thing [tm].

Anyway he passes me and pulls over a little further down the road. Warily I pull up at the drivers
door as he winds the window down and lets all sorts of expletives out. Apparently I need to be more
careful and open my eyes, as he nearly took me out. I suggested that given it was nearly him taking
me out and not the other way round, perhaps he should be more careful and open his eyes insted. Well
that was that, he went for the door handle - so I cunningly just leant forward, with my arms on the
top of the door above the window. Being about 65 he didn't have a chance of pushing that door open
with me leaning on it. I'm a big geezer to say the least!

So I continue as he curses, and threatens to get out and give me a good seeing to - a threat I
simply laugh at and ask him if he's having some sort of seizure as he's clearly not thinking
straight - I could give him a 10 round headstart and still whoop him in one.

Out of the corner of my eye I see him slip the auto gearbox into D, so I cunningly [2] shuffle my
weight so it appears I'm supported by the car when in fact I'm not.

Sure enough he stick his foot down, obviously hoping to catch me unawares. Instead I start
pedalling and memorise his registration plate etc. I cycle straight to the police station to report
the incident, and will be giving a formal statement tomorrow. The desk jockey in the plod shop
asked exactly what I thought he was guilty of, I retorted "driving without due care and attention",
"Road rage" and "Threatening behaviour". The DJ then duly noted the details and said someone would
be in contact.

Grrrrr!

Still I had a lovely afternoon in the park with the latest copy of MBR and a book :)

[1] okay okay it was a Volvo. Surprise Surprise.
[2] 2 lots of cunningness in one day - whatever next?!

--
WasNotSquished
 
E

Elyob

Guest
"Doesnotcompute" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<snip>
> he winds the window down and lets all sorts of expletives out.

Time to let him go then, he's only small fry ...

I got out of road rage as soon as I sold my car ... it's now towpath rage, or shared-path
rage ......
 
D

Dave

Guest
"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Doesnotcompute" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> <snip>
> > he winds the window down and lets all sorts of expletives out.
>
> Time to let him go then, he's only small fry ...
>
> I got out of road rage as soon as I sold my car ... it's now towpath rage, or shared-path
> rage ......
>
>
>
>
I got out of 'anything-rage' as soon as I realised it was becoming a media-hyped fashion accessory.
Rather than go along with it and succumb to the 'red mist', I just 'let it go'. A cheery wave and a
smile, accompanied with a 'yeah, sorry mate....', if necessary defuses situations immediately. Even
if I percieve them to be in the wrong, I'd rather everyone left the scene happy than it escalating
into who knows what. If they are in such a state that they need the tiniest issue to become
something more, then they are too close to a stress induced stroke / heart attack for my liking and
I'm more than happy to help by massaging their over inflated egos. I merely consider them to have an
over-inflated view of self-worth and they obviously believe that them getting to their destination
is far more important than me getting to mine......whereas I want everyone to get wherever they're
headed for. Dave.
 
D

Doobrie

Guest
> Anyway he passes me and pulls over a little further down the road. Warily I pull up at the drivers
> door as he winds the window down and lets all sorts of expletives out. Apparently I need to be
> more careful and open my eyes, as he nearly took me out. I suggested that given it was nearly him
> taking me out and not the other way round, perhaps he should be more careful and open his eyes
> insted. Well that was that, he went for the door handle - so I cunningly just leant forward, with
> my arms on the top of the door above the window. Being about 65 he didn't have a chance of pushing
> that door open with me leaning on it. I'm a big geezer to say the least!

nicely handled, especially the not letting him out to get a whuppin part, see - your even thinking
of his continuing comfort in a hostile situation !

ive no idea what i'll do in that situation as its bound to come up sooner or later. im mostly anti
confrontation, so lets hope i keep my calm and just cycle away instead otherwise things could get
real ugly!

> Grrrrr!

yep, a definate grrrr, lets hope he gets a talking to for being a complete idiot on the road ...
even funnier if its from a fresh faced young police officer giving this long in the tooth cager
advice ... im sure he'd also love that!

