Need a little help

1stshot

Oct 10, 2005
First I must introduce myself. My name is David and I live in Central Texas (about 30 miles from the home of Lance). About a year ago I really got interested in Road Racing. I was overweight but in great physical condition (I could run a 4.6s 40 yard dash at 230lb). Well I have trimmed myself down on a very strict diet and workout plane. I have increased my riding ever since. Because of my starting weight I started out on a cheap MB from Walmart. I am at the point of riding 30-70 miles a day on my MB. I do it at a fairly fast in the sense that I went on a 30 mile joyride with some local riders and I could keep up just fine ob my MB. BTW im at 190lb now at 5'11.5'' (still heavy i know, but im only 8%bodyfat, im just a big boy but im going to get this weight down even more). I planned on doing some races, somthing small at start just to see where i stand but i have not looked much into racing dates, entry, things such as this. Like i said i pretty much live in austin so if somone could give me some guidance on races to start out with, what milage to train for, and some possible times i need to get down to it would be awesome. BTW just bought me a new bike and i bought big from the start Orbea Orca :). Any info or openions on good starter races plz. Thanx guys and glad to be part of the forums, plan on sicking around for a while :)

1stshot said:
First I must introduce myself. My name is David and I live in Central Texas (about 30 miles from the home of Lance). About a year ago I really got interested in Road Racing. I was overweight but in great physical condition (I could run a 4.6s 40 yard dash at 230lb). Well I have trimmed myself down on a very strict diet and workout plane. I have increased my riding ever since. Because of my starting weight I started out on a cheap MB from Walmart. I am at the point of riding 30-70 miles a day on my MB. I do it at a fairly fast in the sense that I went on a 30 mile joyride with some local riders and I could keep up just fine ob my MB. BTW im at 190lb now at 5'11.5'' (still heavy i know, but im only 8%bodyfat, im just a big boy but im going to get this weight down even more). I planned on doing some races, somthing small at start just to see where i stand but i have not looked much into racing dates, entry, things such as this. Like i said i pretty much live in austin so if somone could give me some guidance on races to start out with, what milage to train for, and some possible times i need to get down to it would be awesome. BTW just bought me a new bike and i bought big from the start Orbea Orca :). Any info or openions on good starter races plz. Thanx guys and glad to be part of the forums, plan on sicking around for a while :)
Congrats on your weight loss. Don't worry about being fast when you enter your first race. For TTs, don't even worry about your bike handling and group riding skills. You just show up at the start line on time and go. For mass start RRs, you might want to do some group riding first, to get comfortable with riding with tight spacing. But, basically just hold your line and don't overlap wheels and you'll be okay. Crits can be a bit dangerous, so you might want to do a few mass start RRs first. You need a license, which you can get online here http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=579. As to race category, you don't have a choice -- Cat5, unless you're over 35. For cycling clubs in the Austin area, start here http://www.usacycling.org/clubs/index.php?state=TX. Some of these clubs will have a list of local and regional races or a link to a website with such details. Some of these clubs are recreational riding clubs and some are racing clubs. Most of the clubs will have weekly rides (e.g., weekends) and one or more of them may have a weekly training crit, at least during the "season." Usually, "visitors" are invited to join their rides (although you may have to sign a liability waiver). Have at it and good luck. Don't crash and everything else will work out.

how many of these showup races or joyride races do you think i should take place in before i try to get fast about it? Any number or just until i get comfortbale? BTW been using the stripes on the road to help me try to keep my line lol I think its actually working. thanx for the good info

1stshot said:
how many of these showup races or joyride races do you think i should take place in before i try to get fast about it? Any number or just until i get comfortbale? BTW been using the stripes on the road to help me try to keep my line lol I think its actually working. thanx for the good info
If it's to prep for a mass start RR, a handful should do the trick. If it's to prep for a crit, I'd double that number. The thing that will take you (and others) down is wheel kisses. If you overlap your front wheel with the back wheel of the guy you're following, you're asking for trouble. He has absolutely no responsibility to worry about you if he swerves for any reason. It's your problem to remain clear. Keep your fingers wrapped around your brake lever and don't hesitate to brake if you start to overlap. Also, if you approach a climb, be careful because when a guy gets off the saddle to climb his bike speed slows momentarily and you'll overlap. You might want to monogram your gloves. One glove can say, "Don't Overlap!" The other glove can say, "Hold your line!" Follow those rules and you won't crash and if you don't crash you have had a successful race. BTW, even TdF riders go down from wheel kisses.

