Neck shoulder pain

zaskar

Aug 3, 2003
after 3 hours of riding the right side of my neck near top of my shoulder hurts, after 4 hours it's almost unbearable, if i turn my head right to look behind me it burns realy bad. i was fit on the bike at lbs. the pain is only around the 3 hour plus, since the fit i also reversed the stem so it has a rise rather then flat. the lbs when i did the fit also installed a shorter stem. any ideas?
it is only on the right side, i also try to keep my shoulders relaxed and i raise up to do little stretches and move my neck around but still hurts.

I get the same thing. Less often these days...

Since I've started regular massage and chiro, I get it much less. I also use tennis balls under my butt for massage. Its amazing how much extra movement you get when you grind the knots out of those huge muscles.

Originally posted by zaskar
after 3 hours of riding the right side of my neck near top of my shoulder hurts, after 4 hours it's almost unbearable, if i turn my head right to look behind me it burns realy bad. i was fit on the bike at lbs. the pain is only around the 3 hour plus, since the fit i also reversed the stem so it has a rise rather then flat. the lbs when i did the fit also installed a shorter stem. any ideas?
it is only on the right side, i also try to keep my shoulders relaxed and i raise up to do little stretches and move my neck around but still hurts.

Well, my problem is even worse. Usually after ONLY one hour riding my neck pain starts and gets worse and worse until it's almost unbearable. The only difference is that my pain is on the left side of my neck, near the top of my shoulder. I also try to relax my muscles and also do little stretches. Any help??

Did you just get a new bike? Or on it after a long break? I noticed same problem when I got the road bike with sti shifters. I'm convinced it has to do with the muscles used to shift the gears on the back (which i do more than on the front--which uses the left side). I suppose the only true way to determine this would be to switch them up--haha, just kidding!

Anyhow, it goes away after a while. I work on my core strength and doing nice long flat rides that don't require too much shifting to relieve that. I have Shimano 105 shifters too, and I think the Ultegras might be easier to shift....

blah blah blah ... should be working right now..

Originally posted by blackjack843
Well, my problem is even worse. Usually after ONLY one hour riding my neck pain starts and gets worse and worse until it's almost unbearable. The only difference is that my pain is on the left side of my neck, near the top of my shoulder. I also try to relax my muscles and also do little stretches. Any help??

i have 304 hours on this bike and i still have the pain , not as bad but still hurts. i havent found a solution yet sounds like same problem you have, if i solve it ill let you know so far i just been living with it some days are worse then others.

This may or may not help but try taking less weight on your hands. Try to hold your position with your lower back muscles so that your hands are just lightly resting on the bars.
Don't expect to be able to do this for 4 hours straight off, you will need to work up to that, and you will probably have some lower back discomfort initially.

zaskar said:
i have 304 hours on this bike and i still have the pain , not as bad but still hurts. i havent found a solution yet sounds like same problem you have, if i solve it ill let you know so far i just been living with it some days are worse then others.

This thread has been dead for a little while, but I thought I'd take the chance someone was still interested. I experience the same thing, for me it starts at the shoulder blade and works its way to my neck and down my right arm when its really bad. It used to start at around 60-70 miles, but its been getting worse.
I think it has more to do with work than with cycling - raise your hands everyone who has this and uses a computer for a living. I believe its tendonitis from mousing and its even got a name- mouse shoulder. I've stopped using a mouse completely and gone to a drawing tablet and I'm trying to make other adjustements to my workspace that will take the stress of my shoulder.
So far it hasn't improved enough for my tastes (I like to do century rides and don't like to have my arm/shoulder/neck start burning half way through) so I've given in and am going to see a doctor about it tomorrow. If I learn anything interesting I'll post it here.
I almost forgot I did have some changes made to my bike - I had a longer handlebar stem installed to move my handlebars back a bit and make up for the length of my top tube, which is a bit long for my short arms, but so far that doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. I think I have to take care of the root cause first- I do spend a lot more time in front of a computer than on my bike (How I wish this were reveresed!!).
Eden

