Need a little advice on equipment : pedals,shoes,helmet,sunglasses

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by wcngu1, Aug 13, 2006.

1. wcngu1

wcngu1 New Member

Hi its me again haha. I've decided to buy the Giant TCR composite 2 2006 bike but once again have no idea what are actually good pedals,shoes helmets,sunglasses etc. I have been looking around but I am unaware of what is good bang for my buck. I've learnt from the past that a good brand in bikes "shimano" doesn't necessarily mean they make the best value pedals or shoes.

I"ve heard of specialized,shimano,look etc to be the better brands.

If there are any tried and true equipments and clothing that are known to be bloody good please let me know =) I dont' mind shelling out the extra dough if I know its well worth it.

thanks in advance

EDIT:

i am currently steering towards the following

RoadHelmet-07 : Specialized Decibel[​IMG]An absolutely outstanding helmet packed with features.

Specifications:

Construction: Top to Bottom In-Molding
    Retention: PRO Fit 2 retention system
    Vents: 4th Dimension Cooling System
    Sizes: Small, Medium, Large
    Standard: Australian Standards Approved

Price$224.95 (incl. $20.45 GST)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shimano PD-R540 SPD-SL Road Pedals

PRICE:
    document.write(getProductPrice("$","\,",2,".",false, true, 1022,"inc No Tax within Australia","inc No Tax within Australia","International Orders",0,true));$89.00

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shimano SH-RO98-A Road Shoes

PRICE:
    document.write(getProductPrice("$","\,",2,".",false, true, 1381,"inc No Tax within Australia","inc No Tax within Australia","International Orders",0,true));$149.00
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BBB BSG-23 Winner Sunglasses

PRICE:
    document.write(getProductPrice("$","\,",2,".",false, true, 1111,"inc No Tax within Australia","inc No Tax within Australia","International Orders",0,true));$55.00Lock-10 : Kryptonite New York[​IMG]The ultimate D-Lock, the lock by which all others are measured. If you want ultimate security, this is the lock for you...

Price$149.95 (incl. $13.63 GST)

TELL ME WHAT YA THINK =D

Tags:

2. kleng

kleng New Member

Pedals - I'd have a look at the Shimano SPD-SL range many different models but same fundamental design. More expensive as they get lighter.

Shoes - Shimano R151 and 215B both have carbon fibre soles. These are 215B model.
    [​IMG]

Helmets - Met have a good range topping out to the Stradivarius II for road riders. For me they sit a bit lower on the head than the Decibel, giving better protection to the ears, around the same price range.[​IMG]
    Sunnies - As you have identified would go for the BBB BSG-23 winner frames, very reasonably priced with 2 additional lenses for different conditions, orange for overcast and clear for nightime.

Clothing - Jaggad (australian brand currently on sale at 30% off till the end of August) - the Intercooler bib knicks are excellent.

http://www.jaggad.com/au/index.php

The reason I have recommend these models is that they are very easy to find in Melbourne. If you tell us where your located we can recommend some stores to visit.

3. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Shoes: I only buy Sidi. They last forever. They come in wide versions. They came up with the ratchet buckly system, which I like a lot better than velcro.

Pedals: Personal choice. I am using Look Carbon Keos these days. A lot of people like Speedplays but I found they foul with dirt easily.

Helmets: I am not sure there is anything to recommend one over another. They are all made from a dollar's worth of styrofoam, plastic, and nylon. Testing is done to meet a minimum standard. No information is released about how much a helmet exceeds the standard. Find one that fits your head.

Sunglasses: Rudy Ekynox SX and Rydons. None of the costly sunglass brands are worth the money, but they look good.

Locks: I don't know anything about them. The only time my bikes are outside is if I am riding them or they are on top of my car. I would not leave a good bike outside unattended.

Clothing: Assos if you have the money.

4. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

I'll vouch for the stradivarius. Seems to be aero too, good for solo. Your are much better off shelling out for a really good pair of shoes. I recently got the Nike Poggios (all because of huge discount) which lower rotating weight, are stiff, well ventilated, don't hold water, easy to use and look great. Sunglasses are sunglasses, but I had a pair of BBBs where the nose pad fell out. Pedals are important too, so I would recommend looking at ProBikeKit.com for the TIME RXE or LooK KeO classics.

