I believe I may be suffering from information overload. I have read so much over the past few days I feel like I have come full-circle right back to where I started. So here's the deal...
I am 26 and for the past 8 years I have been a pretty avid backpacker. I love just leaving the car behind and walking for days... but lately I have had the desire to try something new. So when a friend asked me to ride the Katy trail (I live in Springfield MO) in a few months, I thought this would be a great chance to kill two birds with one stone and get a bike. I have been thinking about a bike for a while... a crappy car and bad gas mileage will do that to you.
So I made the decision to stop driving so much and start riding a bike. With $500-800 max to spend, I want to get something that would be the best all around bike I could. But it gets harder... I also have plans to do about half of the Colorado Trail this summer... and instead of walking it, I would like to hit the trails with a bike.
So I need something that can:
1. Do the Katy Trail (crushed limestone) with no problems.
2. Get me around town.
3. Do a dirt trail that could get a little nasty at times.
4. Work as a touring bike (keyword: work)
After talking to two bike shops I heard a lot of different things. One place told me it would be best to get a mountain bike and just change the tires as needed. The other place told me a commuter is the way to go...
Now I am in need of a little help from people that aren't trying to sell me something.