Need a free bike?

don Gabacho

Guest
Mexico migrants use cycles to cross Arizona desert
Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:31 PM ET

THREE POINTS, Arizona (Reuters) - Illegal immigrants and drug
traffickers are using
dilapidated bicycles to make a swift, night-time dash over the desert
to Arizona from
Mexico, border police say.

Border Patrol agents in the desert state are finding dozens of the
bikes dumped at
hamlets such as Three Points, southwest of Tucson, which are used as
staging areas by
smugglers ferrying marijuana and immigrants on to cities inland.

"The illegals use bicycles, either riding them on ranch roads or the
foot trails
themselves, as a quicker means of getting north," said Border Patrol
agent Kevin
Nutwell as he inspected a rusty bike discarded on one lonely trail
south of Three
Points.

Agents say it takes up to three days to walk the 45-mile (72-km) trail
from the
border to Three Points, where immigrants are picked up for an onward
journey to
Tucson and Phoenix either by truck or packed into cars.

Stealthy cyclists who make the trip in groups of up to 10 people led by
a guide or
"coyote" can make the trip in just a few hours.

Reuters saw two bicycles dumped on ranch trails outside Three Points,
one a 10-speed
mountain bike, the other a rusted Chinese model with fat tires and wing
handlebars.

"The bikes have no amenities like brakes and they sometimes are lucky
to have a seat
on them," Nutwell said.

"They spray paint the bikes flat-black and remove reflectors so that it
is easier to
travel at night undetected," he added.

Southern Arizona is the most heavily transited area along the porous
2,000-mile
(3,200-km) U.S. border with Mexico.

Last year the cactus-studded corridor south of Tucson was used by more
than a third
of the 1.2 million illegal immigrants caught crossing the international
line.

Nutwell said agents also found bicycles that had been rigged with
special frames to
carry bundles of marijuana along the back roads that crisscross the
lonely stretch of
desert.

"It's just one of the ingenious forms of smuggling that we come across;
there's no
end to it."
When the Senate passed their Amnesty Bill, the vote was 62 for, 36
against. Of the 36 against amnesty for millions, four were democrats
and 32 were republicans. 36 True Americans.

There are more American heroes in The People's House....these are the
mainly
conservative Representatives that voted to close the border and take
action
against the aliens that are in this country illegally, breaking our
laws every
day. True American Heroes.

The People's House is all that is standing between the American public
and the Senate's Amnesty Bill.

don Gabacho wrote:
> [...]
> lonely stretch of
> desert.
>
> "It's just one of the ingenious forms of smuggling that we come across;
> there's no
> end to it."
> When the Senate passed their Amnesty Bill, the vote was 62 for, 36
> against. Of the 36 against amnesty for millions, four were democrats
> and 32 were republicans. 36 True Americans.
>
> There are more American heroes in The People's House....these are the
> mainly
> conservative Representatives that voted to close the border and take
> action
> against the aliens that are in this country illegally, breaking our
> laws every
> day. True American Heroes.
>
> The People's House is all that is standing between the American public

Sounds like a great idea for an "American(1)" on day classic bicycle
race, much like Paris-Roubaix, except you get to fight/avoid goathead
puncture thorns instead of cobblestones. Tour de Rio Grande?

(1) Last I checked "America" includes North and South America. What's
this "American heroes" BS that the Reuters article refers to?

On 22 Aug 2006 22:36:16 -0700, "damyth"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

>(1) Last I checked "America" includes North and South America. What's
>this "American heroes" BS that the Reuters article refers to?

Dear Damyth,

The vast majority of Canadians, Mexicans, Guatemalans, Colombians,
Brazilians, Chileans, Cubans, and other inhabitants of North, Central,
and South America do not refer to themselves as "Americans," despite
the familiar complaint that you repeat.

They do, however, often refer to those who live in the United States
of America as "Americanos" or "Americans," depending on their native
language. "Yankees" and "yanquis" are also common, but I have yet to
hear a Southerner complain about this gross misidentification.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

don Gabacho wrote:

> the other a rusted Chinese model with fat tires and wing
> handlebars.
>
> "The bikes have no amenities like brakes and they sometimes are lucky
> to have a seat
> on them," Nutwell said.
>
> "They spray paint the bikes flat-black and remove reflectors

Shhhhhhh.

2008 stylists are grasping for new fashion ideas.

[email protected] wrote:
> On 22 Aug 2006 22:36:16 -0700, "damyth"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> (1) Last I checked "America" includes North and South America. What's
>> this "American heroes" BS that the Reuters article refers to?