> Still I had a lovely afternoon in the park with the latest copy of MBR and a book :)

nice, i had a crappy day shifting heavy equipment round in the heat ... not to mention being
bikeless .... have i mentioned this by any chance ....!!
 
P

Peter Fox

Guest
Following on from elyob's message. . .
>
>Time to let him go then, he's only small fry ...
No! Stand up to bullying.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the bottom fell out of the bucket business

Witham Cycling Campaign www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm East Anglian Pub cycle rides
www.eminent.demon.co.uk/rides
 
P

Peter B

Guest
"Doesnotcompute" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Next thing I know a bloke in a vulva [1] is beeping his horn and waving at me. I get the sense
> this wasn't friendly nor a good thing [tm].
> [1] okay okay it was a Volvo. Surprise Surprise.

Cue Guy.

Pete
 
M

Marc

Guest
doobrie <[email protected]> wrote:

> ive no idea what i'll do in that situation as its bound to come up sooner or later.

No, it's not bound to occur. I would never have started if the OP had just kept on cycling.

--
Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/
 
D

Doesnotcompute

Guest
marc wrote:
> doobrie <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>ive no idea what i'll do in that situation as its bound to come up sooner or later.
>
>
> No, it's not bound to occur. I would never have started if the OP had just kept on cycling.

And had the guy open his door onto me? I don't think so.

I will *not* be bullied on the roads. I have my car licence and pay the tax. I have a full motorbike
licence and pay the tax. I have as much right to use the road as anyone else and I should be able to
do that safely.

What if that had been a newbie to cycling? could have put them right off.

--
Dnc
 
D

Doesnotcompute

Guest
Peter Fox wrote:
> Following on from elyob's message. . .
>
>>
>> Time to let him go then, he's only small fry ...
>
> No! Stand up to bullying.
>

Indeed. Thanks for pointing that out.

--
Dnc
 
M

Marc

Guest
Doesnotcompute <[email protected]> wrote:

> marc wrote:
> > doobrie <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >
> >>ive no idea what i'll do in that situation as its bound to come up sooner or later.
> >
> >
> > No, it's not bound to occur. I would never have started if the OP had just kept on cycling.
>
> And had the guy open his door onto me? I don't think so.

"Warily I pull up at the drivers door as he winds the window down"

Keep on cycling and he can wind his window down as much as he likes..
>
> I will *not* be bullied on the roads. I have my car licence and pay the tax. I have a full
> motorbike licence and pay the tax. I have as much right to use the road as anyone else and I
> should be able to do that safely.

You have a right to the arguement you paid for? Did you want the 5 minute or the 10 min argument?
>
> What if that had been a newbie to cycling? could have put them right off.
They might well have just cycled on and not even known it was happening, he wanted an arguement ,
you supplied him with one.

--
Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/
 
D

Doesnotcompute

Guest
marc wrote:

>>>No, it's not bound to occur. I would never have started if the OP had just kept on cycling.

>>And had the guy open his door onto me? I don't think so.
>
>
> "Warily I pull up at the drivers door as he winds the window down"

Not sure what poitn you're making here.

> Keep on cycling and he can wind his window down as much as he likes..

Indeed, but had I not ooked like I was stopping, the door could easily have been flung open. Now I'm
no fan of going over or through car doors, especially ones where I already know there is a
cyclist/driver problem.

>>I will *not* be bullied on the roads. I have my car licence and pay the tax. I have a full
>>motorbike licence and pay the tax. I have as much right to use the road as anyone else and I
>>should be able to do that safely.

> You have a right to the arguement you paid for? Did you want the 5 minute or the 10 min argument?

>>What if that had been a newbie to cycling? could have put them right off.
>
> They might well have just cycled on and not even known it was happening, he wanted an arguement ,
> you supplied him with one.

Or they may well be laid up in the hospital where the driver chucked his door open -
"accidentally" no doubt - into the path of the "un knowing" newbie who wasn't as cynical and sharp
eyed as most of us.

