Need a durable tire don't want to worry about flats when starting out

Ranmandx

Apr 20, 2011
Just getting into biking and really want to avoid flats as much as possible I know nothing is flat proof but really would like to try. I'm getting my bike built up next week and it came with a set of Michelin pro3 race tires. Heard they are great competition tires but really I bought the bike to train and do a lot of cardio this spring summer on country roads in Canada. Wouldn't mind keeping the michelins in case I ever decide to do a fundraising marathon race or small novice competitions. Scoured reviews and recommendations and have had a few suggestions from my lbs. This is what I'm thinking any help would be appreciated. Lbs suggested specialized armadillo elite Continental gatorskin Continental gp 4000s Prices for the gp4000s and the specialized are the same haven't found a price for gatorskins locally yet. My bike is a BMC racemaster SLX01 and the wheels are just mavic aksium.

Luck is the best thing to have when it comes to tires flattening. The tires you listed as possibilitys are good tires that offer some protection against flats. Although the jury is deadlocked over which are the best of those.

I have had good luck with Maxxis Fuse and Detonator tires. Zero flats in two seasons.

I have had fair luck with Hutchinson Fusion II and Intensive Road tires. Three flats with two being in the front.

I have had extremely poor luck with Hutchinson Equinox tires. Countless flats and poor traction in wet conditions.

The worst luck I have had with any tire is Michelin Dynamic. These tires just plain old suck and I would not reccommend. On second thought you may want to get these. You will be an expert of road side flat repair in a week.

Everyone has a favorite and I have had good luck with tires in the 30.00 dollar price range

I don't mind fixing flats on the side of the road but i really don't want to start learning how to handle a bike that has gone flat when i'm still just getting accustomed to riding a road/race bike. Want to become comfortable cycling first and handling myself proficiently and confidently before i start looking at other tires. I have heard the best reviews for the Continental GP 4000s tires and they cost the same as the armadillos 70 dollars a pair here in Canada. I want to leave my michelins for when i become a more experienced rider.

I live in a county in Arizona that doesn't have one mile of bike lane, does not own a street sweeper and the favorite hobby on weekends is apparantly throwing glass beer bottles out the window. I have ridden Specialized Armadillos for over a year and have had only 1 flatand that was a small sliver of wire. I realize they weigh a bit more, but no flats make them worth it.

Hi Ranmandx, you could probably leave the Michelin pro race 3 on the front (without a puncture and over 1,600Kms travelled so far) but on the rear I would look at the following:

• Maxxis Refuse
  • Vittoria Zaffiro
  • Continental GP4000S (excellent wet or dry grip, very comfortable ride, and roll well but are not as puncture resistant as the above two)
  • Schwalbe Ultremo ZX (I intend to try this one on the rear. I currently use the GP4000S but I think that the ZX might roll better. I think the wet or dry grip should be excellent and as puncture resistant as the GP400S)

Continental Gatorskin's do last but do not grip that well on wet roads and are not much more puncture resistant than the GP4000S.

There are other tyres but that is a nice starting list ...

Actually, I wouldn't mind trying the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX (320Tpi) on the front :)

While the Armadillos may cost the same as the 4000's, the Armadillo is a far more durable tire which is why it's also a heavy tire. But if you want the best flat resistant and a longer lasting tire then the Armadillo is the way to go. There are other equally flat resistant tires like the Schwabe Marathon Plus but it's even heavier then the Armadillo.

I went almost 6 years without a flat on Bontrager RaceLite Hardcases.

Then I had 2 flats in one month early in the season last year, both on the back tire, and then went flat free since.

So far, the RaceLite Hardcases have been the most puncture proof tires I've used.

Hi Ranmandx, I just had another look at my Michelin Pro 3 and I think I will change my mind from what I previously said. The hard centre layer is starting to wear through in spots which is not a good sign. I suspect that the Pro 3 punctures that you have had have been rear punctures. The Pro 3 wears very quickly as a rear tyre. Let us know what you decide to use :)

i second the armadillos
they do alot of chipsealing roads and these have been very resistant to punctures

My bike shop recommended the armadillos and I went to another larger bike shop in another city. The rep said he liked his michelins but made it a game to repair flats he says it takes him a minute 30 seconds. I have heard lots of good things about the armadillo elite tires. As much as I wanted the conti 4000"s" I think I'll take the recommendations of the forum and get the armadillo elites. Even though I'll just mostly be riding on wine country roads probably won't run into glass debris and other strange objects. But you never know.

Hi Ranmandx, the armadillo elite looks good and not too heavy :) Did you have a look at the new Schwalbe Ultremo ZX :)

Which would you go for, the ROUBAIX[SIZE= 12px] [/SIZE]or All Condition?

I'm awaiting delivery of my bike. Going to have it sent into my bike shop to get built up on wednesday and get fitted friday. I perused ebay and saw some good deals on the Conti's. i'm going to go into drop my bike off to get built on wednesday i'm going to see what they sell. All the rep told me over the phone was the armadillos. Most likely i'll go for the all condition.

Another vote for the Armadillos. I run them on my commuter bike and road bike for fall-spring. Never had a flat. I've stopped carrying a pump and extra tube because they're so reliable.

I use Performance.com Forte Pro DC tires.

They are light weight. I don't get many flats with them - about 1 every couple tires. They last a long time 3000+ miles on the current ones - not near the end of their lives.. They are cheap $21.

I used to have good luck with the Vittoria Rubino Pro's and rode a full season on a set without issue, a very good training tire and I would recommend for fast, high-mileage riding.

Conti 4000s or GP's was a very nice compromise between performance and durability but after routinely praising this tire's toughness I ended up with two flats last week... one was halfway through my race.

I have recently installed the Vittoria Open Pave CG's which I hoped would offer ride quality closer to the CX's but have the durability of a heavier tire. I can already say they "feel" very nice, easily a better ride than the Conti's, Now lets see if the Kevlar casing helps - will update this after a 1000 mi or so with the verdict. (I remember riding a pair of the tubular Pave's about ten ten years ago and flatting within 100 miles). Maybe a bit pricey but my gal is worth it /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Originally Posted by mmmk .

Another vote for the Armadillos. I run them on my commuter bike and road bike for fall-spring. Never had a flat. I've stopped carrying a pump and extra tube because they're so reliable.

You may end up regretting leaving the pump and tube behind. Your luck may run out at the worst possible time.

Originally Posted by davereo .

You may end up regretting leaving the pump and tube behind. Your luck may run out at the worst possible time.
Exactly, never ever ride without a pump, tube, and patches. Even the toughest tire made can succumb to a flat, so don't bank on never having a flat unless you don't mind walking home. I'm so careful about flat damage I even carry a ultralight folding tire in my seat bag just in case I destroy a tire. This habit of carry a spare tire echo's back to the days when I rode tubulars and carried two spares, and the habit has paid off for me a couple of times and paid off for a complete stranger who blew his so I gave him mine (we were 30 or so miles from the nearest anything so a walk for him would have been a huge problem and considering only 2 hours of daylight was left).

A lot of people are recommending Specialized Armadillos - consider me one of the masses! :D

I am on my second set of Armadillos now. My first set lasted over 2000 miles without a single flat and I live in Rochester, NY. The roads in my area are laden with potholes, glass, rusted metal, you name it! My Armadillos lived through some things that the ordinary tires I used before would have ripped apart from.

There really is no reason to buy another tire unless, as davereo mentioned, you've had good luck with another brand in the past.