Neck and shoulder pain during a long ride

Andy Kriger

Guest
Like the subject says, I get neck and shoulder pain late into a long ride. I figure it's either my
seat position or my body position. I realize some pain is inevitable from sitting in one position
for a long period of time, but I'm hoping folks can offer pointers on what/how I need to adjust to
minimize the pain.

thx andy

> Like the subject says, I get neck and shoulder pain late into a long ride.
> figure it's either my seat position or my body position. I realize some
pain
> is inevitable from sitting in one position for a long period of time, but
I'm
> hoping folks can offer pointers on what/how I need to adjust to minimize
the
> pain.

Check to see if your saddle's level. If it's tilted down even slightly at the front, neck & shoulder
pain are a likely result.

Other issues could be your saddle choice (yes, strange as it may seem, saddles can influence quite a
few things, because it affects your ability/willingness to rotate over the front... if you have
trouble there, then you tend to arch your back in order to reach the bars, which is a bad thing),
the drop in height from the seat to the bars, and the overall reach from seat to bars.

Also check from time to time to see if you're tensing up your shoulders during the ride. I ride
without suspension and find that, as the ride goes on, I sometimes subconsciously tense up my
shoulders and elbows to ease up the shock of road bumps. Inevitably, this gives me soreness in these
spots. I find that if I make an effort to relax these muscles every ten minutes or so, I can avoid
the pain on long hauls.

"Andy Kriger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Like the subject says, I get neck and shoulder pain late into a long ride.
> figure it's either my seat position or my body position. I realize some
pain
> is inevitable from sitting in one position for a long period of time, but
I'm
> hoping folks can offer pointers on what/how I need to adjust to minimize
the
> pain.
>
> thx andy

In article <[email protected]>, "NY Rides"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Also check from time to time to see if you're tensing up your shoulders during the ride. I ride
> without suspension and find that, as the ride goes on, I sometimes subconsciously tense up my
> shoulders and elbows to ease up the shock of road bumps. Inevitably, this gives me soreness in
> these spots. I find that if I make an effort to relax these muscles every ten minutes or so, I can
> avoid the pain on long hauls.
>
> "Andy Kriger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Like the subject says, I get neck and shoulder pain late into a long ride.
> > figure it's either my seat position or my body position. I realize some
> pain
> > is inevitable from sitting in one position for a long period of time, but
> I'm
> > hoping folks can offer pointers on what/how I need to adjust to minimize
> the
> > pain.
> >
> > thx andy

I get some pain too, the best thing is to stretch. There are some really good stretches for the neck
and back. It really is more of a problem earlier in the season when you're not used to longer rides.
I find it's better already.

Andy Kriger <[email protected]> wrote:
> Like the subject says, I get neck and shoulder pain late into a long ride. I figure it's either my
> seat position or my body position. I realize some pain is inevitable from sitting in one position
> for a long period of time, but I'm hoping folks can offer pointers on what/how I need to adjust to
> minimize the pain.

How high are your handlebars relative to the top of the saddle? Often raising the bars will help.
Also, if you wear glasses or have a helmet visor, you may be tilting your head way back to see the
road. That will do a number on your neck. Sounds like you might benefit from a fit session.

Art Harris

On Mon, 19 May 2003 19:28:14 GMT, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:

>Also, if you wear glasses or have a helmet visor, you may be tilting your head way back to see the
>road. That will do a number on your neck. Sounds like you might benefit from a fit session.

Give in to the Dark Side, young Jedi! Wind resistance is futile :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.