Need a flagpole

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Risto Varanka, Apr 6, 2003.

  1. I guess every bent needs it... Do flagpoles have different ways of mounting? How much should I
    expect to pay for one? Can you fly multiple flags on it? Are there telescoping models for easy
    travel? Any webstores which sell good ones?

  2. <[email protected]> skrev ...
    > I guess every bent needs it... Do flagpoles have different ways of mounting? How much should I
    > expect to pay for one? Can you fly multiple flags on it? Are there telescoping models for easy
    > travel? Any webstores which sell good ones?

    Nah, the drivers that are fast asleep will get you no matter how much visible stuff you got on your
    bike. I rely on defensive driving these days and not a flag.

    My flag was a cheap used Burley they had lying about in the LBS. Was rather cheap and they threw in
    a used holder too. You can fly lots of junk but it adds drag.

    You are welcome to mine, but since the pole is 130 cm long its probably not the most mailfriendly.

    M.

  3. Mikael Seierup <[email protected]> wrote:
    : how much visible stuff you got on your bike. I rely on defensive driving these days and
    : not a flag.

    I'm personally a fan of high-visibility colours. The flag might not help that much if you're doing
    50 km/h on the road and somebody approaches from behind ;)

    Could be some help when there are parked cars and stuff, and also makes it look better in court when
    you can point out you took measures for safety ;p

    : You can fly lots of junk but it adds drag.

    Gotta get narrow profile aeroflag for the training rides then ;)

    : You are welcome to mine, but since the pole is 130 cm long its probably not the most mailfriendly.

    One reason for you to travel to some nice places :)

  4. <[email protected]> skrev

    > : how much visible stuff you got on your bike. I rely on defensive driving these days and not
    > : a flag.
    >
    > I'm personally a fan of high-visibility colours. The flag might not help that much if you're doing
    > 50 km/h on the road and somebody approaches from behind ;)

    Well I gave up after nearly getting pulped on my old DF. It puts my head 180 cm up in the air and
    people still turned in front of me without noticing.

    > : You can fly lots of junk but it adds drag.
    >
    > Gotta get narrow profile aeroflag for the training rides then ;)

    It flaps and the pole oscillates. Most depressing. ;)

    > : You are welcome to mine, but since the pole is 130 cm long its probably not the most
    > : mailfriendly.
    >
    > One reason for you to travel to some nice places :)

    Heh. Finland maybe? One billion moskitoes can't be wrong after all. Prolly got mites too.
    Me no like.

    For a cheap pole try a plantschool/center. They got stuff for supporting plants like roses and
    whatnot. Both plastic and bamboo. Especially bamboo might be light enough and not too flexy. Mine
    uses a fibreglass pole and its all over the place when its windy.

    M.

  5. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I guess every bent needs it... Do flagpoles have different ways of mounting? How much should I
    > expect to pay for one? Can you fly multiple flags on it? Are there telescoping models for easy
    > travel? Any webstores which sell good ones?

    The last time I got a bike flag, it was $3.97 at Wally Mart, which included the pole and a flag.
    Most of them have a bracket to clamp onto the rear axle. If you don't like the bright hunter orange
    flag, you can remove it and put your own banner up. I've seen twirlies, mylar sales pennants, and
    even pirate flags.

  6. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    I got mine from ICE in UK

    SW

    news:[email protected]...

  7. John Foltz <[email protected]> wrote:
    : The last time I got a bike flag, it was $3.97 at Wally Mart, which

    Oh, right, sometimes they put them on kids' bikes?

    : included the pole and a flag. Most of them have a bracket to clamp onto the rear axle.

    Would get in way of the bags when touring I think :-.

    : If you don't like the bright hunter orange flag, you can remove it and put your own banner up.
    : I've seen twirlies, mylar sales pennants, and even pirate flags.

    Fly club colours of course! =)

  8. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > John Foltz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> ...it was $3.97 at Wally Mart, which
    >>
    > Oh, right, sometimes they put them on kids' bikes?

    Yes. Even the ultra cheapies seem to have nice fiberglas poles.

    >> included the pole and a flag. Most of them have a bracket to clamp : onto the rear axle.
    >
    > Would get in way of the bags when touring I think :-.

    Perhaps. Sometimes you have to get inventive. Remove the bracket and install somewhere else on the
    bike. I once zip tied one to my rear stays. I've seen people zip tie a 'water closet' supply hose
    somewhere and insert the flag. I've seen it attached to a trailer, sticking out the top of a seat
    frame, or lashed to a rear rack.

  9. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    I use a pole made for Ice fishing. The really long poles make the flag bob around too much
    soaking up my pedal energy. The ice fish pole is orange, nicely tapered fibreglass, and only
    about 3 feet long. Mounted on the top of most bent seats, it puts the flag right at windshield
    level for most cars. I had a scrap of orange fabric I taped in place. The more determined ones
    will still run you over.

    happy trails, rorschandt

  10. Jay

    Jay Guest

    > I guess every bent needs it...

    Not as far as I am concerned.

    > Do flagpoles have different ways of mounting?

    Yes. Mine are mounted by:
    - shoving flag pole between seat post and fabric.
    - using store-provided mounting
    - shoved into two hollow tubs welded to the seatback

    > How much should I expect to pay for one?

    Between $5-$20CDN I took the 5ft foot $6 pole I got last week, cut it in half, mounted it to the
    seatback (2) of my trike and then made my own artistic and visible flags.

    > Can you fly multiple flags on it?

    Usually on my trike (main ride) I have two flagpoles mounted at shoulder height and they are about
    3ft long with multiple flags. (eg flags of all the countries I have triked in) (eg. political
    statements , peace, war statements, etc) (eg artistic pieces)

    >Are there telescoping models for easy travel?

