Neck hurts - any sugestions?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Balin, Son of Fundin, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. Hi Guys,
    Sometimes I have a aching "crick" that I seem to get after being on the bike
    for an hour or so. Once I start to get this I have to sit up every five
    minutes or so for a few seconds. It seems to be at the very bottom of my
    neck where it joins the shoulders on the left side. My bike seems to fit
    okay - I have no other problems other than this annoying quible. I have the
    problem on my summer and winter bikes. Is it me the rider who has a
    weakness in this area that'll get better with training? Or is it
    incorrectly set up?

    Would like to hear any comments.
    Regards,
    BSOF

    Tags:

  2. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Balin, Son of Fundin wrote:
    > Sometimes I have a aching "crick" that I seem to get after being on the bike
    > for an hour or so. Once I start to get this I have to sit up every five
    > minutes or so for a few seconds. It seems to be at the very bottom of my
    > neck where it joins the shoulders on the left side. My bike seems to fit
    > okay - I have no other problems other than this annoying quible. I have the
    > problem on my summer and winter bikes. Is it me the rider who has a
    > weakness in this area that'll get better with training? Or is it
    > incorrectly set up?

    It's incorrectly set up. You need a bike set up with the pedals at the
    front, and with a comfy reclining seat instead of a saddle, so that you
    can comfortably look forward without developing a crick in your neck.

  3. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Balin, Son of Fundin <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Hi Guys,

    : problem on my summer and winter bikes. Is it me the rider who has a
    : weakness in this area that'll get better with training? Or is it
    : incorrectly set up?

    How long have you been riding like this, and has this just started
    or has it always done this. I'd suggest bars too low as a first
    guess myself.

    Arhtur

    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

  4. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > It's incorrectly set up. You need a bike set up with the pedals at the
    > front, and with a comfy reclining seat instead of a saddle, so that you
    > can comfortably look forward without developing a crick in your neck.

    I got bitched at for that response last week! Harrumph! ;-)

    Jon

  5. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:39:58 +0000, Jon Senior wrote:

    > I got bitched at for that response last week! Harrumph! ;-)=

    Maybe we should invite Dolan, Gin and JohnnyNoCock to take part in this?
    They'll give you all the bitching you can stand ;-)

    (For confused uk.r.c readers -- if you don't currently read a.r.b.r then
    you made the correct decision, or non-decision as the case may be.)

    Mike

  6. Paul Rose

    Paul Rose Guest

    "Balin, Son of Fundin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi Guys,
    > Sometimes I have a aching "crick" that I seem to get after being on the

    bike
    > for an hour or so. Once I start to get this I have to sit up every five
    > minutes or so for a few seconds. It seems to be at the very bottom of my
    > neck where it joins the shoulders on the left side. My bike seems to fit
    > okay - I have no other problems other than this annoying quible. I have

    the
    > problem on my summer and winter bikes. Is it me the rider who has a
    > weakness in this area that'll get better with training? Or is it
    > incorrectly set up?
    >
    > Would like to hear any comments.
    > Regards,
    > BSOF

    I have recently posted a similar plea for help. See the Aching Shoulders
    thread for advice given. I had the same problem with my new bike. I rose the
    seat a couple of inches and the neck / shoulder pain went!

    --
    Regards, Paul (R)
    My Lake District walking site:

  7. Paul Rose

    Paul Rose Guest

    "Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Danny Colyer wrote:
    > > It's incorrectly set up. You need a bike set up with the pedals at the
    > > front, and with a comfy reclining seat instead of a saddle, so that you
    > > can comfortably look forward without developing a crick in your neck.

    > I got bitched at for that response last week! Harrumph! ;-)
    >
    > Jon

    I wonder who that could have been! ;o)

    --

  8. Balin, Son of Fundin wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    > Sometimes I have a aching "crick" that I seem to get after being on the bike
    > for an hour or so. Once I start to get this I have to sit up every five
    > minutes or so for a few seconds. It seems to be at the very bottom of my
    > neck where it joins the shoulders on the left side. My bike seems to fit
    > okay - I have no other problems other than this annoying quible. I have the
    > problem on my summer and winter bikes. Is it me the rider who has a
    > weakness in this area that'll get better with training? Or is it
    > incorrectly set up?
    >
    > Would like to hear any comments.
    > Regards,
    > BSOF

    Does it feel like a burning crick or a stabbing crick? If it's a
    burning sensation then it is more likely to be a repetitive strain I.E.
    something you do all the time, like using a computer for long periods,
    that is exacerbated by one type of action. If it's a stabbing pain it
    would more likely be a tear in the muscle which is being teased. You
    often find this sort of injury caused by chin ups or weight exercises
    you may have to live with it. I have a similar injury which is now 12
    years old and is very painful, added to my crushed heals, caused by
    cross decking in a high sea, I have many pains that I just have to live
    with. Thought your not wearing a rucksack are you?
    Sniper8052