Need a 17" Touring BIke with 27" Wheels

Rosie Browne

Guest
I am doing a bike across the US for the American Lung Association
starting June 23. I need a touring bike, as the bike I had ordered
for the trip will not be ready. Please let me know if you know of a
dealer that might have this type of bike in their inventory. I will
pay shipping charges. You can reach me at [email protected].

Thanks for your assistance,
Rosie Browne

Rosie Browne wrote:
> I am doing a bike across the US for the American Lung Association
> starting June 23. I need a touring bike, as the bike I had ordered
> for the trip will not be ready. Please let me know if you know of a
> dealer that might have this type of bike in their inventory. I will
> pay shipping charges. You can reach me at [email protected].
>
> Thanks for your assistance,
> Rosie Browne

Bianchi Volpe? Here or any Bianchi dealer. What size bike?
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

On Fri, 30 May 2008 20:53:17 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Rosie Browne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>|I am doing a bike across the US for the American Lung Association
>| starting June 23. I need a touring bike, as the bike I had ordered
>| for the trip will not be ready. Please let me know if you know of a
>| dealer that might have this type of bike in their inventory. I will
>| pay shipping charges. You can reach me at [email protected].
>|
>| Thanks for your assistance,
>| Rosie Browne
>
>Rosie: Where do you live that you're having so much trouble finding such a
>bike?

The clue is in the subject line: 43cm frame, 27" wheels. I'm hoping
she means 700c, not actual 27", but even then it's a tiny bike with
big wheels, unlikely to be in anybody's stock range.
Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

On May 30, 10:38 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Rosie Browne wrote:
> > I am doing a bike across the US for the American Lung Association
> > starting June 23.  I need a touring bike, as the bike I had ordered
> > for the trip will not be ready.  Please let me know if you know of a
> > dealer that might have this type of bike in their inventory.  I will
> > pay shipping charges.  You can reach me at [email protected].

> > Thanks for your assistance,
> > Rosie Browne

> Bianchi Volpe? Here or any Bianchi dealer. What size bike?
> --
> Andrew Muzi
>   <www.yellowjersey.org/>
>   Open every day since 1 April, 1971
> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

50cm - I also need 27" wheels.

On May 30, 10:53 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Rosie Browne" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> |I am doing a bike across the US for the American Lung Association
> | starting June 23.  I need a touring bike, as the bike I had ordered
> | for the trip will not be ready.  Please let me know if you know of a
> | dealer that might have this type of bike in their inventory.  I will
> | pay shipping charges.  You can reach me at [email protected].
> |
> | Thanks for your assistance,
> | Rosie Browne
>
> Rosie: Where do you live that you're having so much trouble finding such a
> bike?
>
> --Mike--     Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I live in Milwaukee, WI. I wanted to order a Trek 520 but Trek will
not be ready with that bike until September. So I am looking for
something ready to buy right now. Since I need a small frame, it's
tough to find a touring bike. Rosie

On May 31, 8:01 am, Rosie Browne <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 30, 10:53 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "Rosie Browne" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > |I am doing a bike across the US for the American Lung Association
> > | starting June 23.  I need a touring bike, as the bike I had ordered
> > | for the trip will not be ready.  Please let me know if you know of a
> > | dealer that might have this type of bike in their inventory.  I will
> > | pay shipping charges.  You can reach me at [email protected].
> > |
> > | Thanks for your assistance,
> > | Rosie Browne

> > Rosie: Where do you live that you're having so much trouble finding sucha
> > bike?

> > --Mike--     Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> I live in Milwaukee, WI.  I wanted to order a Trek 520 but Trek will
> not be ready with that bike until September.  So I am looking for
> something ready to buy right now.  Since I need a small frame, it's
> tough to find a touring bike.  Rosie

There's always the option of turning a hybrid into a touring bike with
new bars, bar-end shifters, and brake levers. A lot of hybrids come in
sizes down to around 45cm or 17-18".

Many Nitto bars have the right 25.4 diameter to fit the existing stem
and Tektro levers will work with vee brakes. However, problem is that
the top tube on many hybrids is a bit long and might be awkward for a
proper woman's fit. For example, a Kona Dew hybrid 45cm has a 52cm top
tube. If you don't have long legs, it's only about $150 worth of
parts to cobble together--and not a bad option at all, but if you're a
classic woman shape, not the best idea.