RapDaddyo said:
If it's to prep for a mass start RR, a handful should do the trick. If it's to prep for a crit, I'd double that number. The thing that will take you (and others) down is wheel kisses. If you overlap your front wheel with the back wheel of the guy you're following, you're asking for trouble. He has absolutely no responsibility to worry about you if he swerves for any reason. It's your problem to remain clear. Keep your fingers wrapped around your brake lever and don't hesitate to brake if you start to overlap. Also, if you approach a climb, be careful because when a guy gets off the saddle to climb his bike speed slows momentarily and you'll overlap. You might want to monogram your gloves. One glove can say, "Don't Overlap!" The other glove can say, "Hold your line!" Follow those rules and you won't crash and if you don't crash you have had a successful race. BTW, even TdF riders go down from wheel kisses.

I don't think I am anywhere near as experienced as you, but I do have to take minor issue with one thing you said about not hesitating to hit the brakes. I think a lot of new people will interpret this as "it's fine to clamp down on the brakes." In many of the group rides I've done with new people, most of the problems tend to be from a new rider getting nervous and slaming on the brakes. If I see I am about to overlap, I'll sit up some, or slow my pedaling, but I'll try to avoid the brakes. Usually all you need is a little wind to blunt your speed slightly.

-Matt

mattjf said:
I don't think I am anywhere near as experienced as you, but I do have to take minor issue with one thing you said about not hesitating to hit the brakes. I think a lot of new people will interpret this as "it's fine to clamp down on the brakes." In many of the group rides I've done with new people, most of the problems tend to be from a new rider getting nervous and slaming on the brakes. If I see I am about to overlap, I'll sit up some, or slow my pedaling, but I'll try to avoid the brakes. Usually all you need is a little wind to blunt your speed slightly.

-Matt
I think you're assuming that when I say, "hit the brakes" that means to brake hard. Not true. You would only use your brakes to the extent necessary to avoid overlapping wheels, and usually just a tap will do. If you're in tight on someone's wheel (e.g., less than a foot), then often the only option you have is to tap your brake to avoid overlapping. You just don't slow down quickly enough by sitting up or backing off your pedaling. Things happen too quickly in a tight pack and one must react quickly or risk going down (and take others with you). So, I stand by my comment. BTW, this is the main reason it takes more experience to ride in a tight bunch in a strong crosswind, because the optimal position is offset and one often ends up overlapping wheels to get in the right position for drafting. This is when one has to be even more alert.

RapDaddyo said:
I think you're assuming that when I say, "hit the brakes" that means to brake hard. Not true. .
I know thats not what you mean. If you read what I wrote, I said some new riders might interpret this as hitting the brakes hard :).

I mostly wanted to just add a comment to the thread for new riders reading that it meant don't hit the brakes hard. The other day I almost crashed into someone who got nervous and clamped down hard on the brakes.

-Matt

mattjf said:
I mostly wanted to just add a comment to the thread for new riders reading that it meant don't hit the brakes hard. The other day I almost crashed into someone who got nervous and clamped down hard on the brakes.
Good point, Matt. Thanks for injecting it into the discussion. In part because I am so focused on avoiding wheel overlaps, I actually get most nervous when a guy is outside the pace line and is eyeing a 1/2 bike length gap between my wheel the guy's wheel in front of me. I can almost see the guy thinking, "Gee, I wonder if I can get in that hole?" If I'm already about as far to the side of the road as I can get, I really get nervous because I would have nowhere to go. If he makes a move to get in the hole, there's no doubt that I'm going to brake but I worry about bringing down the guy behind me who is probably not expecting me to brake with a 1/2 bike gap in front of me.

I can see how both of yall’s points stand. One I think the overlap is a wreak waiting to happen, second I think in that situation you probably need to be aware of all people around you, including ones behind you (If you do decide to brake hard). I would also like to propose a suggestion! How about a sticky thread on safety precautions when racing???....just a beginners idea

1stshot said:
you probably need to be aware of all people around you, including ones behind you (If you do decide to brake hard).
This sounds like the considerate thing to do, but in reality you can't pay attention to those behind you. For one thing, it's a constantly changing situation. But, basically you are too busy focused on what's happening in front of you and beside you. You have to be constantly alert to avoid overlapping wheels and also if a gap opens up ahead of you. If a gap opens when the guys on front are surging, you have to react instantly and come around one or more guys immediately. Otherwise, you're history in about 5 seconds flat. Usually, you just have to ignore whatever is going on behind you, at least until the sprint finish and even then it's dangerous to look back to see who's where.