Need a flagpole

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Risto Varanka

I guess every bent needs it... Do flagpoles have different ways of mounting? How much should I
expect to pay for one? Can you fly multiple flags on it? Are there telescoping models for easy
travel? Any webstores which sell good ones?

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

<[email protected]> skrev ...
> I guess every bent needs it... Do flagpoles have different ways of mounting? How much should I
> expect to pay for one? Can you fly multiple flags on it? Are there telescoping models for easy
> travel? Any webstores which sell good ones?

Nah, the drivers that are fast asleep will get you no matter how much visible stuff you got on your
bike. I rely on defensive driving these days and not a flag.

My flag was a cheap used Burley they had lying about in the LBS. Was rather cheap and they threw in
a used holder too. You can fly lots of junk but it adds drag.

You are welcome to mine, but since the pole is 130 cm long its probably not the most mailfriendly.

M.

Mikael Seierup <[email protected]> wrote:
: how much visible stuff you got on your bike. I rely on defensive driving these days and
: not a flag.

I'm personally a fan of high-visibility colours. The flag might not help that much if you're doing
50 km/h on the road and somebody approaches from behind ;)

Could be some help when there are parked cars and stuff, and also makes it look better in court when
you can point out you took measures for safety ;p

: You can fly lots of junk but it adds drag.

Gotta get narrow profile aeroflag for the training rides then ;)

: You are welcome to mine, but since the pole is 130 cm long its probably not the most mailfriendly.

One reason for you to travel to some nice places :)

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

<[email protected]> skrev

> : how much visible stuff you got on your bike. I rely on defensive driving these days and not
> : a flag.
>
> I'm personally a fan of high-visibility colours. The flag might not help that much if you're doing
> 50 km/h on the road and somebody approaches from behind ;)

Well I gave up after nearly getting pulped on my old DF. It puts my head 180 cm up in the air and
people still turned in front of me without noticing.

> : You can fly lots of junk but it adds drag.
>
> Gotta get narrow profile aeroflag for the training rides then ;)

It flaps and the pole oscillates. Most depressing. ;)

> : You are welcome to mine, but since the pole is 130 cm long its probably not the most
> : mailfriendly.
>
> One reason for you to travel to some nice places :)

Heh. Finland maybe? One billion moskitoes can't be wrong after all. Prolly got mites too.
Me no like.

For a cheap pole try a plantschool/center. They got stuff for supporting plants like roses and
whatnot. Both plastic and bamboo. Especially bamboo might be light enough and not too flexy. Mine
uses a fibreglass pole and its all over the place when its windy.

M.

[email protected] wrote:
> I guess every bent needs it... Do flagpoles have different ways of mounting? How much should I
> expect to pay for one? Can you fly multiple flags on it? Are there telescoping models for easy
>

The last time I got a bike flag, it was $3.97 at Wally Mart, which included the pole and a flag.
Most of them have a bracket to clamp onto the rear axle. If you don't like the bright hunter orange
flag, you can remove it and put your own banner up. I've seen twirlies, mylar sales pennants, and
even pirate flags.

--

John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24/63 --- _\\/\-%)
_________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

I got mine from ICE in UK

SW

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> --
> Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

John Foltz <[email protected]> wrote:
: The last time I got a bike flag, it was $3.97 at Wally Mart, which

Oh, right, sometimes they put them on kids' bikes?

: included the pole and a flag. Most of them have a bracket to clamp onto the rear axle.

Would get in way of the bags when touring I think :-.

: If you don't like the bright hunter orange flag, you can remove it and put your own banner up.
: I've seen twirlies, mylar sales pennants, and even pirate flags.

Fly club colours of course! =)

--

[email protected] wrote:
> John Foltz <[email protected]> wrote:
>> ...it was $3.97 at Wally Mart, which
>>
> Oh, right, sometimes they put them on kids' bikes?
>
Yes. Even the ultra cheapies seem to have nice fiberglas poles.

>> included the pole and a flag. Most of them have a bracket to clamp : onto the rear axle.
>
> Would get in way of the bags when touring I think :-.
>
Perhaps. Sometimes you have to get inventive. Remove the bracket and install somewhere else on the
bike. I once zip tied one to my rear stays. I've seen people zip tie a 'water closet' supply hose
somewhere and insert the flag. I've seen it attached to a trailer, sticking out the top of a seat
frame, or lashed to a rear rack.
--

John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24/63 --- _\\/\-%)
_________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

I use a pole made for Ice fishing. The really long poles make the flag bob around too much
soaking up my pedal energy. The ice fish pole is orange, nicely tapered fibreglass, and only
about 3 feet long. Mounted on the top of most bent seats, it puts the flag right at windshield
level for most cars. I had a scrap of orange fabric I taped in place. The more determined ones
will still run you over.

happy trails, rorschandt

> I guess every bent needs it...

Not as far as I am concerned.

> Do flagpoles have different ways of mounting?

Yes. Mine are mounted by:
- shoving flag pole between seat post and fabric.
- using store-provided mounting
- shoved into two hollow tubs welded to the seatback

> How much should I expect to pay for one?

Between $5-$20CDN I took the 5ft foot $6 pole I got last week, cut it in half, mounted it to the
seatback (2) of my trike and then made my own artistic and visible flags.

> Can you fly multiple flags on it?

Usually on my trike (main ride) I have two flagpoles mounted at shoulder height and they are about
3ft long with multiple flags. (eg flags of all the countries I have triked in) (eg. political
statements , peace, war statements, etc) (eg artistic pieces)

>Are there telescoping models for easy travel?

Consider looking at telescoping fishing poles.

> Any webstores which sell good ones?

I make or buy in my area. Fags and poles are available at all large department stores, bike stores
and hardware stores in Canada.