> Dear Damyth,
>
> The vast majority of Canadians, Mexicans, Guatemalans, Colombians,
> Brazilians, Chileans, Cubans, and other inhabitants of North, Central,
> and South America do not refer to themselves as "Americans," despite
> the familiar complaint that you repeat.
>
> They do, however, often refer to those who live in the United States
> of America as "Americanos" or "Americans," depending on their native
> language. "Yankees" and "yanquis" are also common, but I have yet to
> hear a Southerner complain about this gross misidentification.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Any native to North or South America will know that "United Statesian"
is meant when the term "American" is used. When in South America I
usually say that I am a "Norte Americano" which seems more polite and is
easier to say than "Citizen of the United States of America." Since my
Spanish is poor, I doubt that anybody thinks that I am a Mexican. Gringo
is widely understood but is somewhat derisive.

Occasionally someone I talk to will ***** about how we use the term
"American" to mean a "United States of American" but in my experience it
has always been a European or a Canadian. Like some people ***** about
the use of double negatives. The intended meaning of a double negative
is seldom misunderstood. When the bank robber waves a pistol and says
"Don't nobody talk." all reasonable people understand and one hopes that
the nitpicker who complains is shot.

The original Reuters article was amended by the OP:
http://tinyurl.com/nall8
The part about American Heroes is nationalist phraseology added by the
OP. The OP seems to mainly post to immigration groups.
http://tinyurl.com/o438c

Dan wrote:

<snip>

> The intended meaning of a double negative
> is seldom misunderstood. When the bank robber waves a pistol and says
> "Don't nobody talk." all reasonable people understand and one hopes that
> the nitpicker who complains is shot.

Heh -- that's funny. I recall reading about a less-messy way to deal
with people who tell us that we mean "bison" instead of "buffalo," or
"pelargonium" when we say "geranium": ignore them.

-- mike elliott

damyth wrote:

> (1) Last I checked "America" includes North and South America. What's
> this "American heroes" BS that the Reuters article refers to?

The last time I checked it was the United States of America, after
becoming independent of its European colonial rule, the first United
States of---any---'America.'

Could it be as simple as that?

If you really want to study some BS: Mexico calls itself the United
States of Mexico when, within the present grasp of Mexico City, most of
its subjects are not Mexican related (Nauhuas/Mexica).

In any event what a people call themselves should hardly be an issue
for anyone with a mature mind. Given, however, the equally immature
linguistic chauvinism of Latinamericanists nowadays, it comes as no
surprise that nonesense such as yours will pesist.

Grow up.

Rather than being destructive of others, you could instead strive for
some self-edification by doing something positive. You could, for
example,clean up the environment being trashed, and even get a free
bike out of it, by heading to where these cyclists are dumping their
bikes and there put your back into where your mouth is.

On 22 Aug 2006 20:16:45 -0700, "don Gabacho" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Reuters saw two bicycles dumped on ranch trails outside Three Points,
>one a 10-speed
>mountain bike, the other a rusted Chinese model with fat tires and wing
>handlebars.
>
>"The bikes have no amenities like brakes and they sometimes are lucky
>to have a seat
>on them," Nutwell said.
>
>"They spray paint the bikes flat-black and remove reflectors so that it
>is easier to travel at night undetected," he added.

Then once they get to North Tampa the third thing they buy after a perfectly
fitted pair of jeans and a brightly colored shirt is a full springer Next
branded bike.

Ron

don Gabacho wrote:
> damyth wrote:
>
> > (1) Last I checked "America" includes North and South America. What's
> > this "American heroes" BS that the Reuters article refers to?

> The last time I checked it was the United States of America, after
> becoming independent of its European colonial rule, the first United
> States of---any---'America.'
>
> Could it be as simple as that?
>
> If you really want to study some BS: Mexico calls itself the United
> States of Mexico when, within the present grasp of Mexico City, most of
> its subjects are not Mexican related (Nauhuas/Mexica).
>
> In any event what a people call themselves should hardly be an issue
> for anyone with a mature mind. Given, however, the equally immature
> linguistic chauvinism of Latinamericanists nowadays, it comes as no
> surprise that nonesense such as yours will pesist.

Then why are you getting your panties in a bunch?? You tried passing
off "American Heroes" BS as part of some Reuters article. I called you
on it. You say in the same breath "who cares what people call
themselves" and yet you complain about citizens of Mexico City ought to
be included as subjects of the United States of Mexico?

That's RICH! :)

> Grow up.
>
> Rather than being destructive of others, you could instead strive for
> some self-edification by doing something positive. You could, for
> example,clean up the environment being trashed, and even get a free
> bike out of it, by heading to where these cyclists are dumping their
> bikes and there put your back into where your mouth is.

There is an organization right here in CA that recycles
bikes/components to needy people, and this includes (illegal) migrant
workers. Donations are tax deductible too. I take it you would have
an issue with this?

