neck surgery

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Michael, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hello.

    I recently had an MRI done. It showed a "bulging disk" and my doctor recommended surgery.

    I am experiencing numbness , tingling on my right side of the body.

    my right arm is significantly weaker that my left.

    this seems to be work related ( computer programmer ) and the insurance company is evaluating it.

    to be honest with you , I am scared. from the MRI I can see that there is noway physical therapy can
    take the pressure off the spinal cord.

    I would like to hear from people who have done it and /or know about this process.

    any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.

    thanks Michael

    Tags:

  2. Curiosity

    Curiosity Guest

    On 18 Feb 2004 22:04:49 -0800, [email protected] (michael) wrote:

    >Hello.
    >
    >I recently had an MRI done. It showed a "bulging disk" and my doctor recommended surgery.
    >
    >I am experiencing numbness , tingling on my right side of the body.
    >
    >my right arm is significantly weaker that my left.
    >
    >this seems to be work related ( computer programmer ) and the insurance company is evaluating it.
    >
    >to be honest with you , I am scared. from the MRI I can see that there is noway physical therapy
    >can take the pressure off the spinal cord.
    >
    >I would like to hear from people who have done it and /or know about this process.
    >
    >any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.
    >
    >thanks Michael
    Three years ago I spent 2 days in a Spainish hospital on a morphine drip because of intense
    neck pain.

    Back in the UK an MRI scan showed two bulging disks and some bone spurs. The neuro surgeon suggested
    it was best not to operate "if I could live with it". I find I can live with it if I am careful and
    take medication at the first signs of muscle spasm associated with the nerve compression.

    Best of Luck

    Paul

  3. Curiosity <[email protected]_things.com> wrote:

    >On 18 Feb 2004 22:04:49 -0800, [email protected] (michael) wrote:
    >
    >>Hello.
    >>
    >>I recently had an MRI done. It showed a "bulging disk" and my doctor recommended surgery.
    >>
    >>I am experiencing numbness , tingling on my right side of the body.
    >>
    >>my right arm is significantly weaker that my left.
    >>
    >>this seems to be work related ( computer programmer ) and the insurance company is evaluating it.
    >>
    >>to be honest with you , I am scared. from the MRI I can see that there is noway physical therapy
    >>can take the pressure off the spinal cord.
    >>
    >>I would like to hear from people who have done it and /or know about this process.
    >>
    >>any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >>thanks Michael
    >Three years ago I spent 2 days in a Spainish hospital on a morphine drip because of intense
    >neck pain.
    >
    >Back in the UK an MRI scan showed two bulging disks and some bone spurs. The neuro surgeon
    >suggested it was best not to operate "if I could live with it". I find I can live with it if I am
    >careful and take medication at the first signs of muscle spasm associated with the nerve
    >compression.
    >
    >Best of Luck
    >
    >Paul

    If there is neurological deficit (specific muscle weakness, reflex change, and/or sensory loss) and
    nonsurgical treatment (traction, medicines, physical therapy) has not been effective; and if the
    level of the disc compression agrees with the neurological deficit, surgery is indicated.

    Properly chosen, and properly done, such surgery is effective in 90% of cases. Make sure that the
    surgeon is experienced; usually that means a Board-certified neurosurgeon.

    Best,

    Bob

    Robert A. Fink, M.D., FACS, P. C. 2500 Milvia Street Suite 222 Berkeley, California 94704-2636 USA

    Telephone: 510-849-2555 FAX: 510-849-2557 <http://www.rafink.com>

    "Ex Tristitia Virtus"

    --------------------------------------
    NOTE: The above message is not to be considered as "medical advice". Medical advice can be given
    only after a "hands-on" examination of the patient by a physician.

  4. Anon

    Anon Guest

    On 2004-02-21 15:50:03 -0500, [email protected] (KyroDoc) said:

    > Finf yourself a skilled, reputable (insert wise crack here Jeff) :eek:) chiropractor young man.

    I'll save the wisecracks. Most herniated discs will regress on their own, given enough time and
    proper conservative therapy. If all else has failed and you're ready to try chiropractic, see your
    family doctor for a recommendation. Most F.P.s can recommend a good chiropractor in your area if
    it's appropriate. Any safe, conservative treatment is worth a try before having surgery for your
    back pain.

  5. Anon

    Anon Guest

    On 2004-02-22 20:04:52 -0500, [email protected] (KyroDoc) said:

    > There are a tremendous number of patients being managed medically for a variety of problems who
    > should have been to the chiropractors office first.

    I'm sure you think so. Not everyone would agree with you, however.

    Interested parties may want to visit http://www.chirobase.org to educate themselves.

  6. anon wrote:
    > On 2004-02-22 20:04:52 -0500, [email protected] (KyroDoc) said:
    >
    >> There are a tremendous number of patients being managed medically for a variety of problems who
    >> should have been to the chiropractors office first.
    >

    > I'm sure you think so. Not everyone would agree with you, however.
    >
    > Interested parties may want to visit http://www.chirobase.org to educate themselves.

    You're very, um diplomatic! ;-)

    Steve