Those Fags are are just everywhere/
-----------------------
> > Any webstores which sell good ones?
>
> I make or buy in my area. Fags and poles are available at all large department stores, bike stores
and
> hardware stores in Canada.

Nah. I have used one on a trike, but that was *much* lower. You might try a telescopic car radio
antenna for easy stowage (for ultimate pose, get an electric one :). As an alternative to a boring
old pennant, consider a soft foam practice tennis ball or plastic fruit.

The ultimate visibility aid was to have been the one intended to go on the tail of gNick Green's
fully-faired Windcheetah. It was proposed to mount a plastic lobster on the fairing and use the
drive system from an old Huret mechanical speedometer, attached to the rear wheel, to cause the said
lobster to revolve. The plan foundered due to the non-availability of

Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

My Turn How bout getting bent makers to supply the Orange flags free...with their company name or
logo on the flag...almost free advertising and the companies who participate will be doing something
worthwhile for the people who ride their bents. As a promotional tool, a flag has to be the lowest
cost thing going that just happens to save lives. Ta..Dah
------------------------------------------
"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I guess every bent needs it...
>
> Nah. I have used one on a trike, but that was *much* lower. You might
try
> a telescopic car radio antenna for easy stowage (for ultimate pose, get an electric one :). As an
> alternative to a boring old pennant, consider a soft foam practice tennis ball or plastic fruit.
>
> The ultimate visibility aid was to have been the one intended to go on the tail of gNick Green's
> fully-faired Windcheetah. It was proposed to mount
a
> plastic lobster on the fairing and use the drive system from an old Huret mechanical speedometer,
> attached to the rear wheel, to cause the said lobster to revolve. The plan foundered due to the
> non-availability of

>
> Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
> ===========================================================
> Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
> http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
> ===========================================================

I use a flagpole mounted with duct tape. K-Mart has cheap poles with bicycle flag. Under the flag I
ziptie a spinnie (windsock) in primary colors. The movement really draws peoples eyes. I also attach
a truck style reflective rear triangle to the back of the seat and I wear a white or yellow helmet.

John Downey from Ann Arbor,MI with 6 inches of new snow and possible ice storm on the way

Jay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BAB6248E.8A52%[email protected]>...
> > I guess every bent needs it...
>
> Not as far as I am concerned.
>
> > Do flagpoles have different ways of mounting?
>
> Yes. Mine are mounted by:
> - shoving flag pole between seat post and fabric.
> - using store-provided mounting
> - shoved into two hollow tubs welded to the seatback
>
> > How much should I expect to pay for one?
>
> Between $5-$20CDN I took the 5ft foot $6 pole I got last week, cut it in half, mounted it to the
> seatback (2) of my trike and then made my own artistic and visible flags.
>
> > Can you fly multiple flags on it?
>
> Usually on my trike (main ride) I have two flagpoles mounted at shoulder height and they are about
> 3ft long with multiple flags. (eg flags of all the countries I have triked in) (eg. political
> statements , peace, war statements, etc) (eg artistic pieces)
>
> >Are there telescoping models for easy travel?
>
> Consider looking at telescoping fishing poles.
>
> > Any webstores which sell good ones?
>
> I make or buy in my area. Fags and poles are available at all large department stores, bike stores
> and hardware stores in Canada.

>le.com, John Downey at [email protected] wrote: <snip>I also attach a truck style reflective rear
> triangle to the back of the seat and I wear a white or yellow helmet.

Those triangles are illegal on bicycles/HPV in Ontario. You may want to check the laws in your area.

Jay RU sure about the Triangles being illegal? I thought (any) non motorized (Slow moving) vehicle
was supposed to use them re: St.Jacobs Mennonites use them on their buggies, farmers pulling wagons
use them. Thought they meant "Caution due to Slow Moving vehicle ahead". -------------------Oh ****
it is Snowing here Again------------------ "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BAB73F98.8C07%[email protected]...
> >le.com, John Downey at [email protected] wrote: <snip>I also attach a truck style reflective rear
> > triangle to the back of the seat and I wear a white or yellow helmet.
>
> Those triangles are illegal on bicycles/HPV in Ontario. You may want to check the laws in
> your area.

[email protected] wrote:
>
I am very happy NOT to have a flag on my bike. I don't even allow my children to have flags on their
bikes, for the side effects they might have. For the visibility you say? Lets be realistic. To be
seen, people should look first. And if they look even a lowracer is VERY visible. Especially if you
don't squeze yourself against the edge of the road, but stay at least 2, 3 feet from the edge.
Question. Would cardrivers notice a rock on the road? If yes, they will see you too! If not, please
let them hit that rock and let us use a mirror and look for ourselves.

Kees, happy hurry rider, van Malssen

Get yourself a document holder for the computer monitor. Get one that pivots both ways. Attached
reflective tape to the "arm" and mount it to the bike/trike. I made one for my Greenspeed.

The great thing is that you can "fold" it and it becomes a side reflector. Open it out and it sticks
out a few inches past your body. I believe motorists see it and move over a bit more. The document
holder costs less than $2.

Maybe I will market them!

Bill in Indiana

You should probably fly a large American flag on your bike. Everyone loves a nice big American flag,
(ten billion Perkins customers can't be wrong) and no one could be so unpatriotic as to run you over
while you're flying the US colors...

But officer, I saw Old Glory and placed one hand over my Heart and saluted with the other hand and
that was when my pickup truck swerved into the guy on the bent.
--------------------------------------------
"Seth Jayson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> You should probably fly a large American flag on your bike. Everyone loves a nice big American
> flag, (ten billion Perkins customers can't be wrong) and no one could be so unpatriotic as to run
> you over while you're flying the US colors...

Status
Not open for further replies.