need a little help

elanzarotta

Jun 30, 2011
I'm new to riding, it's still something i just do to relax. but since I'm still new and learning I'm looking for some new equipment. i have a bike, obviously, but i'm now looking for pedals and shoes. does anyone have some good tips for a starter and a good way or website to find reasonably price stuff. Also, what's the difference between the types of pedals and what is best. oh, and btw i have a road bike.

thanks for any help, i appreciate it

Sheldon Brown (RIP) is a great resource to learn about all parts of your bike:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html#pedal

A quick answer is that there's plain/clipped pedals, and clipless pedals. Clipless pedals have cleats that lock you in, which attach to a special shoe. Clipped/plain pedals are like 'street' pedals, but there are quite a few who prefer them. I have both and often swap depending on the ride or the mood.

Shimano also makes a couple hybrid pedals that are clipless on one side and plain on the other, so they can be flipped and ridden both ways.

The best thing to do is find a good local independent bike store near you. The single-brand and big stores are good for deals, but they're hard to learn about what you really need, and can often cost you money in the long run if you don't know what you're getting.

When you know what you need, you can try some websites such as nashbar.com or performancebike.com for clipless pedals. or velo-orange.com for plain pedals.

Hope this helps

I strongly suggest that you refrain from the use of clipless pedals until you gain experience as a rider. You are much more likely to make mistakes in the fundamentals of riding early on. This often requires that you put a foot down so that you can remain up! Even experienced riders proficient in unclipping their foot from the pedal can have trouble in an emergency situation. Just watch the Tour De France and you'll occasionaly see the best in the world go down and not get their foot out in time.

Get a cheap set of regular flat Platform aka Rat Trap aka Block pedals and ride on these for a few months until you get your "sea(bike?)legs". Then make your transition.