5. wcngu1

wcngu1 New Member

after alot of advice from some people I have made my second draft haha

RPS-004 : Shimano Ultegra R-6610
    [​IMG]First of the all new SPD-SL pedals from Shimano. Apart from being incredibly light its features include:
    Cartridge bearings
    Large and low profile platform
    Open design facilitates easy cleat adjustment

Price$179.95 (incl. $16.36 GST)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shimano SH-R151-L Road Shoes

PRICE:
    $199.00

OR
    SSPR06-01 : Specialized Comp Road 06[​IMG]Enough features to satisfy a pro, yet still very affordable.

It combines the exceptional fit of the M-lock buckle with the performance-enhancing Body Geometry technology...

Price$189.95 (incl. $17.27 GST)

or

[​IMG]
    Supersize Image

Pricing
    (No Sales Tax Will Be Charged)
    Sidi Energy Hi-Tech carbon Fibre Blue/Blue
    Buy It Now For
    Only A$335.97

RoadHelmet-04 : Met Stradivarius II[​IMG]An ultra light road helmet that looks unbelievable. The Stradivarius is Met's finest instrument. It has fantastic ventilation, great fit and is ultra lightweight...

Price$279.00 (incl. $25.36 GST)

OR

RoadHelmet-07 : Specialized Decibel[​IMG]An absolutely outstanding helmet packed with features.

Specifications:

Construction: Top to Bottom In-Molding
    Retention: PRO Fit 2 retention system
    Vents: 4th Dimension Cooling System
    Sizes: Small, Medium, Large
    Standard: Australian Standards Approved

Price$224.95 (incl. $20.45 GST)
    PRICE:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PRICE:
    $55.00

Lock-10 : Kryptonite New York[​IMG]The ultimate D-Lock, the lock by which all others are measured. If you want ultimate security, this is the lock for you...

Fizik Arione Titanium Road Saddle

</B>[​IMG]

PRICE:
    $139.00

Just found a new helmet. It seems to be the one up from the
    STRADIVARIUS II. 20 bucks more but any better?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MET 5th Element
    PRICE:
    $289.00

yeah I was told about sidi's? are they really worth the money though?

Does everyone buy their stuff from probikekit.com?

6. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

You can get a Stradivarius II from totalcycling.com (in Ireland) for AU $167 sans VAT. I don't know how long it takes to ship to Australia but I usually get orders shipped to the U.S. within a week.

As for the Sidis, no shoe is worth anything if it does not fit. Totalcycling has the Sidi Energys for $290 and Genius 5s for $215.

7. wcngu1

wcngu1 New Member

wow and I was about to buy everything from www.probikekit.com thanks alot!

Ok this is my third draft haha

RPS-004 : Shimano Ultegra R-6610
    [​IMG]First of the all new SPD-SL pedals from Shimano. Apart from being incredibly light its features include:
    Cartridge bearings
    Large and low profile platform
    Open design facilitates easy cleat adjustment

Price$179.95 (incl. $16.36 GST)

OR LOOK KEO'S?

[​IMG]

Look KEO Carbon CroMo Pedal

[​IMG]
    Supersize Image

Sidi Energy Hi-Tech carbon Fibre Blue/Blue
    (GODDAMN THESE WILL KILL MY BUDGET)

RoadHelmet-04 : Met Stradivarius II[​IMG]An ultra light road helmet that looks unbelievable. The Stradivarius is Met's finest instrument. It has fantastic ventilation, great fit and is ultra lightweight...

Price$279.00 (incl. $25.36 GST)

OR

PRICE:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PRICE:
    $55.00

Lock-10 : Kryptonite New York[​IMG]The ultimate D-Lock, the lock by which all others are measured. If you want ultimate security, this is the lock for you...

Fizik Arione Titanium Road Saddle

</B>[​IMG]

PRICE:
    $139.00

anyone found a cheaper price on a STRAVIDIUS II or the LOCK? it seems a bit much for a helmet haha made of $1 foam!