> Rosie: Where do you live that you're having so much trouble finding such a
> bike?
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

>>I live in Milwaukee, WI. I wanted to order a Trek 520 but Trek will
>>not be ready with that bike until September. So I am looking for
>>something ready to buy right now. Since I need a small frame, it's
>>tough to find a touring bike. Rosie

Yes, bike availability has been a major issue this year. We just snagged the
very last couple 23" bikes a couple days ago before they were gone. I assume
you tried both the Trek store in Madison and the Wheel & Sprocket locations?
Beyond that, I'll put out a note on the dealer e-list and see if anyone else
in WI might have one.

On May 30, 10:53 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Rosie Browne" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> |I am doing a bike across the US for the American Lung Association
> | starting June 23. I need a touring bike, as the bike I had ordered
> | for the trip will not be ready. Please let me know if you know of a
> | dealer that might have this type of bike in their inventory. I will
> | pay shipping charges. You can reach me at [email protected].
> |
> | Thanks for your assistance,
> | Rosie Browne
>
> Rosie: Where do you live that you're having so much trouble finding such a
> bike?
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I live in Milwaukee, WI. I wanted to order a Trek 520 but Trek will
not be ready with that bike until September. So I am looking for
something ready to buy right now. Since I need a small frame, it's
tough to find a touring bike. Rosie

In article
<a2fd8415-0fb6-41d3-9552-6f4a08b88b61@z66g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
Rosie Browne <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am doing a bike across the US for the American Lung Association
> starting June 23. I need a touring bike, as the bike I had ordered
> for the trip will not be ready. Please let me know if you know of a
> dealer that might have this type of bike in their inventory. I will
> pay shipping charges. You can reach me at [email protected].
>
> Thanks for your assistance, Rosie Browne

FWFW 27" wheels ain't gonna happen. Bikes haven't been sold with that
size wheels in close to 20 years. 700C is the norm for touring bikes.
A 17" (43 cm) bike is pretty small and you might actually do better with
one designed for 26" wheels. The frame geometry compromises are
considerable with small bikes and 700C wheels.

You might consider:

http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/bicycle_models#product=50-038

These bikes are well-liked by everyone I've talked to that owns one.
It's usually their favorite bike.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> FWFW 27" wheels ain't gonna happen. Bikes haven't been sold with that
> size wheels in close to 20 years. 700C is the norm for touring bikes.
> A 17" (43 cm) bike is pretty small and you might actually do better with
> one designed for 26" wheels. The frame geometry compromises are
> considerable with small bikes and 700C wheels.
>
> You might consider:
>
> http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/bicycle_models#product=50-038
>
> These bikes are well-liked by everyone I've talked to that owns one.
> It's usually their favorite bike.

I, and I think most of us here, assumed that by "27" she meant "full
size" or 700C.
Since she just left here on a new Bianchi Volpe with Michelin 700-28 it
seems to have worked out OK.
Both sizes are valid but widespread availability of replacement rubber
for her particular planned excursion will be much less trouble with 700C.
--

On May 31, 2:15 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Rosie Browne <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I am doing a bike across the US for the American Lung Association
> >> starting June 23. I need a touring bike,...

> Since she just left here on a new Bianchi Volpe with Michelin 700-28 it
> seems to have worked out OK.

In a "Cycle Oregon" shirt no less.

On May 31, 3:15 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> >  Rosie Browne <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I am doing a bike across the US for the American Lung Association
> >> starting June 23.  I need a touring bike, as the bike I had ordered
> >> for the trip will not be ready.  Please let me know if you know of a
> >> dealer that might have this type of bike in their inventory.  I will
> >> pay shipping charges.  You can reach me at [email protected].
> >> Thanks for your assistance, Rosie Browne

> Tim McNamara wrote:
> > FWFW 27" wheels ain't gonna happen.  Bikes haven't been sold with that
> > size wheels in close to 20 years.  700C is the norm for touring bikes.
> > A 17" (43 cm) bike is pretty small and you might actually do better with
> > one designed for 26" wheels.  The frame geometry compromises are
> > considerable with small bikes and 700C wheels.

