Need a little help from the Maestros of Computrainer

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by maxroadrash, Sep 27, 2013.

1. maxroadrash

maxroadrash New Member

Guys-
    I eBayed a Computrainer a couple weeks ago and have been using to do intervals. It seems to work fine but the software leaves a LOT to be desired.
    I've been using Racermate 1 in erg mode for these intervals but now it's time to do some testing. While I have LOTS of questions about this machine,
    right now what I need to know is how to set up an FTP type test. Since you have to set the resistance wattage in erg, that doesn't seem like the appropriate
    way. I've done searches here and elsewhere and haven't found any info on how best to do this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    I should mention also that that the software really doesn't run well on my laptop with Win 7. I often have to close everything else and reboot to make it run at all.
    This on a machine that runs Autocad Inventor and Photoshop at the same time with no issues.
    Thanks,
    Max

Tags:

2. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I don't know about the problems you are having with Windows 7 because I use an old netbook computer that runs Windows XP with my CT. You might want to try running your laptop in XP mode. Also, do you have the CT Quick Setup and User Guides (PDFs)? If not, I can send them to you.

As to doing an FTP test, you don't need to use the CT with a laptop at all. Just pump up your tire and set the press-on force (it doesn't really matter how much force so long as the tire doesn't slip, about 1.5 rotations from initial contact). Turn on the CT power and press F2 for ergo mode. Warm up your tire and the CT motor (about 10 minutes). Press [+] and [-] simultaneously and bring your speed up to >25mph. When "UP" disappears from the lower right corner of the CT display, stop pedaling and coast to a stop. Press F3 to save the rolling resistance. Then press F2 again to go back into ergo mode with the rolling resistance set. Now when you set power on the CT (with the [+] and [-] keys), your true power should approximate the CT watts. However, if you have a power meter, that will be a more reliable measure of power.

Personally, I do my max power testing with a constant power to exhaustion protocol. Basically, I estimate my max constant power for a target duration based on prior tests at that duration or other durations. After I get warmed up, I just set the target power and ride it until I can't hold it any longer. Even if the actual duration is not exactly equal to my target duration, I still get a valid data point for the Monod Critical Power Model, from which I can estimate my MPs for a wide range of durations.

3. maxroadrash

maxroadrash New Member

Quote: Originally Posted by RapDaddyo .
    I don't know about the problems you are having with Windows 7 because I use an old netbook computer that runs Windows XP with my CT. You might want to try running your laptop in XP mode. Also, do you have the CT Quick Setup and User Guides (PDFs)? If not, I can send them to you.

As to doing an FTP test, you don't need to use the CT with a laptop at all. Just pump up your tire and set the press-on force (it doesn't really matter how much force so long as the tire doesn't slip, about 1.5 rotations from initial contact). Turn on the CT power and press F2 for ergo mode. Warm up your tire and the CT motor (about 10 minutes). Press [+] and [-] simultaneously and bring your speed up to >25mph. When "UP" disappears from the lower right corner of the CT display, stop pedaling and coast to a stop. Press F3 to save the rolling resistance. Then press F2 again to go back into ergo mode with the rolling resistance set. Now when you set power on the CT (with the [+] and [-] keys), your true power should approximate the CT watts. However, if you have a power meter, that will be a more reliable measure of power.

Personally, I do my max power testing with a constant power to exhaustion protocol. Basically, I estimate my max constant power for a target duration based on prior tests at that duration or other durations. After I get warmed up, I just set the target power and ride it until I can't hold it any longer. Even if the actual duration is not exactly equal to my target duration, I still get a valid data point for the Monod Critical Power Model, from which I can estimate my MPs for a wide range of durations.

RDO-
    I don't have the user guides or quick setup info. If I understand it correctly using the CT without the laptop leaves me no way to save a file from the ride and I think I'd like to have that.
    I have a powertap but one of the reasons I bought this was so I could leave a dedicated bike set up in it so I'd like to avoid using that if possible especially since I wouldn't be using it for training purposes.
    Since I posted, I tried "building" a 40k TT course in the 3D software with a 2% grade. That *looks* promising. I guess I'll jump on it and see what happens.
    I wasn't aware that I could run the laptop in XP mode. How is that done?
    Thanks,
    Max

4. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

5. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

Quote: Originally Posted by maxroadrash .
    Guys-
    I eBayed a Computrainer a couple weeks ago and have been using to do intervals. It seems to work fine but the software leaves a LOT to be desired.
    I've been using Racermate 1 in erg mode for these intervals but now it's time to do some testing. While I have LOTS of questions about this machine,
    right now what I need to know is how to set up an FTP type test. Since you have to set the resistance wattage in erg, that doesn't seem like the appropriate
    way. I've done searches here and elsewhere and haven't found any info on how best to do this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    I should mention also that that the software really doesn't run well on my laptop with Win 7. I often have to close everything else and reboot to make it run at all.
    This on a machine that runs Autocad Inventor and Photoshop at the same time with no issues.
    Thanks,
    Max

Get this.
    http://perfprostudio.com/Studio.aspx
    Problem solved.

6. maxroadrash

maxroadrash New Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Alex Simmons .

Get this.
    http://perfprostudio.com/Studio.aspx
    Problem solved.

This looks like nice software Alex. I'll download the demo. Looks a bit like a souped up WKO. Is that about right?
    Thanks,
    Max

7. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

Quote: Originally Posted by maxroadrash .

This looks like nice software Alex. I'll download the demo. Looks a bit like a souped up WKO. Is that about right?
    Thanks,
    Max

There are many facets to it but the one I was mostly pointing you to was the software for controlling the CT which in itself is comprehensive, and very flexible. You can use the fundamental elements or really go deep and do things like create your own video erg files, schedule an erg training plan etc. It's also very efficient software in that it doesn't require a high spec machine. I bought a 2nd hand windows PC for ~$150 that it runs on perfectly well.

8. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

There's also a built in FTP test function.