Eden said:
This thread has been dead for a little while, but I thought I'd take the chance someone was still interested. I experience the same thing, for me it starts at the shoulder blade and works its way to my neck and down my right arm when its really bad. It used to start at around 60-70 miles, but its been getting worse.
I think it has more to do with work than with cycling - raise your hands everyone who has this and uses a computer for a living. I believe its tendonitis from mousing and its even got a name- mouse shoulder. I've stopped using a mouse completely and gone to a drawing tablet and I'm trying to make other adjustements to my workspace that will take the stress of my shoulder.
So far it hasn't improved enough for my tastes (I like to do century rides and don't like to have my arm/shoulder/neck start burning half way through) so I've given in and am going to see a doctor about it tomorrow. If I learn anything interesting I'll post it here.
I almost forgot I did have some changes made to my bike - I had a longer handlebar stem installed to move my handlebars back a bit and make up for the length of my top tube, which is a bit long for my short arms, but so far that doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. I think I have to take care of the root cause first- I do spend a lot more time in front of a computer than on my bike (How I wish this were reveresed!!).
Eden
I suffer the same burning pain, today it was so intense that I took a shortcut on my morning commute and my lunch ride short. So please do update and let us know what the doctor says.

zaskar said:

If you say you are fit on your bike, you may be lacking in strength on your lower body. Do some strength condition on your core muscles, esp. lower back and abs and you'll see a difference. I had the same problem before and did core training and yoga and saw a whole lot of difference. Good luck! :)

Shreklookalike said:
I suffer the same burning pain, today it was so intense that I took a shortcut on my morning commute and my lunch ride short. So please do update and let us know what the doctor says.

Well, I felt kind of wimpy for going into a doctors office full of sick people to say gee my shoulder hurts after I've been on my bike for 30 miles, but really it has been gettting worse (it used to be after 60 miles or more before I noticed it)and I'm feeling sore just from work more and more often. I would rather stop this now before it becomes chronic and the doctor was quite nice about it.

Since I haven't lost any range of motion and am not experiencing any weakness in the arm she doesn't think I have a pinched nerve, which I gather can cause the same type of shoulder/arm pain. She thought it was musclular and suggested most of the normal stuff, stretching, ice, etc. which I expected. I guess kind of feel like I know the basic things you can do, but what I feel I really need is someone to tell me, do this stretch or this exercise to strengthen these muscles, so I figured I should seek that out (I'm in an HMO so I have to go through my "primary care provider" for a referral if I don't want to pay for everything, which is cool with me since I don't really use it too much, but then I have to bug her if I wan't anything at all which is not so cool) Ah well, so much for me justifiying myself :-}. Can't tell I don't go to the doctor very often eh?

The nice thing though is that we have a pretty progessive health care system out here and she referred my for several massage sessions. She said if that did not help clear it up she could refer me for some type of PT, someone who could look at things like my desk setup and my bike position.

I'll see how the masssage works, and if anything changes or I get any other good info. I'll post it up here.
Eden :eek:

I have been seeing a PT since September, twice a week, working out at a gym doing all the regular cardio/spin/treadmill and weights specifically set up by my PT. I have some relief, but after the weather got nice and I actually started riding outside, it only took a 1 hour ride then the final 30 minutes of drafting my husband (so I couldn't move around much on the bike) I experienced the same old shoulder, neck pain. It hurt like it did at the end of last summer before all those months of PT. Talk about frustrating!

A freind of mine (PT of 30 years) found a chiropracter who uses gentile percussion to realign the spine. I have only gone three times but feel a noticible change in my flexability. The mystery pain in my hip has totallty dissapeared too. I never have been a believer in chiropractic but at this point I figure what have I got to loose? The X-rays showed joint degeneration and arthritis. Nice to hear when I'm turiing 50 in 4 months! I'm planning on seeing my DR to see if MRI or CAT scan can determine better about the degeneration level. MY PT is arranging a visit with another PT (the third one in this treatment) who specializes in bike fitting. So my ultimate plan is to continue riding but with a new position, keep training in the gym, doing the PT specific exercises, finish the chiropractic treatment, do less drafting, ride easier and follow big rides (60-100 miles) with massage therapy. Sounds like a lot but I don't want to give up cycling.

