need a cycling route around Sydney



eja3

New Member
Jul 9, 2007
5
0
0
I'm in Sydney for a week and have two days to cycle before my conference starts. I have rented a good road bike. I'm bringing my pedals, shoes, and winter/fall gear (?). Now I need a route. I am good for about 100 km per day. Any suggestions?

I was looking in the Blue Mountains but there appears to be few "loops" and only major roads.

I also looked at the South Coast around Royal National Park.

Please help.

Thanks, Eric
 

Night_owl

New Member
Sep 13, 2006
42
0
0
If you don't mind hills, you could also go to northern part of Sydney.

Kuringai chase national park has some good riding. There's some good views to be found on the ride to Akuna Bay.

Or head towards Hornsby. From there you have the choice of riding towards Bobbin Head or down to Galston Gorge.

Although there is some riding to be done on main roads, mostly it is in the national parks where there is little traffic.

Happy riding
 

artemidorus

New Member
Mar 10, 2004
2,307
0
36
Bobbin Head/Galston Gorge/Berowra Waters allow for a "Three Gorges" route that is highly scenic.
West Head is a good ride, and spectacular.
Kurnell is a good flat ride that also offers fine views.
Royal National Park has some good possibilities.
Bikely.com will show you numerous variations of routes through these spots.
 

scotty72

New Member
Jul 10, 2005
815
0
0
Night_owl said:
If you don't mind hills, you could also go to northern part of Sydney.

Kuringai chase national park has some good riding. There's some good views to be found on the ride to Akuna Bay.

Or head towards Hornsby. From there you have the choice of riding towards Bobbin Head or down to Galston Gorge.

Although there is some riding to be done on main roads, mostly it is in the national parks where there is little traffic.

Happy riding
Here is a map of Bike North's version of the 3 Gorges Ride

We also start at Hornsby Station

http://bikenorth.org.au/cycling/rides/ridemap.php?ride=137

Scotty
 

eja3

New Member
Jul 9, 2007
5
0
0
Thanks for the reply. I checked out these rides and they look great for my free weekend! Another few question. If I am staying in Darling Harbor during my conference, is there anyway to get to North Sydney or these areas in the early morning? Would I better off driving and then riding when I get there? How long would it take to drive from Darling Harbor to lets say, Galston Gorge? Is there any other routes closer to the city?

Night_owl said:
If you don't mind hills, you could also go to northern part of Sydney.

Kuringai chase national park has some good riding. There's some good views to be found on the ride to Akuna Bay.

Or head towards Hornsby. From there you have the choice of riding towards Bobbin Head or down to Galston Gorge.

Although there is some riding to be done on main roads, mostly it is in the national parks where there is little traffic.

Happy riding
 

artemidorus

New Member
Mar 10, 2004
2,307
0
36
eja3 said:
Thanks for the reply. I checked out these rides and they look great for my free weekend! Another few question. If I am staying in Darling Harbor during my conference, is there anyway to get to North Sydney or these areas in the early morning? Would I better off driving and then riding when I get there? How long would it take to drive from Darling Harbor to lets say, Galston Gorge? Is there any other routes closer to the city?
The ride across the cyclepath on the western side of the Harbour bridge is beautiful, but the bit along the Pacific Hwy to Hornsby can be daunting. It would be a 30-60min drive from the city to Galston Rd, depending on the time of day.
 

sogood

New Member
Aug 24, 2006
2,148
0
36
Given that you'll be riding on the other side of the road, I'd suggest that you not venture out on those major roads by yourself. It would be much safer to ride with a bunch that has the local knowledge. (Assuming that you are from N America)

From Darling Harbour, it's a short and easy ride to get across to Centennial Park. There are club bunches that leave from there on Sat and Sun mornings eg. Randwick-Botany club. Just ring their ride leader ahead of time and join them. And if you are keen, you can dive into the Royal National Park from Waterfall and exit at Audley for some good climbs. Easily 100km return with some great scenary.

http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/Training Rides.htm

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/RBCC-Centenial-Park-to-Waterfall

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Sutherland-Audley-Waterfall-Sutherland
 

Night_owl

New Member
Sep 13, 2006
42
0
0
Darling harbour is not that far from central railway station. From there you can catch a train up north to Hornsby (to get to Bobbbin head/Galson Gorge ride). Or catch the train to Turramurra ( to ride to Bobbin head & Akuna Bay)

You can get a dailytravel pass for around $15?. It can be used on trains as well as ferries (bikes are free to take on ferries).

