Neck & lower back discomfort

mikdes

Aug 11, 2004
Well, I've recently started cycling and have begun with a few short rides. I'm out of shape and have limited the rides to short ones. My goal is to eventually commute.

My legs have felt pretty good, but my neck & lower back have hurt a bit. I think it's just a matter of getting my muscles "tuned up" as I'm not used to the position. I'm hoping it's not that my posture is bad or my bike isn't the right fit. The bike seems pretty comfy.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Is it muscles that hurt or is it deeper than that? If its just sore muscles, they will build up in time and gradually stop hurting. If you think it may be a vertabre or disk thing, go see your doctor! Maybe stop by the best bike shop in town too to get fitted to your bike. That can make a HUGE difference.

I agree with Birdie, but I have also found that if I keep good posture on the bike I feel better and do better. If keep my back straight, rather than slouch in the saddle, pedaling feels easier and I usually have a slightly faster average speed. However, I have also found that there is a difference between keeping my back straight and keeping it tense. Tense causes sore back muscles later on.