I said I'd post an update so here it is.
I ended up at PT rather than getting massages, which I think is better anyway. My shoulder had started to annoy me all of the time, especially at work, but it is getting better. Though I am a bit stiff and sore from some of the exercies they gave me, it no longer feels like someone is poking me in the shoulder blade all day long, but it does come back with minimal time on the bike. I am getting a new and smaller bike- it should come in this week (Whoohoo, they just called its here!), so I am hoping that the stretches and exercises that I've gotten (I was told that I have pretty weak rotator muscles in my right shoulder) plus the changes I've made at my desk (computer mice are evil and I've thrown mine away!!!) and in my bike will take care of the rest.
I did have one massage and I don't know what happened, but it hurt more than it ever did after that. That night it hurt just pick up a teacup - I had to set it down or drop it! so I haven't repeated the experience.

One thing I definitely did learn that my neck is quite involved thought I hadn't really noticed it. Until it was pointed out to me I hadn't realized that I couldn't turn my head toward my right shoulder very much at all. A lot of stretching has been working that out.
If the bike helps to resolve it even more I'll post another update.
Eden

zaskar said:
Wow! that could so easily be me saying that!

Exactly the same, it sounds!

For the main trigger seems to be the onset of fatigue, basically, when I started to get a bit tired, something happens and the same stinging when I look to the right with the pain in the left side of my neck.

When I say Fatigue, I mean simply not feeling "fresh" anymore, this could be only two hours into a 5 hour enduro that I will finish "comfortably" leg wise.

I can bring it on in an hour If I do a High intensity road ride, hence the fatigue theory.

That how to bring it on, but how the heck do I stop it happening!

Afterwards for days I get this feeling in my right shoulder, where it joins my neck, similar to when a teeshirt has a rough label on the collar.

I also have Movement missing when I look left, minimal and not noticed until highlighted by a chyro.

I am concious that I changed my bars a year or so ago (narow flats to wider risers) and they ARE wider so that is the latest adjustment after a shorter/bigger rise stem i.e.
Amazed that I havnt focussed more on that up to now!

Thing is, if it turns out to be an overuse injury (looking at a previous thread from ARTICLE BOT) am I doing more damage by stretching, which is what the Physion is telling me to do?

My main theory so far has been a habit of falling asleep, stretched out on the sofa with my head on the arm rest to see the telly (allways the same end of the sofa)

I have been mtb racing for 10 years now and only had this problem for the past two.

I am happy that my bike is the right size and fit (bars pending investigation) and 8 years were done with 120mm flat stems and flat narrow bars.

I am pretty sure the risers went on to help the symptoms rather than being the cause.

I have started endurance riding but have been doing that for three years now with the first year being neck pain free.

This is getting complicated so will stop there I think.

Les

I posted a while back and now that I see this thread revived I guess I'll post another update and it's good news. I had started seeing a physical therapist and about 2 weeks ago he gave me a new stretch to do. It sounds kind of weird but, I put 2 tennis balls into a sock and tie it off. The stretch is done on the floor with knees bent, feet flat on the floor and the tennis balls under my back, arms out to the side moving up to over my head if I can. I start with them at my low back, move them to my mid back, and finally to just below my neck. The tennis balls are a bit uncomfortable on the skin, but the abosolute relief its given me is worth it. For the first time in several years I didn't have any problems putting in a pretty hard 4 hours this Sunday. The only thing I felt was a little stiffness the next day. No shoulder pain, no neck pain. Makes me very happy.

LesT said:
Afterwards for days I get this feeling in my right shoulder, where it joins my neck, similar to when a teeshirt has a rough label on the collar.

