Neck pain - what causes it?

mds2076

Jul 27, 2004
Having been sold a frame which was too small and ending up with knee pain after riding 30km or so, I now have the largest size full suspension frame which has solved that problem. But, now I'm getting bad neck pain after 20km or so. My guess is it's something to do with seat and handlebar position (what else could it be?).
My other bike (rigid frame) gives no pain even after 100km but being totally different to the duallie in layout and parts I can't just place everything in the same position....surely there's an ideal position for everything to fit me correctly. Any experts on bike fit want to comment?

mds2076 said:
Having been sold a frame which was too small and ending up with knee pain after riding 30km or so, I now have the largest size full suspension frame which has solved that problem. But, now I'm getting bad neck pain after 20km or so. My guess is it's something to do with seat and handlebar position (what else could it be?).
My other bike (rigid frame) gives no pain even after 100km but being totally different to the duallie in layout and parts I can't just place everything in the same position....surely there's an ideal position for everything to fit me correctly. Any experts on bike fit want to comment?

Seems strange - the Dual sus should be causing less fatigue! It has to be your position, your weight should be evenly distributed, try moving the saddle back and forth or new stems - most bike shops have cheap old stems laying around so you could test out different positions or you could spend a 10er on an adjustable touring stem to alter rise.
good luck!

Upright, diamond-frame, racing style bikes are a big source of neck pain. Try a recumbent! Guaranteed cure for neck, shoulder, crotch, and arm pain.

TD

My mother-in-law causes me a pain in the neck.
But seriously, when I ride I try to change positions frequently. Elbows in/out. Hands parallel/perpendicular. Head up/down. Left/right arm behind my back. Shoulders foward/back. Anything to keep from staying in the same position for along time.