Stop lecturing me about environment being trashed. It's clear to
anyone who bothered reading your posts that your mind is a wasteland.
Why don't you go to Three Points in AZ and start something like
yellowbikes.org?

Last and not least, unless you're a full-blooded American Indian (yes,
this includes Incas and Mayans too), we're all immigrants at one time
or another. Couldn't help but notice your surname was Pastore. Now
you're attempting to deny others to immigrate here to the United
States. That's real progress. Why don't you go shut down some
businesses that employ illegal aliens and see how far you'd get?

damyth wrote:

> ...yet you complain about citizens of Mexico City ought to
> be included as subjects of the United States of Mexico?

You are off base. I was speaking of the denizens of the United States
of Mexico (in Mexico City's grasp).

> There is an organization right here in CA that recycles
> bikes/components to needy people, and this includes (illegal) migrant
> workers. Donations are tax deductible too. I take it you would have
> an issue with this?

Yup.

> Stop lecturing me about environment being trashed. It's clear to
> anyone who bothered reading your posts that your mind is a wasteland.
> Why don't you go to Three Points in AZ and start something like
> yellowbikes.org?

:) You really think the cyclists and their coyotes would cooperate?

How many of the bikes could have been yellow to begin with?

They are 'sneaking' in afterall.

> Last and not least, unless you're a full-blooded American Indian (yes,
> this includes Incas and Mayans too), we're all immigrants at one time
> or another.

"Immigrants"? Even the American Indians had been 'migrants'.

"...Couldn't help but notice your surname was Pastore. Now
> you're attempting to deny others to immigrate here to the United
> States."

:) My grandparents were not only "immigrants," they also knew what the
word meant before arriving.

They did not sneak into the U.S.. They never looked back. They not only
would have considered it unthinkable to take their direction from the
consulates of the government which they had just departed, they
wouldn't even send one dime to their country of origin where it could
possibly be of any benefit to that country and its government.

They would spit in the eye of anyone claiming themselves "immigrants"
when in fact waving two flags and, as instructed by Mexico before even
leaving, seek dual-citizenship.

They were afterall honorable people.

"...Why don't you go shut down some
> businesses that employ illegal aliens and see how far you'd get?

I have. I have also had Hispanic so-called police fired for treating
with foreign government (Mexico's), in a bar no less, for negotiating
parade permits.

Why don't you go to Arizona with a can of yellow paint and bicycle
reflectors?

I'm sure you will at least learn what "immigrant" means.

I certainly learned Mexico's idea of it: when, for some twenty-years I
was an 'undocumented Northamercian worker' in Mexico---the malicious
hypocites!

At any rate, this is a 'bicycle forum'---not a who suppose to be
"Americans" forum.

don Gabacho wrote:
> damyth wrote:
>
> > (1) Last I checked "America" includes North and South America. What's
> > this "American heroes" BS that the Reuters article refers to?

> The last time I checked it was the United States of America, after
> becoming independent of its European colonial rule, the first United
> States of---any---'America.'
>
> Could it be as simple as that?
>
> If you really want to study some BS: Mexico calls itself the United
> States of Mexico when, within the present grasp of Mexico City, most of
> its subjects are not Mexican related (Nauhuas/Mexica).

Typical Don Gabacho ignorance. Being Mexican has nothing to do with
race, my dear gringo friend. There are white Mexicans, amerindio
Mexicans, mestizo Mexicans, black Mexicans, jewish Mexicans, and
Mexicans with arab and asian backgrounds too.
In other words, "Mexican" is a NATIONALITY, not a race. Isn't that what
most of you anti-immigrationists say when someone brandishes the race
card?
Pay attention, Don Gabacho, and stick with the program.

On 27 Aug 2006 20:55:03 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>don Gabacho wrote:
>> damyth wrote:
>>
>> > (1) Last I checked "America" includes North and South America. What's
>> > this "American heroes" BS that the Reuters article refers to?

>> The last time I checked it was the United States of America, after
>> becoming independent of its European colonial rule, the first United
>> States of---any---'America.'
>>
>> Could it be as simple as that?
>>
>> If you really want to study some BS: Mexico calls itself the United
>> States of Mexico when, within the present grasp of Mexico City, most of
>> its subjects are not Mexican related (Nauhuas/Mexica).

>Typical Don Gabacho ignorance. Being Mexican has nothing to do with
>race, my dear gringo friend. There are white Mexicans, amerindio
>Mexicans, mestizo Mexicans, black Mexicans, jewish Mexicans, and
>Mexicans with arab and asian backgrounds too.
>In other words, "Mexican" is a NATIONALITY, not a race. Isn't that what
>most of you anti-immigrationists say when someone brandishes the race
>card?

Tell the La Raza assholes.

Ron