I've decided to buy all my gear from www.probikekit.com but they dont' stock the helmet. they have a list of helmets in their website but I dont' recognize any of them... if anyone knows of a good one from that website that tops the stravidius II in terms of price and value let me know.
    they also have these sunnies at great prices but not sure if they are good. e.g

[​IMG]
    Supersize Image

A$49.82
    Kuota Black Five Lens System Glasses

or

[​IMG]
    Supersize Image

Quick Step BBB Sunglasses Silver

are these good sunnies?

Thanks alot guys this is going great!

8. senator52

senator52 New Member

If you check totalcycling.com for the Met Stradivarius II it is priced at AU$167 that looks very competitive if you ask me...:rolleyes: i'd check it out unless you are sold on buying from probikekit.com only.

9. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

HALT. If you plan to do any races at any level, do not order the helmet from overseas. The Australian standards sticker needs to be on otherwise it is illegal. I think this is unfair, but nothing can be done about it.

10. wcngu1

wcngu1 New Member

Its ok =) I Plan to get back into riding for a couple of years before i compete. eevn if I do compete it will be purely for fun and wont' be too seroius. I plan to buy all my things overseas haha half from www.totalcycling.com and half from www.probikekit.com

also came across these gears but not sure if they are worth considering haha

Campagnolo Chorus Pro - Fit Plus Pedals

$163.61

[​IMG]

Wide platform
    Polished anodised finish
    Adjustable release tension
    Adjustable cup and cone type bearings
    Supplied with floating cleats
    Weight - 325g

11. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

The campy pedals are nice. You can get those for AU $143 from 11speed.com, which always has really good prices on Campy. I picked up a set of Eurus for a little over US $500 instead of the $800+ they cost in the U.S. I don't know about shipping to Australia from there.

12. kleng

kleng New Member

The Met 5th Element is a MTB helmet, I tried one on and it was really huge and bulky on the head which I didn't like ,so I settled on the sleeker Stradivarius II.

Make sure you size the shoes properly before ordering from overseas as the shoe sizes differ a little bit from each manufacturer.

Also would recommend you size the helmet as well, buying from overseas makes it impossible to return.

I would still go for the Shimano SPL-SL as the wider platform is still better, for power transmission and long ride comfort.
    Also cleats and parts are easier to get downunder.

Are you sure about overseas buying, you have to be careful about the exchange rates and postage, not all items are cheaper after you factor airmail and insurance. I've only bought tyres and clothing from OS, bigger items might attract customs interest, also if you use overseas couriers they by default need to clear customs.

Here is an excahnge rate calculator
    http://www.xe.com/ucc/

13. wcngu1

wcngu1 New Member

yeah I checked out 11speed.com but I'd have to pay about 20 bucks postage anyway haha I"m already buying stuff from totalcycling.com so I might as well buy i t there where it is $161 haha. Thanks for the head up though!

14. kleng

kleng New Member

The Shimano Ultegra pedals are cheaper at Deanwoods.
    Since they stock most of the items your'e looking at you should give them a ring and get a package deal which will be cheaper than their internet prices.
    Then you can compare this to the overseas prices to make sure your getting the best deal. I have bought a heap of stuff of them (Dean) and dealing with them is the easiest.

What I've found is a some overseas companies often send you old stock, floor stock, parts missing stock or the wrong items because its so difficult and costly for you to return it to them. I had one entire shipment of 6 Conti GP4000 tire go missing from Ribble cycles, they didn't insure or arrange a tracking for the package so they were lost. Since they didn't have any proof of shipping I suspect they did'nt ship the items in the first place. Luckily my credit card company refunded me the money but it took a while. I've had the best overseas service from Total Cycling (Stephanie at Total Cycling is the best) , GB cycles in U.K ( I got a pair of Shimano R151 for Aud $135 landed) and Competitive cyclist in the U.S.

Always go for tracking and or insurance.

15. wcngu1

wcngu1 New Member

yeah I"m leaning towards the compag gears as they are also from totalcycling.com and they are the cheapest place I see them to be =) Its nice to know that site is reliable haha

16. lks

lks New Member

If you want the best, and price is no object: Look Keo carbon/Ti, DMT Flash, Giro Atmos and Oakley Pro M. If anyone has tried any of these, and found something better, I am sure they will post.