Need A Big Bike

bigworm

Jul 13, 2003
Hey everyone! I am new to mountian biking and am looking to get into it. Here is my problem. I am very tall. I am 6'9". I think it is going to be difficult to find a bike that can fit me. I want to get something that won't break the bank, but is very good for the money. I am not looking to race or anything but want a nice bike that can be used for just about any situation. Anyone have any suggestions on brands/model that I should take a look at?

Wow, I would go to your local bike shop and have them fit you to a bike, which sould include some measurements not just standing over the bike and having you lift it off of the floor. Then ride as many as you can find until you find something that you like, and has good components, and fits into your price range. As for what brands? Giant, Cannondale, Speciliazed, Trek, Gary Fisher, Kona, and many more.....take your pick. Happy Hunting.

how much do you want to spend? i would have a look at the specialized big hit range, or, something like the giant nrs xtc, which has suspnesion that you can lock out so that you feel like you rididng a hardtail.

I don't want to spend more than probabally 1200 bucks. I tried a connondale jeckyll out and it was really nice, but out of my budget. Are cannondale's overpriced? I really liked it though. I haven't heard too many good things about them on this site, it seems like everyone is into Giants and Specialized.

Cannondale are a very good manufacturer, as are Specialized and Giant. Giant often score very well for value, because they are the biggest bike producer in the world, and therefore can buy components in bulk beyond the dreams of most companies, and get cheap prices.
Cannondale get a bad rap for being expensive. They aren't cheap, it's true, but for the price the frames they make are absolutely beautiful. Some of their technology seems to provoke a love, hate reaction, but I think they should be praised for trying new things. They are also expensive because they're one of the few manufacturer's who don't make their bikes in the far east.

i would have a look at the norco range.
the norco nitro in particular. you can get it in a 19 inch frame and a 21 i think. i have a 17 inch and i am 6 foot and i am telling you these bikes are strong i do 7 foot drops on it and it is still fine.

if you want somthing with some travel in the hind quarters. i would look into a Giant AC large is a 20 inch frame (2002) and they r nice and strong ( i raced 1 for awhile)

I think that a 19" or 21" frame is going to be too small for you. You will probably need a XXL frame, which might be hard to find. Like Frey said Cannondale does get a bad rap for being expensive, but look at them, they are beautiful bikes. This is mine, except for a few changes (seat and pedals) and I love it(did not have enough money for the Jekyll). But anyway the most important thing is that you find a bike and a frame that fits you well and you are comfortable on, and fits in your price range. Giant would have been MY (not everyone's) second choice. They make great bikes and give you a lot of bang for your buck. Good luck.

Bigworm.

For someone your size I would have to highly recommend a 29" wheeled bike. Fishers are probably the most widely available of these, and for that reason the most reasonably priced. I'm only about 6'3" , but I always had the feeling standard 26" wheeled were really too small for me - 29" is wonderful. At 6'9" I'm sure you're even more in that direction. The biggest Fisher has a 25.5" TT, which is pretty long. Even that might not be quite long enough for you (recommended height range is up to 6'4"), but Fisher Genesis series have long TTs and short stems, so you could probably go a bit longer in the stem for greater reach without adversely affecting the handling. You would really have to try it and see. Apart from fitting well, 29"ers also ride much more sweetly than their poor 26" cousins. They roll over rough ground and rocks more easily, store momentum better and thus hold speed well, have a greater gyroscopic effect for staying upright on technical climbs, and just feel right. They accelerate slightly more slowly than 26", and in REALLY tight singletrack aren't quite so maneuverable. See some reviews at www.mtbreview.com for more info.

I had a Cannondale for a number of years, and they are fantastic bikes, certainly the best quality mass produced hard tail out there. Their XL has a 25" TT and that is certainly going to be too small for you. They also have a custom programme but I fear this will be out of your price range.

A custom 29"er would maybe be your best solution, but this will still be more expensive than your current budget. If you can run to around 1500, maybe you could get a custom and build it up with Deore to start, and then upgrade bits as and when you need. You would have to look into which builders (preferably someone near where you live - I assume your stateside and I gather there are a lot of good builders there) will do you a 29 and what sort of price you are looking at. I would guess at least 800.

Good luck bigfella,

Sam

Hey there, I have a jekyll, XL that I'm selling. I'm 6'4" and was able to keep the post down - should be good for a guy your size..... still need it?

Originally posted by kcordes
Hey there, I have a jekyll, XL that I'm selling. I'm 6'4" and was able to keep the post down - should be good for a guy your size..... still need it?

Do you still have it? I am still looking for a bike. Anyone else have anymore suggestions?

I like Allo's idea. You should definately check out a 29 incher, you could probably find a size that fits you.