During peaktimes a bicycle carries a small charge but off-peak bikes can be taken on trains for free.

If you want some company, centenial park could be a good idea. Or maybe have alook at some local group bike rides.
Bike North seems to have a large variety. There's also a group which rides from Bondi Junction to La Perouse, which seems like a good ride.

Happy riding
 

Night_owl

New Member
Sep 13, 2006
42
0
0
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Scenic-Tour-of-the-Northern-Beaches

Here's a route made up with a mix of my fav routes along the northern Beaches. The only roads to be concerned about are Sussex St & some sections of Pittwater Rd. Aside from that, it's on low-traffic streets and national park road.
It takes you to West head road, which branches off to some good riding.
The Manly ferry is my fav way of getting around Sydney, the views are quite something.
To get out of the national park, keep riding up Mccarr's Creek Rd, til you get up to Mona Vale Rd. Whilst it is a busy road, there is adequate room in the verge to stay safe. From there it is possibible to ride to Turrramurra station (via some side roads) and catch the train back to central.
 

Night_owl

New Member
Sep 13, 2006
42
0
0
BTW I've updated that bikely map a bit.
I'm a bit bias when it comes to Northern sydney, since I live near Dee Why Beach & the national park is a realitively easy ride away.

Happy riding
 

sogood

New Member
Aug 24, 2006
2,148
0
36
Just to clarify this national park thing in Sydney. We have two major ones here, on to the north and one down south. The northern one is called Ku-ring-gai Chase NP while the southern one is called the Royal National Park (RNP).
 

eja3

New Member
Jul 9, 2007
5
0
0
Hi night owl,

Your route looks great and perfect for the early morning. Thanks a ton. Is there anyway to print out the step by step directions on Bikely.com?

Eric


Night_owl said:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Scenic-Tour-of-the-Northern-Beaches

Here's a route made up with a mix of my fav routes along the northern Beaches. The only roads to be concerned about are Sussex St & some sections of Pittwater Rd. Aside from that, it's on low-traffic streets and national park road.
It takes you to West head road, which branches off to some good riding.
The Manly ferry is my fav way of getting around Sydney, the views are quite something.
To get out of the national park, keep riding up Mccarr's Creek Rd, til you get up to Mona Vale Rd. Whilst it is a busy road, there is adequate room in the verge to stay safe. From there it is possibible to ride to Turrramurra station (via some side roads) and catch the train back to central.
 

eja3

New Member
Jul 9, 2007
5
0
0
Nevermind. I figured out the website and got all of the directions. Many thanks. If you are up for riding this route on Monday through Wednesday, let me know.

Eric


Night_owl said:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Scenic-Tour-of-the-Northern-Beaches

Here's a route made up with a mix of my fav routes along the northern Beaches. The only roads to be concerned about are Sussex St & some sections of Pittwater Rd. Aside from that, it's on low-traffic streets and national park road.
It takes you to West head road, which branches off to some good riding.
The Manly ferry is my fav way of getting around Sydney, the views are quite something.
To get out of the national park, keep riding up Mccarr's Creek Rd, til you get up to Mona Vale Rd. Whilst it is a busy road, there is adequate room in the verge to stay safe. From there it is possibible to ride to Turrramurra station (via some side roads) and catch the train back to central.
 

Night_owl

New Member
Sep 13, 2006
42
0
0
I'm glad that you worked it out. I didn't have access to a computer last week, and have just got around to go through my forums & check things out.

I would offer to ride with you, but it sounds like you're a roadie and I'm only a humble hybrid rider (and not a fast one at that).


Happy riding