    Consider looking at telescoping fishing poles.

    > Any webstores which sell good ones?

    I make or buy in my area. Fags and poles are available at all large department stores, bike stores
    and hardware stores in Canada.

  11. Those Fags are are just everywhere/
    -----------------------
    > > Any webstores which sell good ones?
    >
    > I make or buy in my area. Fags and poles are available at all large department stores, bike stores
    and
    > hardware stores in Canada.

  12. > I guess every bent needs it...

    Nah. I have used one on a trike, but that was *much* lower. You might try a telescopic car radio
    antenna for easy stowage (for ultimate pose, get an electric one :). As an alternative to a boring
    old pennant, consider a soft foam practice tennis ball or plastic fruit.

    The ultimate visibility aid was to have been the one intended to go on the tail of gNick Green's
    fully-faired Windcheetah. It was proposed to mount a plastic lobster on the fairing and use the
    drive system from an old Huret mechanical speedometer, attached to the rear wheel, to cause the said
    lobster to revolve. The plan foundered due to the non-availability of

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  13. My Turn How bout getting bent makers to supply the Orange flags free...with their company name or
    logo on the flag...almost free advertising and the companies who participate will be doing something
    worthwhile for the people who ride their bents. As a promotional tool, a flag has to be the lowest
    cost thing going that just happens to save lives. Ta..Dah
    > > I guess every bent needs it...
    >
    > Nah. I have used one on a trike, but that was *much* lower. You might
    try
    > a telescopic car radio antenna for easy stowage (for ultimate pose, get an electric one :). As an
    > alternative to a boring old pennant, consider a soft foam practice tennis ball or plastic fruit.
    >
    > The ultimate visibility aid was to have been the one intended to go on the tail of gNick Green's
    > fully-faired Windcheetah. It was proposed to mount
    > plastic lobster on the fairing and use the drive system from an old Huret mechanical speedometer,
    > attached to the rear wheel, to cause the said lobster to revolve. The plan foundered due to the
    > non-availability of

    > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
    > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  14. John Downey

    John Downey Guest

    I use a flagpole mounted with duct tape. K-Mart has cheap poles with bicycle flag. Under the flag I
    ziptie a spinnie (windsock) in primary colors. The movement really draws peoples eyes. I also attach
    a truck style reflective rear triangle to the back of the seat and I wear a white or yellow helmet.

    John Downey from Ann Arbor,MI with 6 inches of new snow and possible ice storm on the way

    Jay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BAB6248E.8A52%[email protected]rian.org>...
    > > I guess every bent needs it...
    >
    > Not as far as I am concerned.
    >
    > > Do flagpoles have different ways of mounting?
    >
    > Yes. Mine are mounted by:
    > - shoving flag pole between seat post and fabric.
    > - using store-provided mounting
    > - shoved into two hollow tubs welded to the seatback
    >
    > > How much should I expect to pay for one?
    >
    > Between $5-$20CDN I took the 5ft foot $6 pole I got last week, cut it in half, mounted it to the
    > seatback (2) of my trike and then made my own artistic and visible flags.
    >
    > > Can you fly multiple flags on it?
    >
    > Usually on my trike (main ride) I have two flagpoles mounted at shoulder height and they are about
    > 3ft long with multiple flags. (eg flags of all the countries I have triked in) (eg. political
    > statements , peace, war statements, etc) (eg artistic pieces)
    >
    > >Are there telescoping models for easy travel?
    >
    > Consider looking at telescoping fishing poles.
    >
    > > Any webstores which sell good ones?
    >
    > I make or buy in my area. Fags and poles are available at all large department stores, bike stores
    > and hardware stores in Canada.

  15. Jay

    Jay Guest

    >le.com, John Downey at [email protected] wrote: <snip>I also attach a truck style reflective rear
    > triangle to the back of the seat and I wear a white or yellow helmet.

    Those triangles are illegal on bicycles/HPV in Ontario. You may want to check the laws in your area.

  16. Jay RU sure about the Triangles being illegal? I thought (any) non motorized (Slow moving) vehicle
    was supposed to use them re: St.Jacobs Mennonites use them on their buggies, farmers pulling wagons
    use them. Thought they meant "Caution due to Slow Moving vehicle ahead". -------------------Oh Crap
    news:BAB73F98.8C07%[email protected]...

  17. [email protected] wrote:

    > I guess every bent needs it...
    I am very happy NOT to have a flag on my bike. I don't even allow my children to have flags on their
    bikes, for the side effects they might have. For the visibility you say? Lets be realistic. To be
    seen, people should look first. And if they look even a lowracer is VERY visible. Especially if you
    don't squeze yourself against the edge of the road, but stay at least 2, 3 feet from the edge.
    Question. Would cardrivers notice a rock on the road? If yes, they will see you too! If not, please
    let them hit that rock and let us use a mirror and look for ourselves.

    Kees, happy hurry rider, van Malssen

  18. Get yourself a document holder for the computer monitor. Get one that pivots both ways. Attached
    reflective tape to the "arm" and mount it to the bike/trike. I made one for my Greenspeed.

    The great thing is that you can "fold" it and it becomes a side reflector. Open it out and it sticks
    out a few inches past your body. I believe motorists see it and move over a bit more. The document
    holder costs less than $2.

    Maybe I will market them!

    Bill in Indiana

  19. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    You should probably fly a large American flag on your bike. Everyone loves a nice big American flag,
    (ten billion Perkins customers can't be wrong) and no one could be so unpatriotic as to run you over
    while you're flying the US colors...

  20. But officer, I saw Old Glory and placed one hand over my Heart and saluted with the other hand and
    that was when my pickup truck swerved into the guy on the bent.
    news:[email protected]...