Neeb question on Forks and Stems...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tacomaboy, May 8, 2003.

  1. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    I want to add a suspension fork to my finaces bike. I removed the Stem and took a look at the
    steering tube. It looks to be a threaded ~5.5" tube. Can I replace the fork with a non threaded fork
    if I replace the steering tube as well? What is needed to do this conversion? If it is not possible,
    what sort of low end suspension fork would work in this bike?

    Tags:

  2. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    "Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I want to add a suspension fork to my finaces bike. I removed the Stem
    and
    > > took a look at the steering tube. It looks to be a threaded ~5.5" tube. Can I replace the fork
    > > with a non threaded fork if I replace the
    steering
    > > tube as well? What is needed to do this conversion? If it is not
    possible,
    > > what sort of low end suspension fork would work in this bike?
    >
    > 5.5" steerer - that's serious overbuilding!
    >
    > You will need to replace the fork, stem and headset. Your steerer diameter will be one of: 1"
    > (almost entirely obselete now); 1.125" (pretty much standard); 1.25" (AFAIK totally obselete)
    > [There are 1.5" steerers about, but only on heavy-duty bikes with long travel front suspension].
    > If your steerer is not 1.125", you will have trouble finding a fork - although there are 1"
    > steerer forks around (notably Pace). You will need to replace the headset, cut the fork steerer to
    > the correct length and put it all together. I can give detailed instructions if you need them.

    Yes its 1 1/8" in diameter, I meant 5.5" long, sorry. I would really like to set this rigid bike up
    with a front suspension fork. Would it be wisest just to find a 1.125" threaded suspension fork so I
    dont have to replace the stem and headset?

  3. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | "Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | > "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:<[email protected]>...
    | > > I want to add a suspension fork to my finaces bike. I removed the
    Stem
    | and
    | > > took a look at the steering tube. It looks to be a threaded ~5.5"
    tube.
    | > > Can I replace the fork with a non threaded fork if I replace the
    | steering
    | > > tube as well? What is needed to do this conversion? If it is not
    | possible,
    | > > what sort of low end suspension fork would work in this bike?
    | >
    | > 5.5" steerer - that's serious overbuilding!
    | >
    | > You will need to replace the fork, stem and headset. Your steerer diameter will be one of: 1"
    | > (almost entirely obselete now); 1.125" (pretty much standard); 1.25" (AFAIK totally obselete)
    | > [There are 1.5" steerers about, but only on heavy-duty bikes with long travel front
    | > suspension]. If your steerer is not 1.125", you will have trouble finding a fork - although
    | > there are 1" steerer forks around (notably Pace). You will need to replace the headset, cut the
    | > fork steerer to the correct length and put it all together. I can give detailed instructions if
    | > you need them.
    |
    | Yes its 1 1/8" in diameter, I meant 5.5" long, sorry. I would really like to set this rigid bike
    | up with a front suspension fork. Would it be
    wisest
    | just to find a 1.125" threaded suspension fork so I dont have to replace
    the
    | stem and headset?

    Fro practical purposes, you would be best to make the full conversion at this point to the Ahead
    system (threadless) making future changes much easier. It is now difficult to find threaded parts
    and if you start out with a new fork (uncut) you can get any height you need (within reason) by
    using spacers under the stem (usually limited to about 1 inch, depending on the stem you use.)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/6/2003

  4. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > | "Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > | news:[email protected]...
    > | > "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > | news:<[email protected]>...
    > Stem
    > | and
    > tube.
    > | steering
    > | possible,
    > | >
    > | > 5.5" steerer - that's serious overbuilding!
    > | >
    > | > You will need to replace the fork, stem and headset. Your steerer diameter will be one of: 1"
    > | > (almost entirely obselete now); 1.125" (pretty much standard); 1.25" (AFAIK totally obselete)
    > | > [There are 1.5" steerers about, but only on heavy-duty bikes with long travel front
    > | > suspension]. If your steerer is not 1.125", you will have trouble finding a fork - although
    > | > there are 1" steerer forks around (notably Pace). You will need to replace the headset, cut
    > | > the fork steerer to the correct length and put it all together. I can give detailed
    > | > instructions if you need them.
    > |
    > | Yes its 1 1/8" in diameter, I meant 5.5" long, sorry. I would really
    like
    > | to set this rigid bike up with a front suspension fork. Would it be
    > wisest
    > | just to find a 1.125" threaded suspension fork so I dont have to replace
    > the
    > | stem and headset?
    > |

    > Fro practical purposes, you would be best to make the full conversion at this point to the Ahead
    > system (threadless) making future changes much easier. It is now difficult to find threaded parts
    > and if you start out with a new fork (uncut) you can get any height you need (within reason) by
    > using spacers under the stem (usually limited to about 1 inch, depending
    on
    > the stem you use.)
    >

    > ---
    > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    > http://intergalax.com

    > - Release Date: 5/6/2003

    Thats a very helpful suggestion, thank you. I wasn't sure which would be the best plan. Although at
    this point I am thinking of maybe sellign it and getting a new one, since this still ahs cantilever
    brakes (suck), fully rigid, cromo frame, and old Alivio parts. Its usable, but if she intends to
    ride with me often (once this crappy Mexican smoke clears from Central TX), I would like her to have
    a quality ride.

  5. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | Thats a very helpful suggestion, thank you. I wasn't sure which would be the best plan. Although
    | at this point I am thinking of maybe sellign it
    and
    | getting a new one, since this still ahs cantilever brakes (suck), fully rigid, cromo frame, and
    | old Alivio parts. Its usable, but if she intends
    | ride with me often (once this crappy Mexican smoke clears from Central
    TX),
    | I would like her to have a quality ride.

    That is indeed the best plan, as all current model shocks are for only V brakes and/or disc brakes
    as they lack the cable stop for cantilever brakes. That means changing the brake system. If your
    levers and shifters are together, then you have to change the shifting system. If the drive-train
    is 7 speed, you'll have to change out to 8 speed which means a new back wheel most often. See where
    I'm going.

    BTW, you're better off getting a hardtail for her than getting a cheap full suspension bike. (Ref.
    many recent threads involving Travis/Technician)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/6/2003