Regardsless of your beliefs, I don't believe anyone should feel bullied on the roads - except those
behaving dangerously, they should be bullied by the safe, via the police.

--
Dnc
 
T

Trevor Woodmore

Guest
"Doesnotcompute" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> marc wrote:
>
> I will *not* be bullied on the roads. I have my car licence and pay the tax. I have a full
> motorbike licence and pay the tax. I have as much right to use the road as anyone else and I
> should be able to do that
safely.

I agree that you have as much right as anyone else to used the road, and that you should be able to
do so safely. You seem to be suggesting that this right is obtained, or enhanced, by virtue of the
fact that you have car and motorbike licences, and that you pay tax. Presumbly you also think that
anybody that does not have these licences, or pay the tax, somehow has lesser rights than you when
riding their bike. This is nonsense - we all have the same rights when riding a bike, regardless of
which licences we hold or taxes we pay.

Trevor Woodmore.
 
C

Chris Bardell

Guest
"Trevor Woodmore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I agree that you have as much right as anyone else to used the road, and that you should be able
> to do so safely. You seem to be suggesting that this right is obtained, or enhanced, by virtue of
> the fact that you have
car
> and motorbike licences, and that you pay tax. Presumbly you also think
that
> anybody that does not have these licences, or pay the tax, somehow has lesser rights than you when
> riding their bike. This is nonsense - we all have the same rights when riding a bike, regardless
> of which licences we hold or taxes we pay.

My thoughts exactly, only better expressed.

The old 'I pay my taxes' line is exactly what cagers resort to when they have a beef about anything
involving cyclists. Shouldn't the cyclist line be 'I'm cycling here cos it's a public Right of Way -
therefore I have a legally-enshrined right to ride here, so up yours Mr. Motorist if you think that
your paying a charge to use your polluting death-cage machine on this same public highway makes you
more entitled to use it than me'?

Whether you pay road taxes or not is irrelevant - it's a public right of way & vehicles without
engines (such as cycles) do not pay Road Fund Licence. I have a car & pay road tax too, but it's of
no relevance to my right to cycle on public roads, which I exercise regularly.
 
C

Chesney Christ

Guest
A certain Chris Bardell, of uk.rec.cycling "fame", writes :
>"Trevor Woodmore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I agree that you have as much right as anyone else to used the road, and that you should be able
>> to do so safely. You seem to be suggesting that this right is obtained, or enhanced, by virtue of
>> the fact that you have
>car
>> and motorbike licences, and that you pay tax. Presumbly you also think
>that
>> anybody that does not have these licences, or pay the tax, somehow has lesser rights than you
>> when riding their bike. This is nonsense - we all have the same rights when riding a bike,
>> regardless of which licences we hold or taxes we pay.
>
>My thoughts exactly, only better expressed.
>
>The old 'I pay my taxes' line is exactly what cagers resort to when they have a beef about anything
>involving cyclists.

It's just an excuse. Does anyone really think that the ****** motorists that exist out there would
all become polite and accommodating if cyclists had to pay an annual tax ?

--

"Jokes mentioning ducks were considered particularly funny." - cnn.com
 
J

Just Zis Guy

Guest
On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 00:36:24 +0100, Doesnotcompute <[email protected]> wrote:

>[1] okay okay it was a Volvo. Surprise Surprise.

Certainly a surprise to me - it's usually BMWs or Mercs for me. But then, I'm a Volvo driver. When I
drive, which isn't often.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com New!
Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!
 
I

Ian Smith

Guest
On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 19:40:12 +0000, marc <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> "Warily I pull up at the drivers door as he winds the window down"
>
> Keep on cycling and he can wind his window down as much as he likes..

At which point a psycopathic lunatic is immediately behind you with a ton or so of deadly weapon.

Personally, I avoid getting in front of such people - and despite that I've had one pull off into an
entrance without me noticing and zoom out (with revving of engine and screaming of tyres) after I
went past. Since that particular individual had recently informed me that he'd

such activity) I took that to be a serious threat to my life.

