Neckar Valley Germany

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Paul, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi,

    Has anyone toured in the Neckar Valley area of Germany? Do you recommend it? What is budget hotel
    accommodation like in the area? We're thinking of going in late June. Is this an OK time?

    Any help appreciated.

    Paul.

    Tags:

  2. I cycled it from Mannheim to Stuttgart. It's very nice, but complicated. You will need the cycling
    Map, of which there are numerous versions. I only stayed in one place, which was Mossbach, where
    there is a nice cheap hotel. We did it all in 2 days, but it was a long haul from Mossbach to
    Stuttgart.

    The Romantische Strasse (Romantic Road) is a better cycle.

  3. Mark Boyd

    Mark Boyd Guest

    On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Paul wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone toured in the Neckar Valley area of Germany? Do you recommend it? What is budget hotel
    > accommodation like in the area? We're thinking of going in late June. Is this an OK time?

    The Nekarweg is very nice, although it does have some bits that are 'under construction' and some
    dirt paths that are no problem on a touring bike.

    This a very pretty area of Germany and a popular place for German tourists. It isn't an inexpensive
    place to tour, but lodging in Germany is usually less expensive than lodging in the US.

    I rode part of the Nekarweg in late June of 2002. The weather there was mixed that summer with
    alternating cloudy days, rainy days and sunny days. Last summer, it was sunny, and a bit hot,
    through that period. Next summer? Who knows.

    Mark <www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/bicycling.html

  4. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Paul G? writes:

    > Has anyone toured in the Neckar Valley area of Germany? Do you recommend it? What is budget hotel
    > accommodation like in the area? We're thinking of going in late June. Is this an OK time?

    I haven't done it in a while but I rode B14 from Stuttgart to Schaffhausen on my early bicycle tours
    in the Alps mainly as a way of getting there. It's a one day ride and rambles through rural
    countryside as well as passing Oberndorf, the home of Mauser instruments and formerly the weapons
    maker, and Trossingen the home of Hohner harmonicas and accordions. At that time there was no
    parallel Autobahn but that is now the main arterial leaving B14 pretty quiet.

    Just the same, I found riding along the Main from Aschaffenburg to Würzburg through lovely vineyards
    and small town with much history a far more enjoyable route.

    However, my preference is the Alps as is told at:

    http://tinyurl.com/adls

    Jobst Brandt [email protected]