Neeb question on Forks and Stems...

Tacomaboy

Guest
I want to add a suspension fork to my finaces bike. I removed the Stem and took a look at the
steering tube. It looks to be a threaded ~5.5" tube. Can I replace the fork with a non threaded fork
if I replace the steering tube as well? What is needed to do this conversion? If it is not possible,
what sort of low end suspension fork would work in this bike?

"Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I want to add a suspension fork to my finaces bike. I removed the Stem
and
> > took a look at the steering tube. It looks to be a threaded ~5.5" tube. Can I replace the fork
> > with a non threaded fork if I replace the
steering
> > tube as well? What is needed to do this conversion? If it is not
possible,
> > what sort of low end suspension fork would work in this bike?
>
> 5.5" steerer - that's serious overbuilding!
>
> You will need to replace the fork, stem and headset. Your steerer diameter will be one of: 1"
> (almost entirely obselete now); 1.125" (pretty much standard); 1.25" (AFAIK totally obselete)
> [There are 1.5" steerers about, but only on heavy-duty bikes with long travel front suspension].
> If your steerer is not 1.125", you will have trouble finding a fork - although there are 1"
> steerer forks around (notably Pace). You will need to replace the headset, cut the fork steerer to
> the correct length and put it all together. I can give detailed instructions if you need them.

Yes its 1 1/8" in diameter, I meant 5.5" long, sorry. I would really like to set this rigid bike up
with a front suspension fork. Would it be wisest just to find a 1.125" threaded suspension fork so I
dont have to replace the stem and headset?

"Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| "Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| > "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:<[email protected]>...
| > > I want to add a suspension fork to my finaces bike. I removed the
Stem
| and
| > > took a look at the steering tube. It looks to be a threaded ~5.5"
tube.
| > > Can I replace the fork with a non threaded fork if I replace the
| steering
| > > tube as well? What is needed to do this conversion? If it is not
| possible,
| > > what sort of low end suspension fork would work in this bike?
| >
| > 5.5" steerer - that's serious overbuilding!
| >
| > You will need to replace the fork, stem and headset. Your steerer diameter will be one of: 1"
| > (almost entirely obselete now); 1.125" (pretty much standard); 1.25" (AFAIK totally obselete)
| > [There are 1.5" steerers about, but only on heavy-duty bikes with long travel front
| > suspension]. If your steerer is not 1.125", you will have trouble finding a fork - although
| > there are 1" steerer forks around (notably Pace). You will need to replace the headset, cut the
| > fork steerer to the correct length and put it all together. I can give detailed instructions if
| > you need them.
|
| Yes its 1 1/8" in diameter, I meant 5.5" long, sorry. I would really like to set this rigid bike
| up with a front suspension fork. Would it be
wisest
| just to find a 1.125" threaded suspension fork so I dont have to replace
the
| stem and headset?

Fro practical purposes, you would be best to make the full conversion at this point to the Ahead
system (threadless) making future changes much easier. It is now difficult to find threaded parts
and if you start out with a new fork (uncut) you can get any height you need (within reason) by
using spacers under the stem (usually limited to about 1 inch, depending on the stem you use.)

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 5/6/2003

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Tacomaboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> | "Adam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> | news:[email protected]...
> | > "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> | news:<[email protected]>...
> Stem
> | and
> tube.
> | steering
> | possible,
> | >
> | > 5.5" steerer - that's serious overbuilding!
> | >
> | > You will need to replace the fork, stem and headset. Your steerer diameter will be one of: 1"
> | > (almost entirely obselete now); 1.125" (pretty much standard); 1.25" (AFAIK totally obselete)
> | > [There are 1.5" steerers about, but only on heavy-duty bikes with long travel front
> | > suspension]. If your steerer is not 1.125", you will have trouble finding a fork - although
> | > there are 1" steerer forks around (notably Pace). You will need to replace the headset, cut
> | > the fork steerer to the correct length and put it all together. I can give detailed
> | > instructions if you need them.
> |
> | Yes its 1 1/8" in diameter, I meant 5.5" long, sorry. I would really
like
> | to set this rigid bike up with a front suspension fork. Would it be
> wisest
> | just to find a 1.125" threaded suspension fork so I dont have to replace
> the
> | stem and headset?
> |

> Fro practical purposes, you would be best to make the full conversion at this point to the Ahead
> system (threadless) making future changes much easier. It is now difficult to find threaded parts
> and if you start out with a new fork (uncut) you can get any height you need (within reason) by
> using spacers under the stem (usually limited to about 1 inch, depending
on
> the stem you use.)
>

> ---
> __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
> http://intergalax.com

> - Release Date: 5/6/2003

Thats a very helpful suggestion, thank you. I wasn't sure which would be the best plan. Although at
this point I am thinking of maybe sellign it and getting a new one, since this still ahs cantilever
brakes (suck), fully rigid, cromo frame, and old Alivio parts. Its usable, but if she intends to
ride with me often (once this crappy Mexican smoke clears from Central TX), I would like her to have
a quality ride.

| Thats a very helpful suggestion, thank you. I wasn't sure which would be the best plan. Although
| at this point I am thinking of maybe sellign it
and
| getting a new one, since this still ahs cantilever brakes (suck), fully rigid, cromo frame, and
| old Alivio parts. Its usable, but if she intends
| ride with me often (once this crappy Mexican smoke clears from Central
TX),
| I would like her to have a quality ride.

That is indeed the best plan, as all current model shocks are for only V brakes and/or disc brakes
as they lack the cable stop for cantilever brakes. That means changing the brake system. If your
levers and shifters are together, then you have to change the shifting system. If the drive-train
is 7 speed, you'll have to change out to 8 speed which means a new back wheel most often. See where
I'm going.

BTW, you're better off getting a hardtail for her than getting a cheap full suspension bike. (Ref.
many recent threads involving Travis/Technician)

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 5/6/2003