In altercations with murderous cagers, you're better off not getting in front of them, in my
opinion. That sometimes means warily stopping.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
|/ \|
 
M

Marc

Guest
Doesnotcompute <[email protected]> wrote:

> marc wrote:
>
> >>>No, it's not bound to occur. I would never have started if the OP had just kept on cycling.
>
> >>And had the guy open his door onto me? I don't think so.
> >
> >
> > "Warily I pull up at the drivers door as he winds the window down"
>
>
> Not sure what poitn you're making here.
It takes two to argue...

>
>
> > Keep on cycling and he can wind his window down as much as he likes..
>
> Indeed, but had I not ooked like I was stopping, the door could easily have been flung open. Now
> I'm no fan of going over or through car doors, especially ones where I already know there is a
> cyclist/driver problem.

Then leave room?
>
> >>I will *not* be bullied on the roads. I have my car licence and pay the tax. I have a full
> >>motorbike licence and pay the tax. I have as much right to use the road as anyone else and I
> >>should be able to do that safely.
>
> > You have a right to the arguement you paid for? Did you want the 5 minute or the 10 min
> > argument?
>

He wanted an argument, you obliged, an argument happened , yet you blame him...
>
> >>What if that had been a newbie to cycling? could have put them right off.
> >
> > They might well have just cycled on and not even known it was happening, he wanted an arguement
> > , you supplied him with one.
>
> Or they may well be laid up in the hospital where the driver chucked his door open -
> "accidentally" no doubt - into the path of the "un knowing" newbie who wasn't as cynical and sharp
> eyed as most of us.
>
> Regardsless of your beliefs, I don't believe anyone should feel bullied on the roads - except
> those behaving dangerously, they should be bullied by the safe, via the police.
>
> --
> Dnc

Not content with one argument, you now want another? You might have do to do it without me.

--
Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/
 
D

Doesnotcompute

Guest
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 00:36:24 +0100, Doesnotcompute <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>[1] okay okay it was a Volvo. Surprise Surprise.
>
>
> Certainly a surprise to me - it's usually BMWs or Mercs for me. But then, I'm a Volvo driver. When
> I drive, which isn't often.

Guy - there is an exception to every rule, in this case you're it! Seriously though, Volvos are well
renound in the motorcycle community for being, and I choose this word carefully, "involved", in
motorcycle-car interfaces.

--
Dnc
 
D

Doesnotcompute

Guest
Trevor Woodmore wrote:
> "Doesnotcompute" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>marc wrote:
>>
>>I will *not* be bullied on the roads. I have my car licence and pay the tax. I have a full
>>motorbike licence and pay the tax. I have as much right to use the road as anyone else and I
>>should be able to do that
>
> safely.
>
> I agree that you have as much right as anyone else to used the road, and that you should be able
> to do so safely. You seem to be suggesting that this right is obtained, or enhanced, by virtue of
> the fact that you have car and motorbike licences, and that you pay tax.

Not at all - although this may well have been the belief of the cager with intent - hence my
comments about licences and tax. I am not merely a cyclist but a multi modal road user.

> Presumbly

and this is why you're statement is bound to be invalid;

> you also think that anybody that does not have these licences, or pay the tax, somehow has lesser
> rights than you when riding their bike.

Thought as much. No I don't think that. The same as I don't think cycle lanes are necessarliy safe
and I don't believe people should be intimidated of forced to use them. The same feelings with
helmets, you makes your choices and pays your money - or not.

> This is nonsense - we all have the same rights when riding a bike, regardless of which licences we
> hold or taxes we pay.

Indeed - but the vast majority of people who believe in that are cyclists. There is many a cager and
possibly motorcyclist (but less likely) that does not believe cyclists do, or should have, those
same rights.

I do understand however why you may have come to these conclusions and apologise for not making my
thoughts clearer with regard to the comments of tax and licensing.

--
Dnc
 
Status
Not open for further replies.