Neck and shoulder pain during a long ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy Kriger

Like the subject says, I get neck and shoulder pain late into a long ride. I figure it's either my
seat position or my body position. I realize some pain is inevitable from sitting in one position
for a long period of time, but I'm hoping folks can offer pointers on what/how I need to adjust to
minimize the pain.

thx andy

> Like the subject says, I get neck and shoulder pain late into a long ride.
I
> figure it's either my seat position or my body position. I realize some
pain
> is inevitable from sitting in one position for a long period of time, but
I'm
> hoping folks can offer pointers on what/how I need to adjust to minimize
the
> pain.

Check to see if your saddle's level. If it's tilted down even slightly at the front, neck & shoulder
pain are a likely result.

Other issues could be your saddle choice (yes, strange as it may seem, saddles can influence quite a
few things, because it affects your ability/willingness to rotate over the front... if you have
trouble there, then you tend to arch your back in order to reach the bars, which is a bad thing),
the drop in height from the seat to the bars, and the overall reach from seat to bars.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Also check from time to time to see if you're tensing up your shoulders during the ride. I ride
without suspension and find that, as the ride goes on, I sometimes subconsciously tense up my
shoulders and elbows to ease up the shock of road bumps. Inevitably, this gives me soreness in these
spots. I find that if I make an effort to relax these muscles every ten minutes or so, I can avoid
the pain on long hauls.

"Andy Kriger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Like the subject says, I get neck and shoulder pain late into a long ride.
I
> figure it's either my seat position or my body position. I realize some
pain
> is inevitable from sitting in one position for a long period of time, but
I'm
> hoping folks can offer pointers on what/how I need to adjust to minimize
the
> pain.
>
> thx andy

In article <[email protected]>, "NY Rides"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Also check from time to time to see if you're tensing up your shoulders during the ride. I ride
> without suspension and find that, as the ride goes on, I sometimes subconsciously tense up my
> shoulders and elbows to ease up the shock of road bumps. Inevitably, this gives me soreness in
> these spots. I find that if I make an effort to relax these muscles every ten minutes or so, I can
> avoid the pain on long hauls.
>
> "Andy Kriger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Like the subject says, I get neck and shoulder pain late into a long ride.
> I
> > figure it's either my seat position or my body position. I realize some
> pain
> > is inevitable from sitting in one position for a long period of time, but
> I'm
> > hoping folks can offer pointers on what/how I need to adjust to minimize
> the
> > pain.
> >
> > thx andy

I get some pain too, the best thing is to stretch. There are some really good stretches for the neck
and back. It really is more of a problem earlier in the season when you're not used to longer rides.
I find it's better already.

Andy Kriger <[email protected]> wrote:
> Like the subject says, I get neck and shoulder pain late into a long ride. I figure it's either my
> seat position or my body position. I realize some pain is inevitable from sitting in one position
> for a long period of time, but I'm hoping folks can offer pointers on what/how I need to adjust to
> minimize the pain.

How high are your handlebars relative to the top of the saddle? Often raising the bars will help.
Also, if you wear glasses or have a helmet visor, you may be tilting your head way back to see the
road. That will do a number on your neck. Sounds like you might benefit from a fit session.

Art Harris

On Mon, 19 May 2003 19:28:14 GMT, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:

>Also, if you wear glasses or have a helmet visor, you may be tilting your head way back to see the
>road. That will do a number on your neck. Sounds like you might benefit from a fit session.

Give in to the Dark Side, young Jedi! Wind resistance is futile :)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.