> > You might consider:

> >http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/bicycle_models#product=50-038

> > These bikes are well-liked by everyone I've talked to that owns one.
> > It's usually their favorite bike.

> I, and I think most of us here, assumed that by "27" she meant "full
> size" or 700C.
> Since she just left here on a new Bianchi Volpe with Michelin 700-28 it
> seems to have worked out OK.
> Both sizes are valid but widespread availability of replacement rubber
> for her particular planned excursion will be much less trouble with 700C.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
>   <www.yellowjersey.org/>
>   Open every day since 1 April, 1971
> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Good for you Andy, once more, a reason to participate in these goofy
NGs...

On Sat, 31 May 2008 05:59:36 -0700 (PDT), Rosie Browne
<[email protected]> may have said:

>On May 30, 10:38 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Rosie Browne wrote:
>> > I am doing a bike across the US for the American Lung Association
>> > starting June 23.  I need a touring bike, as the bike I had ordered
>> > for the trip will not be ready.  Please let me know if you know of a
>> > dealer that might have this type of bike in their inventory.  I will
>> > pay shipping charges.  You can reach me at [email protected].

>> > Thanks for your assistance,
>> > Rosie Browne

>> Bianchi Volpe? Here or any Bianchi dealer. What size bike?
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi
>>   <www.yellowjersey.org/>
>>   Open every day since 1 April, 1971
>> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

>50cm - I also need 27" wheels.

Why 27"? It's an obsolete size that no current road or touring bike
manufacturer employs. The usual replacement is 700c, which is close
to the same size overall. If this is a tour that requires a 27" tire
size explicitly, you're going to be stuck with trying to find a very
old bike in long-ride condition, which isn't impossible but isn't
certain on short notice.

On Sat, 31 May 2008 16:15:13 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]> may
have said:

>> Rosie Browne <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I am doing a bike across the US for the American Lung Association
>>> starting June 23. I need a touring bike, as the bike I had ordered
>>> for the trip will not be ready. Please let me know if you know of a
>>> dealer that might have this type of bike in their inventory. I will
>>> pay shipping charges. You can reach me at [email protected].
>>> Thanks for your assistance, Rosie Browne

>Tim McNamara wrote:
>> FWFW 27" wheels ain't gonna happen. Bikes haven't been sold with that
>> size wheels in close to 20 years. 700C is the norm for touring bikes.
>> A 17" (43 cm) bike is pretty small and you might actually do better with
>> one designed for 26" wheels. The frame geometry compromises are
>> considerable with small bikes and 700C wheels.
>>
>> You might consider:
>>
>> http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/bicycle_models#product=50-038
>>
>> These bikes are well-liked by everyone I've talked to that owns one.
>> It's usually their favorite bike.

>I, and I think most of us here, assumed that by "27" she meant "full
>size" or 700C.
>Since she just left here on a new Bianchi Volpe with Michelin 700-28 it
>seems to have worked out OK.
>Both sizes are valid but widespread availability of replacement rubber
>for her particular planned excursion will be much less trouble with 700C.

And I was just going to suggest that if she was in Milwaukee, then a
short run out to you guys would probably get her on exactly what she
needed.

A Muzi wrote:

> Since she just left here on a new Bianchi Volpe with Michelin 700-28 it
> seems to have worked out OK.

Good choice. I see that Trek finally corrected the crankset problem on
the 520 after so many years. For 2008 it's 50/39/30, for 2007 it was
52/42/30. The Volpe is 28/38/48T, which is better for loaded touring,
though I really like the 48-36-26t on the Surly LHT.

I notice that the Volpe doesn't have the front low-rider rack braze-ons.
Too bad.

SMS wrote:
> Good choice. I see that Trek finally corrected the crankset problem on
> the 520 after so many years. For 2008 it's 50/39/30, for 2007 it was
> 52/42/30. The Volpe is 28/38/48T, which is better for loaded touring,
> though I really like the 48-36-26t on the Surly LHT.
> I notice that the Volpe doesn't have the front low-rider rack braze-ons.
> Too bad.

Many feel that a banded upper lowrider mount is preferable to a hole in
the fork blade. That's more a quibble than a crisis on an otherwise
exceptional touring bike.

p.s. a subset of Volpe owners ask for 53t outers despite 48x11 = 118 inches!