I also have Movement missing when I look left, minimal and not noticed until highlighted by a chyro.
Wow me too, except it's the right shoulder and lack of full range when I look to the right, which as with yourself I had not noticed until it was pointed out to me by the PT, but the description of it feeling like a rough label is spot on! In fact for a while I kept trying to cut the darn things off. That was one of the hardest things to describe to doctor too.
My own theory about the overuse was that it was from a computer mouse, so I switched to a drawing tablet and I got a smaller bike and I started seeing a PT - but I'm pretty much over it now, so my next visit will probably be my last yeah!

What do you actually do with the tennis balls Eden?

Roll over them, pulling youself with your feet?

I haven only just found this site after being proded and guessed at by an NHS (national health service in England) physio.

Hopefully, figuring this out myself, at least with the help of this forum is the key!

Thanks!

Mine is a bit more difficult to time.

I can do a leasurely ride all day and no problems.

It depends a lot on how much I move around on the bike and it is a nightmare to guage how well the physio is doing.

She gets frustrated I think coz no ammount of poking and prodding is ever going to bring it on in a half hour session.

LesT said:
What do you actually do with the tennis balls Eden?

Roll over them, pulling youself with your feet?

I haven only just found this site after being proded and guessed at by an NHS (national health service in England) physio.

Hopefully, figuring this out myself, at least with the help of this forum is the key!

Thanks!
Its just a stretch over the tennis balls. I was told I don't have enough mobility my upper back - I round forward too much so I need a backward stretch. I usually start sitting feet flat, knees bent, tennis balls on the floor (a yoga mat is nice to use if you have one) and gingerly-those tennis balls are hard!- lower myself down until my back is on the tennis balls and my head is on the floor. Arms out to the side and hold for 15 or 20 seconds, move the tennis balls repeat. I usually do this in the morning, before I ride, after I ride and before I go to bed.

Cheers Eden I will try anything once although I cant see why it needs to be tennis balls!

How long did it take for any results to show?

I Have just Put the old Flat bars back on my MTB (odd thing to do but worth a try
seeing as I have been fine with them for 8 years before risers) and cut them
to fit my shoulders exactly as well as carefully measuring from bar tips to
saddle on each side.
If anything a slight improvement and after a really hard run (2 hours + 3rd
day on the trot) my neck only just started to twinge slightly.
I guess its going to take some time whatever I do as I have had the problem
for just over a year now.

LesT said:
Cheers Eden I will try anything once although I cant see why it needs to be tennis balls!

How long did it take for any results to show?

I Have just Put the old Flat bars back on my MTB (odd thing to do but worth a try
seeing as I have been fine with them for 8 years before risers) and cut them
to fit my shoulders exactly as well as carefully measuring from bar tips to
saddle on each side.
If anything a slight improvement and after a really hard run (2 hours + 3rd
day on the trot) my neck only just started to twinge slightly.
I guess its going to take some time whatever I do as I have had the problem
for just over a year now.
I'm not sure if it needs to be tennis balls, but its working really well, so if it ain't broke don't fix it I guess. I actually started out the first couple of days with a rolled up hand towel, because I didn't have any tennis balls, but I think at very least something hard does work better.
Amazingly it only took about a week for it to feel much much better. I had it pretty bad when I started going to the PT. Pretty muchalwaysfelt like someone was sticking their finger under my shoulder blade. I changed a lot of things (no more computer mouse, new smaller, lighter bike, lots of PT) and before I started the tennis ball stretch it had gotten better to the point where it was just the bike (about 1.5 to 2 hrs would start it twinging) and certain movements like pushing or pulling something heavy and things that required twisting with my arm out like pouring from a pitcher and stirring, especially stir frying would set it off. Plus it was still difficult to turn my head all of the way to the right. After about a week with the tennis balls I could turn my head all of the way, most of the time, and even a good hard 4hrs in the saddle only left me with a little stiffness and no pain.
Of course everyone is different, but I hope this is helpful. Its done wonders for me.