Nectarine: Remove flesh from core

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Caryn, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. Caryn

    Caryn Guest

    I have this recipe for caramelised nectarine. I need to cut the
    nectarine into half and remove the flesh from the core. I tried a
    couple of time, but the flesh is stuck to the core and I ended up
    squashing the nectarine. I used white flesh nectarine. Not sure if it
    would be easier with the yellow flesh one. How do I remove the flesh
    from the core?

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (Caryn) asks....
    >I have this recipe for caramelised
    >nectarine. I need to cut the nectarine into
    >half and remove the flesh from the
    >core...How do I remove the flesh from
    >the core?

    Because nectarines have pitted pits, just as do clingstone peaches, you
    must simply use a small sharp knife to cut the pit out rather than
    popping it out as you would with an apricot.

    Picky ~JA~

  3. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-01-12, Caryn <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have this recipe for caramelised nectarine. I need to cut the
    > nectarine into half and remove the flesh from the core. I tried a
    > couple of time, but the flesh is stuck to the core and I ended up
    > squashing the nectarine. I used white flesh nectarine. Not sure if it
    > would be easier with the yellow flesh one. How do I remove the flesh
    > from the core?

    There are both freestone and cling white nectarines. Since you obviously
    have clings, you need a pitting spoon. You cut the fruit in half then
    remove the pit from the nectarine half, as opposed to removing the flesh
    from the pit. Here's a pitting spoon:

    http://www.applesource.com/peachspoon.html

    nb

  4. The Joneses

    The Joneses Guest

    notbob wrote:

    > On 2005-01-12, Caryn <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I have this recipe for caramelised nectarine. I need to cut the
    > > nectarine into half and remove the flesh from the core. I tried a
    > > couple of time, but the flesh is stuck to the core and I ended up
    > > squashing the nectarine. I used white flesh nectarine. Not sure if it
    > > would be easier with the yellow flesh one. How do I remove the flesh
    > > from the core?

    > There are both freestone and cling white nectarines. Since you obviously
    > have clings, you need a pitting spoon. You cut the fruit in half then
    > remove the pit from the nectarine half, as opposed to removing the flesh
    > from the pit. Here's a pitting spoon:
    > http://www.applesource.com/peachspoon.html

    Hmm, would a grapefruit spoon work here? Practicing no single use items in
    the kitchen except for the fire extinguisher.
    Edrena