need a little help here...

George Stutevil

Guest
Hi,

I want to install a 7-speed freewheel to an old strong 5-speed rim. Would I be able to use it on my
road bike where I currently have a 7 speed freehub and RSX set-up?

I know...the answer is set it up and see, but I am hoping someone here can save me the labor and the
mistake if it isn't possible.

thanks,

> Hi,
>
> I want to install a 7-speed freewheel to an old strong 5-speed rim. Would I be able to use it on
> my road bike where I currently have a 7 speed freehub and RSX set-up?

You're probably going to need a longer axle, and to re-dish the wheel before you can use it on your
new bike. RSX = 130mm spacing, old 5sp = 126mm spacing.

> I know...the answer is set it up and see, but I am hoping someone here can save me the labor and
> the mistake if it isn't possible.

Assuming that you get the spacing on the axle right, and you re-dish the wheel, it should work fine.
I've done the upgrade from 7sp FW to 8sp FW the same way.

Mike

"George Stuteville" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I want to install a 7-speed freewheel to an old strong 5-speed rim. Would I be able to use it on
> my road bike where I currently have a 7 speed freehub and RSX set-up?
>
> I know...the answer is set it up and see, but I am hoping someone here can save me the labor and
> the mistake if it isn't possible.
>
> thanks,

I think you want to screw a 7 speed freewheel onto an older 5 speed wheel, right? Measure the
distance from the seat of the freewheel thread on your current seven speed wheel and duplicate that
spacing on your five speed wheel, re-center the rim over the locknuts and you're set! A look at the
left side might lead you to add spacing there as well to keep the spoke tension relatively even left
to right. If you do then you're almost certainly up for a new axle but those are cheap and
plentiful.

If you measure carefully and buy another seven speed freewheel you'll be able to use either of your
wheels in this bike.

We used to do a lot of this work, synchronizing wheels, when freewheel setup varied widely from bike
to bike. With modern cassette systems we just adhere to Campagnolo's standard and every wheel shifts
in every bike.

On Thu, 1 May 2003 11:27:50 -0700, "Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to install a 7-speed freewheel to an old strong 5-speed rim. Would I be able to use it on
>> my road bike where I currently have a 7 speed freehub and RSX set-up?
>
>You're probably going to need a longer axle, and to re-dish the wheel before you can use it on your
>new bike. RSX = 130mm spacing, old 5sp = 126mm spacing.

It's worse than that. Old 5sp = 120mm spacing.

"John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 1 May 2003 11:27:50 -0700, "Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote:
>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I want to install a 7-speed freewheel to an old strong 5-speed rim. Would I be able to use it
> >> on my road bike where I currently have a 7 speed freehub and RSX set-up?
> >
> >You're probably going to need a longer axle, and to re-dish the wheel
before
> >you can use it on your new bike. RSX = 130mm spacing, old 5sp = 126mm spacing.
>
> It's worse than that. Old 5sp = 120mm spacing.

Since I started at 6sp, I keep forgetting about that...

Mike