Neat article on good local race

On 30 May 2006 13:58:23 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> http://pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=1005
>>

>That was a good article. What percent of races in the NYC area are
>crits? There were certainly lots of beefy looking guys in some of the
>pics. I wonder how they do in hilly races.

Most are circuit races in parks. For example, my club puts on 2
largish circuit races, a crit and a half (helping another club on the
half) and two road races (really circuit races but long circuits with
hard hills). Plus about 15 training races on circuits.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 30 May 2006 13:58:23 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>

> >John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> >> http://pedalpushersonline.com/?CID=1005
> >>

> >That was a good article. What percent of races in the NYC area are
> >crits? There were certainly lots of beefy looking guys in some of the
> >pics. I wonder how they do in hilly races.

> Most are circuit races in parks. For example, my club puts on 2
> largish circuit races, a crit and a half (helping another club on the
> half) and two road races (really circuit races but long circuits with
> hard hills). Plus about 15 training races on circuits.

I imagine the circuit races in parks have the roads closed to traffic.
The last 4 races I've been in (all on open roads) have all had some
issue with riders either crashing into cars, or into fields to avoid
them. The circuits we use are at least 15km, so getting lapped isn't
(usually) a problem, but I'd like to have a go at a race where I had a
chance of not getting dropped on some 8% hill, or hit by a car!

Joseph

On 31 May 2006 08:10:55 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

>> Most are circuit races in parks. For example, my club puts on 2
>> largish circuit races, a crit and a half (helping another club on the
>> half) and two road races (really circuit races but long circuits with
>> hard hills). Plus about 15 training races on circuits.
>>

>I imagine the circuit races in parks have the roads closed to traffic.

Most but not all. Our main circuits have small amounts of car traffic
and significant amounts of pedestrian and non-racing bicycle traffic.
So they're tricky to have races on and require a lot of marshals.

Another club in my city runs races on a couse similar to ours, plus
some on a course with extremely little traffic that's completely flat
(and old air field)

The two road races on the large circuit are open to traffic but are in
a very secluded area, so they're not so bad.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> Here is some video from the cat 4 field (near beginners) at a recent
> road race my club put on
>
> http://www.nyvelocity.com/content.php?id=764
>
> I think there were 100 starters -- at least the field filled
> completely to the limit of 100 in less than 24 hours after we opened
> online registration.
>
> Here's the results from that race
> http://www.crca.net/races06/harrimanspring.htm

I did the Bear Mountain race once in '87 as a Junior. I DNF'd. Floyd
Bennet had such lousy surface it wasn't even rideable. Times change.

Around here they don't separate the riders into classes. So the race I
did last weekend was 105 miles with almost as much climbing as the Bear
Mountan 98 miler, except most the climbing was concentrated into 3
tough steep climbs in the first 20 miles. The winners finished in 4:06.
I have no doubt these guys would have been competitive in the Pro/1/2
race at Bear Mountain. But that made it hell for me. I finished 45
minutes off the pace, along with a smattering of other mortals. I'm
pretty sure I could have hung with the main Cat 4 group at Bear
Mountain, and may not have been that far off the back of the Cat 3's.
Gotta have confidence, if nothing else! ;-)

It would be fun to try a race sometime with others of similar ability.

Joseph