Need a light ($50-$150) range

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by chris christanis, Sep 8, 2004.

  1. Want a bright and wide beam. Use the light only a few hours a week. But when
    I do use it, I need brightness. I live in the suburbs where it is pitch
    black at night with no lights. I have just a cateye el300 now and was
    planning on checking out the new el 500 for a battery operated model. And I
    have been looking at the cygolite night rover (12 watts) for a rechargeable
    model. Both are $50 Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    chris christanis wrote:
    :: Want a bright and wide beam. Use the light only a few hours a week.
    :: But when I do use it, I need brightness. I live in the suburbs where
    :: it is pitch black at night with no lights. I have just a cateye
    :: el300 now and was planning on checking out the new el 500 for a
    :: battery operated model. And I have been looking at the cygolite
    :: night rover (12 watts) for a rechargeable model. Both are $50 Thanks

    The Nitehawk Emitter is really bright....I don't know if has a wide enough
    beam for your needs, but I does light up the road ahead. It does not throw
    out light to the sides, so you may not see a dog coming at you from the
    side. It claimes 9 hours of battery life on 4 AAs.

  3. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    chris christanis wrote:

    > Want a bright and wide beam. Use the light only a few hours a week. But when
    > I do use it, I need brightness. I live in the suburbs where it is pitch
    > black at night with no lights. I have just a cateye el300 now and was
    > planning on checking out the new el 500 for a battery operated model. And I
    > have been looking at the cygolite night rover (12 watts) for a rechargeable
    > model. Both are $50 Thanks

    You need brightness when it's bright. Almost anything works when it's really dark.

    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email protected]

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Roger Zoul wrote:
    > chris christanis wrote:
    > :: Want a bright and wide beam. Use the light only a few hours a week.
    > :: But when I do use it, I need brightness. I live in the suburbs where
    > :: it is pitch black at night with no lights. I have just a cateye
    > :: el300 now and was planning on checking out the new el 500 for a
    > :: battery operated model. And I have been looking at the cygolite
    > :: night rover (12 watts) for a rechargeable model. Both are $50 Thanks
    >
    > The Nitehawk Emitter is really bright....I don't know if has a wide enough
    > beam for your needs, but I does light up the road ahead. It does not throw
    > out light to the sides, so you may not see a dog coming at you from the
    > side. It claimes 9 hours of battery life on 4 AAs.

    I am thinking about buying a Nitehawk, A local store here sells 2
    different Nitehawk emitters. One is listed as a "digital and the other
    as just "emitter"

    Their webpage lists them here:
    http://tinyurl.com/44hxb

    Which one did you buy.

  5. "chris christanis" wrote ...
    > Want a bright and wide beam. Use the light only a few hours a week. But
    > when
    > I do use it, I need brightness. I live in the suburbs where it is pitch
    > black at night with no lights. I have just a cateye el300 now and was
    > planning on checking out the new el 500 for a battery operated model. And
    > have been looking at the cygolite night rover (12 watts) for a
    > rechargeable
    > model. Both are $50 Thanks

    "Brightness" is not enough information. What is "bright" to you may not be
    "bright" to someone else. Also how "wide" is wide? In addition, when riding
    in "pitch black" conditions you actually need *less* light than riding a
    road with streetlights.

    Sounds like a 10 watt light should work. How about the Nite Hawk Raptor 10w
    that has a SLA water bottle battery with a 2.5 hr run time for $50 (at
    Nashbar)

    Richard in Boston, MA, USA

  6. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Mark wrote:
    :: Roger Zoul wrote:
    ::: chris christanis wrote:
    ::::: Want a bright and wide beam. Use the light only a few hours a
    ::::: week. But when I do use it, I need brightness. I live in the
    ::::: suburbs where it is pitch black at night with no lights. I have
    ::::: just a cateye el300 now and was planning on checking out the new
    ::::: el 500 for a battery operated model. And I have been looking at
    ::::: the cygolite night rover (12 watts) for a rechargeable model.
    ::::: Both are $50 Thanks
    :::
    ::: The Nitehawk Emitter is really bright....I don't know if has a wide
    ::: enough beam for your needs, but I does light up the road ahead. It
    ::: does not throw out light to the sides, so you may not see a dog
    ::: coming at you from the side. It claimes 9 hours of battery life on
    ::: 4 AAs.
    :::
    :::
    ::
    :: I am thinking about buying a Nitehawk, A local store here sells 2
    :: different Nitehawk emitters. One is listed as a "digital and the
    :: other as just "emitter"
    ::
    :: Their webpage lists them here:
    :: http://tinyurl.com/44hxb
    ::
    :: Which one did you buy.

    i got the nondigital. it only has two power modes (10% and 100%), but it
    lists a longer run time than does the digital version (9 vs 5 hours,
    supposedly).

    Maybe they will let you try one is dark room or at night.

  7. chris christanis <[email protected]> wrote:
    > have been looking at the cygolite night rover (12 watts) for a rechargeable

    FWIW, I have a Night Rover, and I like it. It has two bulbs, one wide
    and one narrow. Minor problem: the battery pack straps are not adequate
    to mount the NR on the frame. I've had to hang mine from the handlebar
    stem.
    And every now and then, when the light is freshly charged, some
    motorist will flash his high beams at me...

    Bill

    | The surest way to become a pacifist is to join the infantry. |
    | --Bill Mauldin |

  8. Good point about the needing less light in pitch black conditions. That is
    the only time I use the light (pitch black conditions). Wide enough to see
    more than a foot or two wide (I guess).

    "Richard Amirault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "chris christanis" wrote ...
    > > Want a bright and wide beam. Use the light only a few hours a week. But
    > > when
    > > I do use it, I need brightness. I live in the suburbs where it is pitch
    > > black at night with no lights. I have just a cateye el300 now and was
    > > planning on checking out the new el 500 for a battery operated model.

    And
    > > have been looking at the cygolite night rover (12 watts) for a
    > > rechargeable
    > > model. Both are $50 Thanks

    > "Brightness" is not enough information. What is "bright" to you may not

    be
    > "bright" to someone else. Also how "wide" is wide? In addition, when

    riding
    > in "pitch black" conditions you actually need *less* light than riding a
    > road with streetlights.
    >
    > Sounds like a 10 watt light should work. How about the Nite Hawk Raptor

    10w
    > that has a SLA water bottle battery with a 2.5 hr run time for $50 (at
    > Nashbar)
    >
    > Richard in Boston, MA, USA

  9. Mike Schwab

    Mike Schwab Guest

    I like my Cateye Opticube for $35. I have rode home 50-60 miles 3 times
    one way from Springfield IL to Litchfield, IL, very rural, night lights
    at houses 1-2 miles apart. Last 100 hours to see the road, 300 hours to
    be seen. My first set of 4AA batteries leaked wax at about 50 hours.